Why become a member? ×

Worst bassline ever

martthebass

[quote name='anti-barbie' post='25376' date='Jun 30 2007, 07:35 PM']If you mean Unskinny Bop, then it was by Poison. And i agree, it's boring, unimaginative and thoroughly carp[/quote]

but to be fair, the bass line is pretty much just a pedal throughout. You might not like the song, but you can't really say it's the worst bassline ever because of that.

[quote name='Musky' post='25559' date='Jul 1 2007, 11:43 AM']To be fair, most of those suggestions are just simple basslines - which doesn't make them crap per se. A crap bassline IMHO is one that actually detracts from a song.[/quote]

+1. Or something which is out of time or out of tune (which is unforgiveable thesedays!). Simple basslines are effective supporting other parts of the music, ook they may be boring but they're not by default "crap"

Can't remember its name, but there was some crappy rap 'tune' which ripped off part of the vocal from Foreigner's 'Cold As Ice'... just the "you're as cold as ice/willing to sacrifice" bit. The bass came from god knows where, but was horridly distorted and not even in the same key. It caused me pain to hear it. They even used it on a Colgate advert on the telly, and I had to change channel every time it came on.
My other candidates are 'Baby Please Don't Go" by KC and the Sunshine Band, and "He Ain't Heavy" by the Hollies. Tuning is crap and the timing is worse.

[quote name='Musky' post='25559' date='Jul 1 2007, 11:43 AM']A crap bassline IMHO is one that actually detracts from a song.

Something that Mark King has been guilty of at times.[/quote]

Funny you should mention MK... most of his basslines are good,

But some of the solos seem to loose the timing and the groove.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='25610' date='Jul 1 2007, 03:35 PM']Funny you should mention MK... most of his basslines are good,

But some of the solos seem to loose the timing and the groove.[/quote]
+1. MK is the master (well, one of the masters) of the truly melodic bassline. Often his lines carry the melody of the entire song AND pin it down too. But I agree, his solos aren't great. Grooveless for the most part.