Why become a member? ×

oh God, please talk me out of it, major gas!

skidder652003

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1401012301' post='2458999']
A decent set of valves can go over £200 without allowing for biasing etc :(
[/quote]

But you bias the SVT yourself.

£222 for a matched set of six Gold Lion (the best according to Matamp) KT88's from Hot Rox.

http://www.hotroxuk.com/genalex-gold-lion-kt88.html

Repair bill including a complete new set of both pre and power amp valves was over £300!
A decent set of valves can go over £200 without allowing for biasing etc :(
[/quote]

Easy, Captain Bringdown! You are correct, however. And as you know, nothing worth having is cheap. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401012856' post='2459007']

Easy, Captain Bringdown! You are correct, however. And as you know, nothing worth having is cheap. :)
[/quote]

I was just trying to help protect someone who could get caught with a big bill :(

I love SVT's but based on my experience they can be the most expensive amps to get repaired. Better to get one checked over whilst covered by warranty than get hit with a big bill in a few months?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1401012713' post='2459004']

But you bias the SVT yourself.

£222 for a matched set of six Gold Lion (the best according to Matamp) KT88's from Hot Rox.

http://www.hotroxuk.com/genalex-gold-lion-kt88.html
[/quote]

£222 is over £200?

Easy to rack up another £75 on labour costs if you're not confident about installing a full set of valves :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1401013260' post='2459015']
I was just trying to help protect someone who could get caught with a big bill :( I love SVT's but based on my experience they can be the most expensive amps to get repaired. Better to get one checked over whilst covered by warranty than get hit with a big bill in a few months?
[/quote]

You're totally right Barrie, I wasn't being entirely serious - as usual. ;)
But I think the OP has already pulled the trigger on the SVT and we did try to dissuade him! Well... a bit. :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401013480' post='2459022']
You're totally right Barrie, I wasn't being entirely serious - as usual. ;)
But I think the OP has already pulled the trigger on the SVT and we did try to dissuade him! Well... a bit. :unsure:
[/quote]

I absolutely love the tone of an SVT. I owned an SVT2 Non-Pro for a while and thought it was one of the best tones I've ever had. Unfortunately, after running perfectly for a while, it developed a really intermittent fault and it took three different techs to rack down what it was. It turned out to be something relatively simple, just hard to find, and cost me over £200 in the end.

The only reason I sold it was the weight though. It was in a Boogie shock-rack and combined they weighed in at close to 125lbs!

Almost every time I hear an SVT on stage being used by a touring pro I'm really impressed by the sound but I have noticed almost all of them seem to have a backup sitting there as well.

I did spot that the OP has bought this one and it's a great price :)

My advice is just to get it checked out to make sure those pesky valves are in tip top condition. Any decent tech will have a valve tester to see if any are weak. My thought was to get this done whilst it's under the shop warranty. Used gear doesn't have the same sort of protection as new so if anything goes wrong in a few months it may not be covered in the same way :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1401014833' post='2459050']
I absolutely love the tone of an SVT... The only reason I sold it was the weight...
[/quote]

I gigged an SVT CL and 8X10 (in flightcases) with a 76P about 20 years ago and still think it's the best tone I've ever had. [size=4]However I didn't have to haul it, set it up or break it down. Obviously this makes a huge difference. I have a really nice Burman valve set-up (35kg) and it sounds fantastic through my two BFM J12s, but it's often problematic and I generally end up using my MB500 Fusion and Barefaced Big One. Not that it's much of a compromise, mind you... :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

If there's any way you can get the valves checked over then you should definitely do this whilst it's still covered by warranty.
[/quote]

I believe that this amp, because it's a sale item, is 'sold as seen' so I'm guessing there's no warranty

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1401016515' post='2459088']

I believe that this amp, because it's a sale item, is 'sold as seen' so I'm guessing there's no warranty
[/quote]

If it's mail order there's a 7 day returns regulation.

