Why become a member? ×

LMiii ohms query

flunkie

Hi All,

I'm using an LMiii head into a Hydrive 410 cab. The LMiii specs say, 'OUTPUT POWER - 300W RMS @ 8 ohm, 500W RMS @ 4 ohm' - does this mean I'm currently getting only 300 watts and if I added another Hydrive 410 cab I'd get 500 watts? Sorry to ask what is probably a daft question, but I'm new to this head and cab lark :-)

Thanks. M

That depends on what inputs and outputs you have, but the best way in theory is to use two separate Speakon to Speakon cables from your amp. Unfortunately the LMIII only has one Speakon output. The Hydrive (sensibly) has two Speakons available, doesn't it? If so, connect a Speakon to Speakon from your amp to your first cab and then connect your two cabs together using another Speakon to Speakon cable.

Brilliant thanks. What's your feeling on this vs. extending through the PA for more volume. I guess it's a question of tone? Also, do you know why it won't feel 40% louder? Sorry for all the questions. Really appreciate everyone's help. :)

I think Yorks is referring to the non-linear nature of sound pressure. In other words, doubling the size of your amp won't make the sound subjectively twice as loud. In theory you'll get a 6dB increase at lower frequencies by adding a second cab. To make a sound appear to be twice as loud you need an increase of 10dB. So they say.

Yep, you more than likely won`t notice the extra power in terms of volume, but you will notice it in terms of the size and depth of the sound, which will be a lot fuller. Unless you`re playing mahoosive stages/venues, I can`t see how a LMiii into two 410s wouldn`t be loud enough.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1400170167' post='2451432']
Yep, you more than likely won`t notice the extra power in terms of volume, but you will notice it in terms of the size and depth of the sound, which will be a lot fuller. Unless you`re playing mahoosive stages/venues, I can`t see how a LMiii into two 410s wouldn`t be loud enough.
[/quote]
I usually play my LMII into 2 10s & it's loud enough! :)
Though I never say no to having more drivers.

I use a LM2 into a 210 or 2x210 , when. Using the 2x210 it ain't much louder (or at least there would be no reason to dial it louder than one 210 would reach) but has seriously more punch. Not a very scientific explanation I know.