Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RootMaster 420 My Thoughts

Bassman Sam

It's a shame when the room ruins the fun, you can have the best rig ever but in a marble-floored, dome-ceilinged room (I speak here from bitter experience, haha!) you're stuffed!

Hopefully the next time out will be more successful :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1399569954' post='2445496']
It's a shame when the room ruins the fun, you can have the best rig ever but in a marble-floored, dome-ceilinged room (I speak here from bitter experience, haha!) you're stuffed!

[/quote]
That's a relief to hear. It was a ridiculous room. I'll report back after I use it at next rehearsal.

Some of you may know that I am a very long time Ashdown user and endorser(16 years).
The reason I have been using Ashdown so long is that I actually like their amps and cabs and I feel that the amps are indeed some of the most versatile amps on the market today.
There has been a little buzz going around about Ashdowns new RootMaster amps from their long standing Mag series.There are two models the 220 and the 420, I own the RM420.
Overall this is like no other amp that Ashdown has offered in it's Mag series line before.
Now for those who are familiar with Ashdowns ABM series and having spent time playing through the ABM EVO 550 once you play through the RM420 will help you understand just what is going on with the RM420. Upon playing through the RM420 you will quickly recognize that it is indeed from the Ashdown zone. The lows are definitely Ashdown focused while the highs has a sheen that is not brittle or over bearing at all, the mids have a nice subtle growl that I really like. The RM420 is small and not bulky at all and it's built like a elegantly designed tank with out the unnecessary heft of weight that really wouldn't serve any purpose other than to give the false belief that the heavier the better. The knobs and buttons function doesn't seem to have a cheap feel to them at all and with the most subtle turn you can hear a difference in tone. The sub harmonic knob seems to sound superb on this amp and the tracking is not bad at all. The eq section have tonal options for days and the amp even sounds awesome with the eq button disengaged. There's a shape button function that makes the amp have a extra thump and warmth if that is what you desire.I really dig the RM420 and even though It says that it's 420 watts, from my experience using Ashdown amps with more watts the RM420 seems to sound louder and perform as if it has more than 420 watts. And I did play it side by side with an Ashdowm ABM 550.

The RM 420 is a class D amp that has a nice low end thickness(that can get warm) that sounds more like a class A amp and for me that is a great thing. I really feel that you can not run out of bass in this amp, it seems to just give you as much low end as you want with room left over.

This is the perfect amp if you're looking for

Versatility.

Awesome built quality that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

If you've ever been interested in checking out the Ashdown ABM series but didn't want to spend the money.

Easily recognizable quality from the first go over.

A killer compact amp that truly sounds much larger than the 420 watts that it's putting out.

If you've never liked the class D amps that you tried in the past because they lacked thick low end.

Edited by JAUQO III-X

Nice review, I`ve been looking at these for a while. Never bought into the "woolly Ashdown" thing - if Bruce Foxton and JJ Burnell use them - and have seen/heard them do so - they have enough top-end. In fact seeing Bruce Foxton using an Ashdown stack a couple of weeks ago has made me start looking at Ashdown, just waiting for a retailer near enough to me to see if for one I like the RootMaster tone, and secondly if the cabs will fit in my car!

• Like 1

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1400355304' post='2453206']
Nice review, I`ve been looking at these for a while. Never bought into the "woolly Ashdown" thing - if Bruce Foxton and JJ Burnell use them - and have seen/heard them do so - they have enough top-end. In fact seeing Bruce Foxton using an Ashdown stack a couple of weeks ago has made me start looking at Ashdown, just waiting for a retailer near enough to me to see if for one I like the RootMaster tone, and secondly if the cabs will fit in my car!
[/quote]

You're welcome.

I finally got around to trying one of these today. It was powering a TC Electronic 2 X BC210 stack(They did have the new Ashdown Mag cabs in too, but I thought I'd be as well using the BC cabs, as they have the same 8 ohm 250 watt power rating.)& I played an Ibanez SR300 through the stack. Here's my thoughts.:

Definitely lightweight AND Sturdily constructed. Good Compressor. VERY Nice Drive feature too!

My worry was the fact that the head only sounds loud and punchy when you engage the Output dial at 70-75%, the EQ, the Compressor AND The Drive section! This reminded me too much of my old dreaded Ashdown Little Giant 350, which needed the Bass, Mids, Gain AND Output boosting to sound half decent. I also think if you used the Sub dial & pushed the Gain up, you would lose a lot of clarity & definition!

So, it's a lovely looking amp with nice features-especially the Drive, put I don't think I could get the right sound out of it for me all the time. I was a bit disappointed, but it's just my opinion/taste. I think people should try it out if they fancy it.

Edited by indiegrungesound

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1400368791' post='2453324']My worry was the fact that the head only sounds loud and punchy when you engage the Output dial at 70-75%, the EQ, the Compressor AND The Drive section! This reminded me too much of my old dreaded Ashdown, which needed the Bass, Mids, Gain AND Output boosting to sound half decent. Ialso think if you used the Sub dial & pushed the Gain up, you would lose a lot of clarity & definition![/quote]
[color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue,Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Arial,Lucida Grande,sans-serif][size=4]
Every one has a different purpose for an amp but the sub effect on the RooMaster overall is a very clean sounding function. Kinds of reminds me of the Boss OC-2.[/size][/font][/color]

The sub function is nice and growly but as you increase the gain it still maintains a very nice clarity but if you want the sub effect to sound less clear or even muddy just decrease the mids and highs.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1400369554' post='2453330']

[color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue,Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Arial,Lucida Grande,sans-serif][size=4]Every one has a different purpose for an amp but the sub effect on the RooMaster overall is a very clean sounding function. Kinds of reminds me of the Boss OC-2.[/size][/font][/color]

The sub function is nice and growly but as you increase the gain it still maintains a very nice clarity but if you want the sub effect to sound less clear or even muddy just decrease the mids and highs.
[/quote]

Fair point, though I just made the comment because I was trying it out to see how it DID sound. It's not because I would use it often(I also used to have a MAG 300-115 combo, which WAS brilliant!). I also tweaked the EQ to boost the Low Mids and cut the High Mids and Treble.

Just personal taste. It works for you, so that's the main thing surely.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1400432953' post='2453796']
Fair point, though I just made the comment because I was trying it out to see how it DID sound. It's not because I would use it often(I also used to have a MAG 300-115 combo, which WAS brilliant!). I also tweaked the EQ to boost the Low Mids and cut the High Mids and Treble.

Just personal taste. It works for you, so that's the main thing surely.
[/quote]

If a player finds the amp that works for them then that is definetly the key.

I have really disliked every Ashdown I’ve ever played. I’ve tried really hard to like them, but no.
However, this one sounds pretty good – or as good as these in-ears will let it sound anyway :) I’ll be interested to try one.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1391105445' post='2353369']
if I was going to chose between the rootmaster or the new fender rumble on price, features I think the ashdown has it [/quote]
Personally, after what they’ve done to SWR and Genz, I will NEVER buy a new Fender product ever again.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1391299106' post='2355617']
Personally, I'll hold my money for the time being, and wait for the 420G.

(Get it? Ashdown? Car theme? Jaguar 420 and 420G?)
[/quote]

Edited by UglyDog

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an aside on the old 'Woolly Ashdown' thing: I had an ABM 500 rig, and it wasn't that it was short of top end (far from it), rather that every note came with extra low-end baggage that obscured any subtlety. I would be really interested to see how the Rootmasters fare in this respect, because the feature set seems bang on.

Just watching the demo the only concern I have is that the chap has the volume up pretty high & he is sat right next to it & it's mic'd up ( will it be loud enough )& does it have a head phone socket? I like the idea of the Drive & the Sub as my band do Peter Gabriels Sledge Hammer & some Stranglers covers , So hopefully will do away with the effect pedals I use .

I really like the look of this. I have had two LG 1000 and had no problems with either. I sold the first, being talked into an ABM500 but couldn't get on with it so sold the ABM and got another LG1000. Granted, it is woefully underpowered for what it is suggested it will do, but loud enough for me and a good sounding head which has been reliable for several years. I even use it as a poweramp for my guitar effects units. I could seriously be tempted to try out one of these though...

A mate of mine acquired 3 of these from a reputable dealer for a new studio he has just set up and ALL three had to be returned due to being faulty, within a couple of months. (The dealer has now agreed to refund substantially all of the price, acknowledging that the fault lay with the kit). He has since got in some replacement gear (e.g. a Peavey 450 tour head and 4x10 cab) which is working just fine and which the bands at his studio seem to prefer. Shame, 'cos the gear does look the part and is an ideal size for gigging, but I suspect he (and I) will think long and hard before getting another Ashdown... :(

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1400355304' post='2453206']
[/quote]

I've also seen Mark King using them & you can't call his sound woolly .

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1402717240' post='2476276']
Ashdown does offer rack ears for the RootMaster series.
[/quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
I can't see them on the web site & they don't seem to answer my emails ? I try my best to support British companies , that's why I have a couple of Shukers a Barefaced cab. But two Markbass heads & a TC. all of them had excellent customer support ....Even though I do tend to ask a few questions . [/font][/color][list]
[*][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=5&t=237111&qpid=2478564"]Qu[/url]
[/list]

That info was from Lee , they do offer a bag . It's a shame as I know quite a few people like myself that play in Pub /club bands that keep their heads in a flight case with a tuner Because we have all learnt the lesson of putting stuff in the back of the van. I might consider the lightweight ABM but that is considerably heavier than my Mark bass little Rocker .

Just had an email from Mark & they will be doing them in a couple of weeks time :) :)

Edited by Kevin Dean