Why become a member? ×

Compressor recommendations please

M@23

Hi,
I'm after an always on compression pedal, I've read all the reviews on Ovnilab, amd am leaning toward the MB Compressore, but would appreciate some tried and tested opinions. I really want it to be a clean as possible, no harmonic distortion and as quiet as possible too! Not asking for much, then...
I'd mostly use a low ratio as I don't want it to dip and swell and sound squishy, just want it to even things out and sound nice and clean. I have a LM3 and 2x12 and play 4 string Precisions.

Cheers!

I use my MXR M87 bass compressor in a very similar way to the way you are hoping to use compression. I want it there in the background, but not-noticeable (until you turn it off, that is, and realise that it is actually doing nice things). The MXR is very transparent, very clean, and very quiet at those levels of compression. It is also less than half the size and weight of a COmpressore (which is also a very fine compressor I have to add).
The MXR is capable of all sorts of different compression, including extreme effects, hard-limiting and very subtle too. My experience with it is that it definitely has a compressing effect before the LEDS start to light up (the more LED's lit indicating the level of compression being applied). So if you try it out, I would advise adjusting the "input" (which is basically the threshold) until you are only getting a few green LED's lit on your heaviest low notes. You don't want it to be going near or into the amber, or you will be over-compressing for my tastes. My advice is Release and Attack at noon. Ratio at 3:1. Input adjusted as above, and output adjusted to whatever output level you need to drive your other pedals and/or preamp.
There are some great pedal compressors out there these days. My experience is that none of the really good ones is particularly cheap though.

In my opinion, the latex MXR M87 Bass compressor is the best pedal compressor on the market but if you ever go for rack mount gear, the DBX 1066 is the best going. My main choice of bass is a Fender Precision Bass as well just so you know.

No point in me re-typing what Hamfist has said about the MXR above as he's hit the nail on the head about it.

I used quite a few compressors over my time over playing bass and those 2 definitely get my recommendation.

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1400068273' post='2450371']
I use my MXR M87 bass compressor in a very similar way to the way you are hoping to use compression. I want it there in the background, but not-noticeable (until you turn it off, that is, and realise that it is actually doing nice things). The MXR is very transparent, very clean, and very quiet at those levels of compression. It is also less than half the size and weight of a COmpressore (which is also a very fine compressor I have to add).
The MXR is capable of all sorts of different compression, including extreme effects, hard-limiting and very subtle too. My experience with it is that it definitely has a compressing effect before the LEDS start to light up (the more LED's lit indicating the level of compression being applied). So if you try it out, I would advise adjusting the "input" (which is basically the threshold) until you are only getting a few green LED's lit on your heaviest low notes. You don't want it to be going near or into the amber, or you will be over-compressing for my tastes. My advice is Release and Attack at noon. Ratio at 3:1. Input adjusted as above, and output adjusted to whatever output level you need to drive your other pedals and/or preamp.
There are some great pedal compressors out there these days. My experience is that none of the really good ones is particularly cheap though.
[/quote]

Cheers guys! Thanks for this hamfist. That sounds ace. I hadn't seen the MXR before but that sounds perfect actually. Going to read up about it now.

adding my bit, i can recommend the lowly zoom b1on. lurking beneath a cheapy package and strange software, there are some really good sounds. a whole range of comp/limiter simulations, with all parameters like threshold, ratio, release tweakable to taste. on top, there are synth and octave fx imho as good as individual fx. not much good as a stompbox but fine on top of the amp. all for £50

I've been very content with the Rothwell Love Squeeze on my board these last 18 months or so

I just leave it on all the time. In fact, I've just realised i could mount it under my board next to the power supply and free up some space :-)

I've been a MB Compressore user for about one year now, including five pub gigs. I play a Sandberg California VS (P bass) through a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.2 and two Baer ML112 cabs to cut through vocals, two guitars, sax, harmonica and piano.

The music is blues/upbeat rhythm & blues (Gary Moore, Nine Below Zero, etc.) and I just use the Compressore to take some mud out of fast lines and to tame the E string and hence avoid overpowering low frequency boom. Lots of tweakability, and very quiet, only minor downer is that it runs on an 18V PSU only (which is provided).

PS before anyone reading this thread gets a compressor they should read the Ovnilab site, contains the most detailed reviews I've seen for both the Markbass and MXR (and loads others!!!):

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/markbass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/markbass.shtml[/url]

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml[/url]

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1400248248' post='2452263']
I've been a MB Compressore user for about one year now, including five pub gigs. I play a Sandberg California VS (P bass) through a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.2 and two Baer ML112 cabs to cut through vocals, two guitars, sax, harmonica and piano.

The music is blues/upbeat rhythm & blues (Gary Moore, Nine Below Zero, etc.) and I just use the Compressore to take some mud out of fast lines and to tame the E string and hence avoid overpowering low frequency boom. Lots of tweakability, and very quiet, only minor downer is that it runs on an 18V PSU only (which is provided).

PS before anyone reading this thread gets a compressor they should read the Ovnilab site, contains the most detailed reviews I've seen for both the Markbass and MXR (and loads others!!!):

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/markbass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/markbass.shtml[/url]

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks everyone for your input. I hadn't planned on pulling the trigger yet, but by chance saw a Markbass Compressore with an online retailer for £139 this morning - so ordered it there and then. It's been returned as unwanted during the 14 day returns period, unmarked and as new with a years warranty. Too good to pass up!
Any recommendations on settings, Kev? Your main use for it seems very similar to mine.

Edited by M@23

For clean uncoloured tone I would go for the MXR.

Extremely controlable and the LED´s give you a great representation of how much compression is being applied.

The Markbass is an amazing compressor too, great buy.

Edited by Byo

The MXR was the one I was leading towards, I've got quite a few gigs scheduled for the next few weeks - so if the Markbass doesn't do it for me in practice I'll send it back and get an MXR. I'm sure I'll love the Compressore though.

So my Compressore arrived. First impressions are, it isn't as big as I was expecting! It's very solidly built but not too heavy. It's a bit of a pain that it uses a 12v power supply, but not the be all and end all as I always run my rig off my own RCD, then power surge extension lead anyway, so socket space isn't the issue.
Sound wise, it is vey clean and transparent. Practically no hiss too. I have a studio session tonight and a gig tomorrow so will see how it fares in both situations. For what I wanted, which was subtle, always on compression, I think the Compressore is ideal. I actually found myself using more extreme settings than I expected. I don't know if it is my light touch or my P bass having low output pickups. It works very well and I'm really pleased with it so far!

M@23, sorry forgot to upload my settings! Here they are:

The method I used to get there was watching the 'comp' light during a bassline which starts with a loud G on the E string, then a fiddly pull-off and hammer-on involving the D and A strings. Basically the hammer-on in particular was being overwhelmed, so I twiddled the threshold to make sure that the initial G was well compressed and the hammer-on not at all. Sounds much clearer now! Good luck with the gig - one other quirk is that the compressor light is VERY bright on a dark stage, so I sometimes put a bit of foam over it.

Cheers Kev. Thats gaood of you to post. I settled on a similar setting tonight, just a little longer release and a bit less gain.

Those Joe Meek pedals look the business. I have a rack one laying about somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested to hear where you guy's are putting your pedal compressors in your chain, I've got T-req squeezer sitting on my side as I could never settle with it in the chain plus I found it added a tone of noise and tended to cause feedback (although I'm tending to miss the feedback these days) but considering getting back out and playing around with

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1400065011' post='2450320']
Hi,
I'm after an always on compression pedal, I've read all the reviews on Ovnilab, amd am leaning toward the MB Compressore, but would appreciate some tried and tested opinions. I really want it to be a clean as possible, no harmonic distortion and as quiet as possible too! Not asking for much, then...
I'd mostly use a low ratio as I don't want it to dip and swell and sound squishy, just want it to even things out and sound nice and clean. I have a LM3 and 2x12 and play 4 string Precisions.

Cheers!
[/quote]

From your description, I think the BBE Opto Stomp would fit the bill well. It's VERY transparent, although if you want it to, it can fatten up the sound and be less transparent.
DISCLAIMER: I do have one for sale, but this is not why I said the above!

I personally like the EBS Multicomp best, and I have the BBE for sale because I ended up buying a second Multicomp (one for the big pedalboard, and one for the tiny one). The Multicomp is not as transparent, but I prefer how it does what it does when I switch between slap and fingerstyle. It's got three modes, a normal one, a "tube-sim" one which is the same but with extra "girth", I would say, and the dual band mode (which is what I use normally).
It does colour the sound *slightly*, but it's not a bad colour at all. This compressor does not do the "just fattening and even up" the sound as well as the BBE, but it still does it very well, and I prefer the way it works for changing slap/fingerstyle styles.

I also like about those pedals that they are extremely simple to use.

EDIT: I saw you already got the MarkBass! :lol:
I'm very curious about that one too, but too big and too many knobs :P Still, one day I will test one. How are you getting on with it?

Edited by mcnach