Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V

discreet

[b]NBD - Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V[/b]

I've been going through some quite radical changes recently, bass-wise at least. After decades of playing the same P bass with a pick, apropos of nothing I've started chopping and changing basses, playing fingerstyle and (possibly most radical of all) begun to get into Jazz basses. Yes, I know.

Maybe it's because I can see the light (or darkness) at the end of life's long tunnel that I have decided to try as many new things as possible before the inevitable decay and degeneration set in. Who knows? But next up I decided to try a 5-string bass (gasp) and when this Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V turned up on Basschat for not very much money (and in my favourite livery - white, black and maple) I decided to go ahead and see what the all the fuss is about.

First impressions are of a very well made and well-finished bass. Also it's heavier than a four-string - who knew? But only by a pound or so - I'd guesstimate this one at around 9.5-10 pounds. Initially more disturbing is the wide fingerboard which allows wide string spacing at the bridge - something I like, as I'm still going through the change - from P basses to J basses, that is - and anything that can facilitate that metamorphosis is a good thing.

At first I thought I had made a terrible mistake as it took some perseverance to not be too distracted by that great washing-line of a B-string lurking there, and the board seemed more 'ironing' than 'fret', but two or three plays through our set revealed a welcome versatility - five strings do indeed allow many more musical and tonal options, and I soon stopped playing the lowest available notes for the hell of it (and because I could) and found that playing higher up the neck meant less playing up and down the fretboard as with a four, and more playing across the fretboard with less hand movement. I like it very much!

Also, be advised - this is a seriously good-quality bass. At least equal to certain US Fenders I've had the privilege of playing - the fit and finish are very good indeed. I had toyed with the idea of swapping out the pups (because Squier pups are bound to be crap, right?) but in fact the stock pups are in no way inferior and sound great. This is not a bass which needs to be modded - at least not immediately. It can be put to very good use straight out of the box.* Even brand new this bass represents exceptional value for money and is something of a bargain, in my humble opinion.

If you DID fit top-of-the-range pups and a spiffy preamp you would have yourself a high-end bass for not very much outlay, as the neck plays superbly and the hardware does its job without fuss or incident. It feels smooth and lovely in your hands (fnarr) and this example is in mint condition. Thanks to Steff (weefunkateer) for looking after it for me! ;)

Going back to a four after this exercise seemed like playing a pencil. I'm actually now loving the wider board, the space, the options and the sound of this bass, and I could see myself using a five exclusively in future.

Which now poses its own set of problems - if this five-love continues I'm going to have three four-string basses on my hands which represent a considerable investment in time, effort and cash. Will they end up in the cupboard under the stairs..? Watch this space.

I thank you! :)

*And so it can, but I found the stock strings to be quite dead and opted for fresh Balls:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237265-strings-the-importance-of-being-ernest/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237265-strings-the-importance-of-being-ernest/[/url]

Edited by discreet

Good to see another happy Squier Jazz bass owner. I've got the 4 string Active Deluxe and I'm mystified as to why owners of more expensive (Fender) jazzes have problems with hum when soloing the pickups because mine is as quiet as a mouse and I see no reason to change a thing with mine. That's a great colour combination too; happy NBD!

love mine to bits! it takes alot of abuse, it also takes the tuning i very well which is down a whole step but i have the low b tuned to c.

sound it might not quite match up to the mody but for out of town shows with limited room in the van i have no problem using it, as it plays really nicely and i have always had a soft spot for jazz basses, and when as discreet said you put them up against the same price fender i just could warrant the extra 1300 quid for the fender.

also from memory when buying one, people really need to stop changing logos to fender one, its a pointless stupid thing to do.

andy

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1400420987' post='2453637']
...awesome basses for the money
[/quote]
[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1400421608' post='2453645']
...Good to see another happy Squier Jazz bass owner.... happy NBD!
[/quote]
[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1400426972' post='2453696']
...I'm happy to have the Squier logo there
[/quote][size=4][quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1400427718' post='2453703'][/size]...love mine to bits!
[/quote]

I love mine to bits too! :gas:[size=4] Thanks for your comments... before owning a Squier I could [/size][i]almost[/i][size=4] see why people would change to a Fender decal... I like to see an F decal on the headstock myself and (going by reputation only) I always imagined Squier must be inferior to Fender instruments - but on this showing I've completely changed my attitude towards these basses and now am proud to sport the Squier logo. This Jazz V is a cracking instrument at any price - I only really bought it as a budget job to see if I could get on with five strings, but I can't put it down, it's giving me mad big grins and I got it for a crazy price! :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

Ive got both the 4 and 5 versions of this but the older ones with the SD pickups. The 4 is top rate in my view. I bought it to mod but ended up keeping it. Changed the pick ups to Wizard 84's and put an Audere pre amp in it. Purely because I don't like VVT but love Jazzes. The 5er I got I did muck about with but only because it was already mucked about with. Having said all that (I am going somewhere with this I promise). The pickups in the 5er where absolutely lovely. The nut is nice and narrow too which is the main reason I went for the VM. The neck does take a bit of getting used to from a 4 string but its not too much work. I found the neck to be a little too thin in depth. I think for the width a thicker neck may be in proportion. For me I would buy a VM 5er again if I could justify it. Excellent purchase Discreet.

Now go save up for a J-Retro. THAT will make you smile :D

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1400590774' post='2455186']
Now go save up for a J-Retro. THAT will make you smile :D
[/quote]

Already been looking at John East's website! But just fitting fresh Ernie Balls enabled a lot more growl and boing - the stock strings were pants.* [size=4]Having seen fretmeister's new Sandberg Hardcore TM5 I'm going to leave the Squier as is and furiously save up more pennies! Arrrrgghhle.[/size]

[size=4]*Mmmm, fresh Balls.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1400603394' post='2455374']
Oh good grief, you're turning into a ravaging GAS animal!! :)
[/quote]

I know mate! At one time I thought the GAS thing was a bit of a joke and a laugh but I now realise it's a serious and genuine illness. Basically it's Affluenza, isn't it? Also known as Consumerism - lusting for and buying stuff you don't actually need. :blink:

[quote name='fun size nick' timestamp='1400655621' post='2455760']
Great writeup. Terrible for my GAS! I've been eyeing a couple of Squier VMs, including a fiver, and it's awful to have another confirmation that they're worth every penny...
[/quote]

'Tis true, I'm afraid.:) If my VM is anything to go by, they are indeed very good value.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1400615042' post='2455549']
I'm still waiting for F*ck*ns*re*s to arrive for the tuners
[/quote]

Feckinstrees? Fickanscries? Fockunstrets? :D

Almost got a VM PV last year. In the end I got the VM PJ and it's my only gigging bass now.
I had planned to get a VM PV or Jazz V this year, but after reading the comment about the wide neck I'm not going to bother now.
Good review though. If I wasn't so fickle about neck widths and string spacing I'd be gassing for the above.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1400691291' post='2456176']
Almost got a VM PV last year. In the end I got the VM PJ and it's my only gigging bass now.
I had planned to get a VM PV or Jazz V this year, but after reading the comment about the wide neck I'm not going to bother now.
Good review though. If I wasn't so fickle about neck widths and string spacing I'd be gassing for the above.
[/quote]

But as 5 strings go its not a wide neck. The nut is 46mm compared to some that Ive seen at 50+mm. There are, of course, narrower ones but at this price?!!!!!

A

These do look lovely. In fact the visual vibe of these, especially the natural finish one, is the main reason I suddenly decided I wanted a J5 after many years of completely avoiding Fenders and Pretenders (because nearly everybody else plays them ;) ). They're very 70's in a really good way, the heyday of some fantastic bassists. Bought a posh Pretender (2nd hand) in the end, but it's a rosewood board with dots, so I've still got some GAS for maple and blocks!

I hope you continue to enjoy your first 5 as much as I'm now enjoying my first J.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1400694007' post='2456210']

But as 5 strings go its not a wide neck. The nut is 46mm compared to some that Ive seen at 50+mm. There are, of course, narrower ones but at this price?!!!!!

A
[/quote]

Ah, you're right. I took the comment as compared to other 5 string basses but it's almost the same as my old Laklands, and less than my old MIA P 5

Bugger..GAS resumed.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1400694684' post='2456223']
Ah, you're right. I took the comment as compared to other 5 string basses but it's almost the same as my old Laklands, and less than my old MIA P 5. Bugger..GAS resumed.
[/quote]

So much GAS about!! Remember it's my first fiver as well, so any five neck is going to seem wide to me! :)
Just give in and get one! At this price it would be rude not to!

[quote name='humapuma' timestamp='1400694523' post='2456221']
I hope you continue to enjoy your first 5 as much as I'm now enjoying my first J.
[/quote]

Thanks... it's pretty much my first J too (apart from about a week with a J&D 4-string) so I'm enjoying the J5 vibe a lot. :)

I had one of the old Squier special P 5 string (I think that was what it was called.). It had jazz pups IIR and the widest neck I have ever had the misfortune to play. It wasn't my first 5 string but it put me off them for a few years.
These VM's look much better and I wouldn't hesitate to gig with them. In fact I've only gigged Squiers for the past 3 or so years.
Ive been meaning to get a 5 string again, just really need to decide on a P or Jazz. Love the look of Jazz basses, but I'm more used to the P tone.

Maybe I should get one of each lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1400702912' post='2456322']
Ive been meaning to get a 5 string again, just really need to decide on a P or Jazz. Love the look of Jazz basses, but I'm more used to the P tone. Maybe I should get one of each lol.
[/quote]

One of each is always an option with Squiers! I've periodically tried Jazz basses and have always gone back to a P - over four decades! But now for some reason I'm really enjoying the growl and boing of a Jazz. So I'm glad I [s]was stubborn[/s] persevered. ;)

Edited by discreet

Yep, I have both Jazz and P in the Squier CV range, and for a while loved the jazz, but its not been used for about 3 years.
These days I use a VM PJ and it seems to give me the best of both.

Neck wise whatever bass im gigging has the CV Jazz neck on it. I really love that neck. Even though I have a lovely Lakland maple JO neck its the Squier one that gets used most.