Why become a member? ×

StageClix Digital Wirelss - legal for worldwide use

synaesthesia

Heads up

About 400 quid.
Nifty mix of AKG bug +X2.

[url="http://www.stageclix.com/Products"]http://www.stageclix.com/Products[/url]

They are Dutch, so they are honest enough to publish latency specs at <3ms, which is certainly not Ferrari specs in the digital world. I don't recall X2 publishing their latency specs, and there is some minor latency in the X2 I can hear.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='dood' post='245651' date='Jul 22 2008, 08:20 PM']No Compander!!!!!! This I have GOT to hear!!! - Every wireless I have ever tried has let me down.. cos I am soooo fussy! Could this be something decent at last?[/quote]

The X2 dgital wireless don't have companders either.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' post='245651' date='Jul 22 2008, 09:20 PM']No Compander!!!!!! This I have GOT to hear!!! - Every wireless I have ever tried has let me down.. cos I am soooo fussy! Could this be something decent at last?[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compander"]For those of you who like me had a "WTF is a compander" moment...[/url]

Why wouldn't you want a compander? It seems to be used to give a better signal / noise ratio and to prevent the loss of dynamic range through radio transmision. both of these are good things aren't they?

and 3ms? sh*t! I wish I could play so well that I'm less than 3ms out from the drummer :)

Saying that, I'm no Audiophile, I use a t-bone wireless set (50 squids worth :huh:) and i'm over the moon at how quiet it is compared to using a lead (maybe the lead was acting as a 20ft ariel) Have to say that I can think of better things to spend 400 notes on :huh:

[quote name='SteveO' post='253300' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:55 PM']Why wouldn't you want a compander? It seems to be used to give a better signal / noise ratio and to prevent the loss of dynamic range through radio transmision. both of these are good things aren't they?[/quote]

A compander compresses a signal so that it travels with ease an then expands the signal again upon reception. Effectively, it is the sonic equivalent of reconstituted food.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='254005' date='Aug 4 2008, 12:27 AM']A compander compresses a signal so that it travels with ease an then expands the signal again upon reception. Effectively, it is the sonic equivalent of reconstituted food.[/quote]

Yes, sorry, I didn't make myself clear (doing a lot of that recently... must try harder :huh:)

If transmitting over an FM wireless system then your dynamic range will be limited to that of the FM medium (which is pants), unless you use a clever bit of electronics that compreses your signal to a level that isn't affected by the limitations of FM radio then expand it back to give a closer aproximation to the original than would be acheived otherwise (which is still pants, but maybe smaller pants with a bit of frilly black lace around the edges). in this regard, most people would surely agree that companding the signal is the lesser of the two evils of that and not companding it.

After reading a bit more into this (only a bit mind... I'm supposed to be working :)) digital systems don't suffer from a restrictive dynamic range, and so shouldn't need companding anyway. I'd go as far as to assume that NO digital wireless system would use companders - what would be the point of adding to the production cost to make it sound sh*t?

"no compander" on digital wireless... bit like putting "no flavourings" on bottled spring water isn't it? :huh:

[edited, coz I can't spell aproximation... still looks wrong, but the spell checker says it's ok so there you go]

Edited by SteveO

[quote name='dood' post='245651' date='Jul 22 2008, 08:20 PM']No Compander!!!!!! This I have GOT to hear!!! - Every wireless I have ever tried has let me down.. cos I am soooo fussy! Could this be something decent at last?[/quote]

Planning to leap about a bit then Dood?

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='254905' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:46 PM']Technically this is not true. the AD/DA process has limits.[/quote]
Yeah I know, just couldn't be arsed to go along that tangent as we're getting into the teratory that most people wouldn't hear the difference in a blind test. :)

[quote name='SteveO' post='255035' date='Aug 5 2008, 07:33 AM']Yeah I know, just couldn't be arsed to go along that tangent as we're getting into the teratory that most people wouldn't hear the difference in a blind test. :)[/quote]

But then they missed a trick by not including a digital out for those of us with Pods and the suchlike that have digital ins and we would be able to skip a set of D-A A-D conversions.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='242630' date='Jul 18 2008, 01:42 PM']Heads up

About 400 quid.
Nifty mix of AKG bug +X2.

