Why become a member? ×

No more BadAss II's

theyellowcar

It's an iconic bit of hardware so it's a sad day if it's no longer in production - I do remember reading somewhere that Leo Quan had died - but personally I'm not a big fan. There are various high-mass bridges that are more refined, compact & better engineered than the somewhat crude BA2, in my opinion - Schaller 3D, Babicz Full Contact etc.

Just wondering whether to hang on to the shiny nearly-new BA2 in my spares box, just to see how mad prices go... :ph34r:

Jon.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1400789213' post='2457122']
I seem to recall reading that the production issues were caused by legal problems, rather than logistical.
[/quote]

I remember that.
Unfortunately, there have been lots of different possible reasons bandied about, but none of them seem to have come from the horses mouth.

IIRC Fender were said to be a bit unhappy, but that doesn't seem likely as they ended up buying them to fit to some of their basses.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400791685' post='2457145']
That Fender bridge that looks very much like the Badass is probably a very adequate replacement though. Looks alright to me. I would buy a bass with one on.
[/quote]

Yes, I guess it could be argued that the GL and MM sig basses are modified J basses (neck for the Geddy, electronics for the Marcus) with after-market hi-mass bridges. Maybe it doesn't [i]have[/i] to be a Badass after all... :)

As I've said before, I remain unconvinced whether they add much to the sound of a bass anyway. I swapped the bridge on my Geddy for a standard MIM BBOT and there was no noticeable loss of sustain or tone... YMMV of course!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1400528739' post='2454731']
I'll never understand why people make such a big deal about this bridge and feel the need to fit them as an 'upgrade'. Don't see the appeal and I certainly didn't fall in love with it when I had one on a Fender I used to own. Just a bridge, isn't it?
[/quote]

same here. I much prefer the old style BBOT bridge... It works, I don't see a need to change it. Except for a version with grooved saddles, I like those better for the string spacing adjustability. Simple. Like me :lol: