Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RootMaster 420 My Thoughts

Bassman Sam

Anyone (and I'm looking at you, Ashdown, as they haven't hit the stores yet!) know how the Rootmaster 420 compares to the MiBass 2.0 in terms of tone?

I can see the difference in features between them. They appear to have an identical street price and will surely appeal to a similar audience? So how do they differ in tone? Has the MiBass 2.0 effectively been replaced by the Rootmaster?

If a 420 watt Rootmaster "blows away" a 600 watt MAG 600, what does that mean? Even if the Rootmaster has a superior tone, does a MAG 600 put out less than 420 watts RMS into 4ohms? It is hard to hear much difference between a 300 watt amp and a 600 watt amp .

Don't you know there's small watts and large ones? Sheesh I have to tell you guys everything....
But seriously, It is my experience that an old Trace AH250 with GP11 pre blows 500+ watts class D amps out the water... And I'm using an RAH600SMX as my main amp. *\o/*

So, stated amounts of watts do not say it all. There's more involved like damping factor and slew rate of an amp, things people never talk about or notice...
Like with cars people talking about horsepower while it is really all about torque.

I do believe Ashdown when they say the 420w rootmaster sounds larger then a 600w mag. They have the information we lack.

Really nice styling and clearly not by the same industrial designer who gave us the jolly green amps. It could be a serious contender.

Two criticisms. First, there is no excuse for a single Speakon on a 500w amp. It's penny pinching. Yes, I know Mark Bass and others are guilty too. Second. Nobody uses the sub bass harmonics generator. (We'll now hear from the two people on the forum who do).

Otherwise, I like it a lot.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1391691416' post='2360195']
Really nice styling and clearly not by the same industrial designer who gave us the jolly green amps. It could be a serious contender.

Two criticisms. First, there is no excuse for a single Speakon on a 500w amp. It's penny pinching. Yes, I know Mark Bass and others are guilty too. Second. Nobody uses the sub bass harmonics generator. (We'll now hear from the two people on the forum who do).

Otherwise, I like it a lot.
[/quote]

You'll find people "use" it as they see knobs and assume it must be turned.

Invalid.

Firstly one speakon connector is enough. I can't imagine anyone needing two.
I use both XLR speaker outputs on my main rig but my amp has a stereo powersection without bridging option so here it makes sense to do so, otherwise I would have 300 watts instead of 600.
On a mono rig you really only need one output. You can chain two 8ohm cabs it won't hurt and there is not any difference output wise,

Secondly, If you don't like the subharmonic, you don't HAVE to use it. It is okay to keep it off really.
Dialing it in just a little for dub works really nice btw,

Just my 2p.

One thing I do like about Ashdown is they are almost (well the heads/cabs/combos I've tried) indestructable.

They seem to be in many rehearsal rooms in the North East and take a lot of hammering and don't give up! Even if the users of the amps have knack'd all the knobs on the front.

I also like that they are easy to access for UK repairs.

If I had a need for an amp I'd like one of their full tube amps!

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1391761845' post='2360929']
Invalid.

Firstly one speakon connector is enough. I can't imagine anyone needing two.
I use both XLR speaker outputs on my main rig but my amp has a stereo powersection without bridging option so here it makes sense to do so, otherwise I would have 300 watts instead of 600.
On a mono rig you really only need one output. You can chain two 8ohm cabs it won't hurt and there is not any difference output wise,

Secondly, If you don't like the subharmonic, you don't HAVE to use it. It is okay to keep it off really.
Dialing it in just a little for dub works really nice btw,

Just my 2p.
[/quote]

indeed!!!

I love my ABM EVO3 UK, but I don't ever use:
- the preshape (in fact I push it into the flat setting)
- the compressor
- the subharmonic
- the line out
- the master louder than 11 o' clock

As for adding a second speaker out: very often there is not enough space to fit a second speaker output.

Even with my Mesa Walkabout, it wasn't possible to fit a speakon out due to space limitations. That's what I was told when i inquired with an official service center.