[url="http://www.stageclix.com/Products"]http://www.stageclix.com/Products[/url]

They are Dutch, so they are honest enough to publish latency specs at <3ms, which is certainly not Ferrari specs in the digital world. I don't recall X2 publishing their latency specs, and there is some minor latency in the X2 I can hear.[/quote]

Funny to read about stageclix: a friend of mine is now evaluating this system, and he is pretty impressed with the system regarding quality of sound and useability. I really wonder when they will start selling the final version. Anybody knows a date?

Best of luck - shoesize44

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='Delberthot' post='334450' date='Nov 22 2008, 03:10 PM']Anyone heard if they are actually going to be available in December and if they will be £400? :rolleyes: or less? :)

Not much on the website but if anyone knows any insider stuff then I'm all ears.[/quote]
This is Tony Reeves from MTR Ltd, the UK stageClix distributor. I'm pleased to say that the "Jack" system will be available from the 2nd week of May, 2009, and the price will be £434.70 including UK VAT. More at www.mtraudio.com or 01923-234050

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='481283' date='May 6 2009, 06:20 PM']Hi Tony and welcome to BassChat

Completely off-topic (for this thread), but I'd just like to say that you are one of my favourite bass players, and I loved your work with Greenslade!

Many thanks for the info too.[/quote]
Thank's very much! I'm still playing, more than before actually, with all sorts of different bands, and I speak now and then to Dave Greenslade and see him occasionally.

Best

Tony

• 3 months later...

[quote name='basstony' post='585732' date='Aug 31 2009, 01:04 PM']Thank's very much! I'm still playing, more than before actually, with all sorts of different bands, and I speak now and then to Dave Greenslade and see him occasionally.

Best

Tony[/quote]
Just a quick update on stageClix - we now have available an extension lead (a locking Neutrik jack socket on a short cable, with a Neutrik mono jack plug on the other end), plus a leather pouch with a belt strap. You put the transmitter in the pouch, and the pouch on your belt or guitar strap. This solves the problem with a very few instruments where access for the transmitter jack is restricted, also some active instruments with less than perfect screening picking up interference.

Dave Greenslade will have a new solo CD out soon called Routes and Roots.

Best
Tony

My concern with this kit is its operating frequency of 2.4GHz.

While being legal worldwide some other uses for this frequency range (2.4 to 2483.5 GHz) are: Wireless computer networks (WiFi), RF tags (RFID), Bluetooth short-range links, video links, wireless microphones, microwave ovens, movement detectors, industrial control and monitoring which are all pretty common.

IMO I would avoid wireless kit in this range as it's just too much of a minefield to depend on.

Regards,
JTB.

This is what makes me laugh about Digital systems.... there is far more consumer kit operating on these frequencies than analogue equipment. There are also a lot of other inherent problems with Digital systems such as drop out.... when they do have interference they completely drop off, unlike analogue. Also can you physically switch frequencies... I don't think so. Battery life is normally very poor... though these stage clix systems are aimed at the amateur market rather than pro I guess it's not so much an issue.

[quote name='crez5150' post='682971' date='Dec 13 2009, 01:33 PM']This is what makes me laugh about Digital systems.... there is far more consumer kit operating on these frequencies than analogue equipment. There are also a lot of other inherent problems with Digital systems such as drop out.... when they do have interference they completely drop off, unlike analogue. Also can you physically switch frequencies... I don't think so. Battery life is normally very poor... though these stage clix systems are aimed at the amateur market rather than pro I guess it's not so much an issue.[/quote]

+1 to all that Crez

I had these in for appraisal and am impressed - I went off wireless systems years ago, this system answers all my previous concerns about, sound quality, battery life, ease of use, size.

If you come in to the shop you are welcome to try this system out - I am using one myself now ;-)

Regards

Mark