Why become a member? ×

ON HOLD pending sale Yamaha BB2025 (3TS) - perfect - £1275 (now with images)
£1295

lozbass

The long-scale cull continues so next-up is my Yamaha BB2025 (now at £1275).

Reviews are all over the place and I'll assume that if you're looking here, you know what these are about. The best passive pickups I've ever used (only a US Lakland JO came close) and stunning output for a passive bass. Build, fit, finish and attention to detail is legendary - a fully hand-built and the zenith of the Yamaha family. Take a look at the Basswhisperer review on youtube to check-out tonal range - indeed, a good review in general.

The bass is a 5 string (low b in 3 tone sunburst - nice vintage look). I went for the 2025 in preference to the X. All down to personal taste of course, however, I find the X a little fussy and prefer the nod to the original BB aesthetic.

The neck is an elegant flattened C profile - very slender, hand-shaped and super easy to play - seriously fast and comfortable. The satin finish means it's very slick. One of the less discussed features is the tight spacing at the nut - 1.75" for a five string - beautiful if you like uncluttered but tight at the bottom end. The strings fan to around 19mm spacing at the bridge. Playability overall is outrageously good. The serious thought and trialling that has gone into the BB20 range is massively impressive.

The bass is in excellent condition and could almost pass for new. There is some very minor player wear (very light fingernail marks just under the G - this really is minor and you need to hold the bass in the right plane/light to find it - just aiming for complete disclosure). This should polish out easily if anybody is bothered. Protective film on the backplate is still in place, as is the original identification sticker. Overall, a stunning bass in beautiful, almost un-played condition - no dents, dings, dongs, scratches and perfect 'as new' chrome and hardware. The original Yamaha case is in excellent condition with just the odd small mark (again, not far-off new) - the case has the protective plastic on the handle. The owners manual, allen keys and case keys are included. I'll include the almost unused original strings too if required.

The bass has been professionally set-up for this sale and was re-strung with Status Hotwires (light - 30-110). The action is super-low and buzz-free - the bass is gorgeous, spotlessly clean and completely ready to go. If I played long-scale or 5s, this wouldn't be going anywhere.

From what I can see, these tend to go as 'used' instruments for around £1500-1600. I'm pricing this at under £1300 - a serious bargain. No trades thanks, other than very exotic short-scales - I'm divesting my standard scales and 5s. I can ship within the UK for around £15 on a next day service. I'll consider European sales but I'm busy and don't really have time for any extra hassle. Shipping at the buyers expense and risk. Insurance can be difficult with basses but I can try to sort this if required. Highly preferable would be collection from central London or Manchester (or possibly Birmingham).

Edited by lozbass

Thanks - sorry, no images inside the cavity - I've never removed the plate (or even the plastic film covering). I suspect it's exactly the same as any other BB2025 or BB2024. I don't have an accurate weight but I'd say between 8.5 and 9lbs - very solid and substantial without feeling heavy at all. The balance is sublime with a strap pin that comes down to around 11th fret. There's an immense amount of thought in every detail of the bass and it's clearly the result of a great deal of research and testing. I don't tend to play live but I can comfortably wear the bass on a strap for long periods - and I'm very weight sensitive. For me, high-end body-shaped Spectors are the most comfortable of all instruments - the Yamaha is a close second. I've recorded and it sits remarkably well in a mix - all the P and J tones that we know and a much more aggressive, modern tone if required. It's the perfect do-anything fantastically well bass. If is was shorter-scale and a four string, then I wouldn't consider selling

Bassman, Dingus, gentlemen, thank you for the very kind words. Much appreciated. I think that anybody that has tried one of these will attest to the quality. Everything has been thought-through in minute detail and the quality of execution/construction is world-class. I've been fortunate enough to have owned some beautiful basses from the world's most renowned luthiers and hand-builders (Sadowsky, Alleva Coppolo, Fender Masterbuilt, Wal etc.) and I can say that in all honesty, the Yamaha BB2024/5s are in every sense their equal. Build, components, fit and finish are amazingly good. I played the 2025 for five minutes yesterday and then compared it to a US Spector - there is absolutely no difference in quality - indeed, the finish on the Yamaha is probably more impressive (though the Spector is gorgeous).

To answer a query, the case is original to the bass and is a very good fit (a very nice case indeed). I have many more images so please just mail if you need anything specific.

Hi, can someone help me understand the difference between this and a BB425X ? Biggest difference I can see is that on the 425X the controls are in a front cavity, hence on a plate, and also with a scratch plate. My 425X is plain white finish, and this is sunburst. Apart from that, body shape, neck, pickups controls and bridge all appear to be practically identical. EDIT just noticed my 'P' pickup has pole pieces, not blades.

So is this made in a different country ? Hand finished ? A vintage piece ? Different woods ? I'm interested in what accounts for the difference in value.

Edited by BigBeatNut

Thanks for all the very positive comments, and PMs now answered. I honestly can't comment on the 425X as I haven't had a chance to play one - I'm sure they're lovely basses but as suggested, I think the differences are discussed in other threads. All I can say is that this BB2025 is on a par with the very highest-end of the boutique market: really remarkable and distinctive. I can be in Manchester and the North West in the next day or two if that helps with handover at all

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1401194843' post='2460981']
Hi, can someone help me understand the difference between this and a BB425X ? Biggest difference I can see is that on the 425X the controls are in a front cavity, hence on a plate, and also with a scratch plate. My 425X is plain white finish, and this is sunburst. Apart from that, body shape, neck, pickups controls and bridge all appear to be practically identical. EDIT just noticed my 'P' pickup has pole pieces, not blades.

So is this made in a different country ? Hand finished ? A vintage piece ? Different woods ? I'm interested in what accounts for the difference in value.
[/quote]

This post should start you off http://basschat.co.uk/topic/1021-replacement-yamaha-bb-series-pickups/page__view__findpost__p__2462158

Pete, Rayman, thanks very much indeed - much appreciated.

I've answered PMs and my apologies - I failed to state in my original post (now amended) that I'm not looking for trades. Some gorgeous basses on offer but I'm divesting my standard-scales and 5s. Unless it's an exotic and extremely classy short-scale (31" or less), I'm afraid that a trade isn't on the horizon. Just to repeat, I can ship to UK and Europe if necessary (though collection or handover would be preferred).

Edited by lozbass