Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RootMaster 420 My Thoughts

Bassman Sam

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1391067687' post='2352788']
Aesthetics are the best I have seen from Ashdown too. Credit where it's due. Wonder how much it'll cost?
[/quote]

Apparently the heads will list at £399 and £299, not sure about the cabs.
Should be shipping in March.
I'm very impressed too. Can't be sure if these are Class D or not, they are quite a bit heavier than the usual Class D lot you see.

Eude

To answer my own question, the 420 has a Class D power section, same one as the MiBass 2.0 I'd imagine, and the 220 has a more traditional solid state power section, that's why the 220 is more than twice the weight of the 420...

Eude

Great demo. I do love the Ashdown drive, and it sounds a lot like my old ABM. Nice top end too, and the whole thing sounds a lot less clinical than some of the recent Ashdown amps. I need a new rig - this looks very tempting!
Why do demo videos always take the mids out before slapping? Is this the done thing with slappers? I don't know.

Thanks for the comments chaps. The Rootmaster has been A LOT of work over the past 12 months. The EQ is based on the old MAG but has had a bit of a tweak to remove a little boominess and works very well now. The Drive, Compressor and Sub Octave are all totally new circuits and the Drive and Octave are footswitcable. Its loud too! when we A/B'd against the old MAG 600 the 420 Rootmaster blew it away. We are really happy and excited about this range and can't wait for you guys to plug in. Thanks again for all the support.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1391176478' post='2354157']
I wouldn't trust Ashdown with these portable head, the LG and Superfly were both disasters.
[/quote]

I would, the MiBass heads have been reliable pieces of kit from what I have heard, plus they do a 5 year warranty on all heads now, possibly the cabs too, not sure.
The LG and Superfly were a long long time ago, and if you skip through the pages on here there's plenty of other microheads that routinely fried out too.
The 220 isn't class D anyway, just the 420.

Eude

I wouldn't trust Ashdown with these portable head, the LG and Superfly were both disasters.
[/quote]

Well, I WAS disappointed by The Little Giant 350. However, My old Mag 300 C115 combo was brilliant! Therefore, because it's the MAG pre amp with more output, this looks VERY promising!

[/quote]

Ha disasters is a bit harsh... You have to remember the Superfly was best part of 10 years ago and a little too ahead of it's time in whereas the pre amp did everything we wanted the power sections simply weren't available then and were left wanting, saying that there are still lots of people gigging their superflys today and have
no problems. And again little giants we sold a huge amount and whilst a few didn't handle their jobs well the vast majority did and are still out there being used regularly. You often find people are more keen to point out when they have problems than reporting that all is well and something is doing its job as intended...

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1391193038' post='2354498']
Ha disasters is a bit harsh... You have to remember the Superfly was best part of 10 years ago and a little too ahead of it's time in whereas the pre amp did everything we wanted the power sections simply weren't available then and were left wanting, saying that there are still lots of people gigging their superflys today and have
no problems. And again little giants we sold a huge amount and whilst a few didn't handle their jobs well the vast majority did and are still out there being used regularly. You often find people are more keen to point out when they have problems than reporting that all is well and something is doing its job as intended...
[/quote]

That's a fair point.

I miss my perfect 10 mini rig, you should make them again :(

I'm being tempted away from the chrome evo I've been staring at for months...

This is a question I'm sure is a bit redundant...but...I'll ask it;

I know the general idea is power in a portable package, but will there be rack mount ears available for the heads as some people still have rack tuners etc?

But yeah - the demo is ace, nice and balanced.

Saw sneaky previews of this the other week and thought they looked the muts nuts.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1391193038' post='2354498']

[/quote]

I think I WAS one of the unlucky ones unfortunately. I put a deposit down for the Little Giant then waited 6 months for the amp to be shipped from China. Then, the head started to cut out as soon as the warranty expired! :@ :-( The amp repair man I took it to told me to get rid off it as soon as possible, saying that Ashdown's were unreliable.

However, I never had any problems with my MAG combo. That was, as I've previously stated, brilliant! And I doubt you would still be making them if they weren't!