I wouldn't get too panicky though. A simple chat with the guys in the shop could be all that's needed. They very well may have had the valves tested already and/or might offer an extended warranty period :)

Edited by molan

Will ask those nice chaps at Mansons to check the valves, I believe these have 2 biasing switches on the back with LEDs but if i needed a full set I probably would pull out of the deal (but I don't think this will happen!) My biggest worry is my 8ohm 410, will probably add another 210 at 8 Ohm rather than hunting down another 410 at 4 ohm.

There's all sorts of theories about whether it's OK to use an Ampeg with 80hms.

You'll find people saying it's fine, others say it's ok but don't push it, some will say it will shorten valve and may damage your output transformer. A few will say you should pull some power tubes if you're running into 8 ohms and then some more will chop in and say not to it under any circumstances!

I think the answer is probably that it'll work with an 8ohm load but it wasn't designed to do so. With that in mind it's almost certainly safer to use 4ohms if possible :)

Bill Hughes the inventor of the SVT recently posted on TalkBass forums that the 60s + 70s versions will work with an 8 ohm cab without any damage. Not so sure about the more modern ones but as a temp measure it may not harm it if you dont push it too hard.

Where's it made? Is it a USA or a Vietnampeg?
Seriously great price there!!!
If it's USA made it may hold its value better over time than the newer ones, at least in the eyes of Ampeg fan-boys and purists
Still the best tone money can buy I reckon!

Wait, we're supposed to be talking you out of it... um,

Heavy b*st*rds,
don't self-bias unlike a Super Bassman 300
They don't have wifi or gps

Luckily for me I have back room where I hide my new stuff, cough,cough,then tell her,this had for ages but I am running out of excuses these days, oh bugger, I need a markbass cab now, but I'm afraid of the swift kick too my never regions may be quit painfull !!! Hope you enjoy it.

[url="http://s621.photobucket.com/user/skidder652003/media/IMG_20140528_132309_zps2472e400.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s621.photobucket.com/user/skidder652003/media/IMG_20140528_132246_zps4bde1a61.jpg.html"][/url]

It's Here! Managed to sweet Talk Mrs Skidders with promises of untold gig riches from the new sweet tone and a somewhat exagerated value placed upon the possible imminent sale of a used SWR..happy days!

Edited by skidder652003

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1401280723' post='2461961']
It's here! Managed to sweet talk Mrs Skidders with promises of untold gig riches from the new sweet tone and a somewhat exaggerated value placed upon the possible imminent sale of a used SWR... happy days!
[/quote]

Christ, she doesn't still believe all that old crap, does she?? :D
No doubt that explains the Vaseline on the camera lens - for that dreamy 'romantic' look. Nice.

Anyway, very good! Let's have a review ASAP. :)

So...had a go at rehearsal tonight, I won't say any more until I've gigged it but a couple of early thoughts.
Firstly, it's unbelievably powerful, I didn't go above 3 on gain and 2 on master (compared with halfway on gain and master on my 700W solid state SWR)
I ran it through my pedalboard which apart from a Boss TU3 tuner is a Dave Hall Amp VT2-EQ tube pre-amp pedal and a Tube Markbass Compressore, so there's a lot of tubes going around! It's hard to describe the difference with a solid state amp but my initial impression is a thickness or a richness that isn't present in the SWR, and an almost effortless output that didn't feel like it broke a sweat. As I said it's hard to describe but it felt like it was saying " come and have a go if you think you're hard enough", I felt a bit intimidated!

Yeah i have to agree on your mini review skidder and congrats, it looks to be in good shape.
I've been using SVT's now for 28 yrs and that's the reason why - A thick rich tone with unbelievable power, you have to try it through an 8x10" to appreciate what it is capable of.
I've never tried anything that I consider to come close and every other amp i've tried, fails in comparision.
The only trade off is the weight and the risk of going deaf !