Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Music Man Stingray 20th Anniversary Fretless
£1500

[center][color=#0000FF][u][b][size=6]For Sale (sorry - no trades)[/size][/b][/u][/color][/center]

Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 20th Anniversary fretless four string bass.

Produced in 1996 in limited quantities as follows:
Total of 1246 Anniversary basses made.
713 maple boards
477 rosewood boards
21 lined fretless
35 unlined fretless

So, this is one of 21 fretless basses made of this anniversary model.

It's of ash body construction with a lovely flamed maple top, of which my photography will not do justice. The top has a tortoiseshell pickguard, which is glued onto the body rather than screwed on. Almost as lovely as the flamed top, is the birdseye neck which I just love. I would say it even beats the neck on my fretted version.

It has a 3 band active EQ. A snap/swivel type battery compartment at the rear and no control plate.

I am not the original owner of this bass, but it is in great condition for a nearly twenty year old bass.

The only issues I can see are that there is a light swirling on the pickguard, some small indentations on the rear (near the neck plate) and a couple of tiny marks on the headstock. The swirling it has sustained is the insignficant type that is almost unavoidable during normal play. The marks on the rear I would describe as "buckle rash", but the finish has not been breached; it is purely an indentation. This obviously does not effect the bass in any way other than cosmetically (see photo). The marks on the headstock are very small and actually look like they are part of the figuring of the birdseye maple.

The neck has signs of it being played, but wear is minimal.

Strung with a new set of light gauge flats.

The tuners and electronics all work as they should.

The serial number is stamped into the bridge.

It is fitted with Schaller strap locks.

The bass comes with an original fitted hardcase and papers. Personal collection and any inspection welcome. I am based in South Essex.

Obviously I would prefer to hand the bass over in person and am willing to travel within reason to do so. I am also prepared to ship it within the UK at the buyers expense.

Here are some photo's. I can take more if required.

Ultimately, it was a great experience, but I'm not a fretless junkie.

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

Absolutely stunning bass. I remember when these were in the shops and they looked amazing.

I'm pretty sure the fingerboards on the fretless versions basses were actually Pau Ferro ( a.k.a Bolivian Rosewood, Brazilian Ironwood or Morado ) , which is a fantastic - sounding wood for a fretless fingerboard. It's much harder than ordinary rosewood and sounds kind of like halfway between ebony and standard rosewood. Pau Ferro a looks beautiful too, with a nicely figured pinky-brown hue to it. They use it on a lot of very high-end basses, like the top-of-the-range neck-thru U.S.A Spectors and NYC Sadowsky's. Makes a fretless bass really sing.

GLWTS.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400086906' post='2450634']
I'm pretty sure the fingerboards on the fretless version were actually Pau Ferro (a.k.a Bolivian Rosewood, Brazilian Ironwood or Morado), which is a fantastic sounding wood for a fretless fingerboard.
[/quote]
Yes, that would be my understanding, although being the owner of a fretted 20th as well, I have to say the fingerboards look pretty similar. I tried to capture the lovely markings on the fingerboard. It showed up best on the image near the nut. I really do need to get a better camera!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...