Edited by gillento

Ok I admit it. I use the subharmonic thing on Ashdowns (because its there :blush: ). yeah I know I don't need it, and probably wouldn't miss it - but a teeny bit - so only I know its there - does seem to slightly thicken the sound on the high notes without losing any definition, so what's not to like? I wouldn't use it as as a full-on effect tho.
For practical reasons I'd have preferred to see a mute switch rather than shape on the rootmaster - but otherwise I think it looks fantastic. Fab design. Decent size too - not too fiddly!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1398461029' post='2434482']
Well, I've gawn done it. Should be here Tuesday... Bit nervy as I'm going on the strength on the demo video alone but I can always return it if it's that bad. :rolleyes:

Review to follow!
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to your review. I might be in the market for amp shortly if the stars are in the right alignment and this is ticking a lot of boxes for me.

Well it's here...

And I am very impressed. Instant classic Ashdown tone (if that's not your thing, this really isn't the amp for you), very warm (not muddy) but with plenty of grit and bite if you want it. Excellent drive control, despite the absence of any valves, and very reminiscent of my old ABM 500 but without the size and weight.

I've been using a Mibass for a while and really haven't got on with it - the comprehensive EQ and tone shaping isn't something I need and I found myself constantly twiddling the knobs and sliders. With the Rootmaster, it sounds great straight away, before the EQ is even adjusted.

It's heavier than the other lightweight amps I've owned (GK, Markbass, Ashdown) but it is a bit larger. I'm not even sure if it is in the same category as those, but it's certainly much lighter than the ABM.

So far I've only played it indoors but so far I'm really chuffed. I think Ashdown are on to a winner here, and I'm very happy.
Live test on Saturday!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1398939351' post='2439154']
Well it's here...

And I am very impressed. Instant classic Ashdown tone (if that's not your thing, this really isn't the amp for you), very warm (not muddy) but with plenty of grit and bite if you want it. Excellent drive control, despite the absence of any valves, and very reminiscent of my old ABM 500 but without the size and weight.

I've been using a Mibass for a while and really haven't got on with it - the comprehensive EQ and tone shaping isn't something I need and I found myself constantly twiddling the knobs and sliders. With the Rootmaster, it sounds great straight away, before the EQ is even adjusted.

It's heavier than the other lightweight amps I've owned (GK, Markbass, Ashdown) but it is a bit larger. I'm not even sure if it is in the same category as those, but it's certainly much lighter than the ABM.

So far I've only played it indoors but so far I'm really chuffed. I think Ashdown are on to a winner here, and I'm very happy.
Live test on Saturday!
[/quote]

Nice one mate!
I nearly went for one of these but ended up going for the MiBass 2.0, don't make me regret it ;)
What cabs you planning on using with this?
I reckon a Rootmaster 420 and a Mi12 cab would make a really great gigging/rehearsal set up!

Edue

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1398939861' post='2439167']
Nice one mate!
I nearly went for one of these but ended up going for the MiBass 2.0, don't make me regret it ;)
What cabs you planning on using with this?
I reckon a Rootmaster 420 and a Mi12 cab would make a really great gigging/rehearsal set up!

Edue
[/quote]

I'm using two Gallien Krueger NEO 112s, stacked vertically. Excellent cabs that seem to work well with anything.
I did consider getting a couple of Mi12s but the horn being on all the time put me right off. Me and horns don't mix :D

I`m rather tempted by one of these, with the matching 212 cab (the 410 may a bit weighty). Can`t see it not having enough volume for me.

Ben, keep us posted on your experiences with this amp, I`m sure if it does the sound you go for it will do what I`d be after.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1398944230' post='2439229']
I`m rather tempted by one of these, with the matching 212 cab (the 410 may a bit weighty). Can`t see it not having enough volume for me.

Ben, keep us posted on your experiences with this amp, I`m sure if it does the sound you go for it will do what I`d be after.
[/quote]

Will do mate! Watch this space. Gig on Saturday, a wedding no less! Can it handle the Bee Gees? Report should follow on Sunday.

Well, not a lot to report sadly. The gig was in a large, ornate hall complete with chandelier and stone pillars. A complete echo chamber. I couldn't put the cabs against a wall, never mind a corner, so the onstage sound was just horrendous. Very unsatisfying bass sound, seemingly lacking a lot of low end, but I'm hoping it was the fault of the room as we were all suffering equally.
I got through the gig despite struggling to hear myself (we had set the volume levels for the best sound out front) and managed to have a good time. Apparently everything sounded great out front and we had everyone dancing throughtout. We went down a storm and got great feedback so job done I suppose!
Now seriously considering upgrading the band PA and switching to in ear monitors. :huh:

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar