Why become a member? ×

Youtube bass covers: Why do it?

Fionn

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1400159996' post='2451307']It's this whole reliance on YouTube/FaceBook/Soundcloud etc. thing that has made me become increasingly disinterested in playing music. Musicians seem to spend more time fannying about with this stuff more than anything else these days & I just have no interest in it whatsoever. If being a musician now means that all this stuff is essential then I'd rather just stop playing.[/quote]

You're only reliant on it if you're interested in promoting your band, or your own music. And it involves no more fannying around than sending an email. Or posting a thread on Basschat ;)

If you're not looking for an audience, then it has no bearing on you whatsoever. That's the thing about online media - it's there if you [i]choose[/i] to use it. It's not obligatory.

For a lot of people, it beats the traditional option of having to find an agent, label, publicist, etc. All of which costs considerably more money (especially give that the vast bulk of social media is free to use, albeit time-consuming).

"Being a musician" remains unchanged - it's still about playing an instrument. Publicising your music - or wanting to make music your career is a different issue. And it still takes bucketloads of effort and a big dollop of luck, just as it always has, despite these newfangled ways of getting yourself heard.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1400159996' post='2451307']
It's this whole reliance on YouTube/FaceBook/Soundcloud etc. thing that has made me become increasingly disinterested in playing music.
[/quote]

I think it's still possible to get a following by getting out there and playing to people in the real world while having a minimal presence online. [size=4]I sympathise with you about the social media thing, it's not for me either (except BC) - but if you're not going to get involved online and you don't like playing gigs, I reckon you're stuffed. :)[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400169374' post='2451418']
....but if you're not going to get involved online and you don't like playing gigs, I reckon you're stuffed. :)[/size]
[/quote]

This is why the only things I tend to do these days are recording projects for other people - if they want to promote it it's up to them & I make it clear from the outset that If they want to do anything live then I won't be involved.

I can see me packing it in completely before too long, it's all become such a bloody chore.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1400172452' post='2451468']
This is why the only things I tend to do these days are recording projects for other people...
[/quote]

Ah ha... Well, I find recording and production a useful creative outlet too - I had entirely forgotten about that option - duh. :)

I have to say that in none of the bands I've been in was I required to provide online 'evidence' to get an audition but I can see how it would be useful for those hiring to whittle it down to the more promising players, hence my days are probably numbered! :huh: Of course a good youtube performance doesn't guarantee the person will really be able to do it in front of a proper audience (assuming that is what's required) or they won't be an utter knob in general. A good recommendation from someone the hiring party knows and trusts and who had worked with the potential player would still go furthest in my book but that's not always possible. The band I'm in currently with didn't (to my knowledge) ask anyone I'd played with before about me nor did they audition me, they took me on trust and I first played with them at a paying gig to a packed pub. I still find that utterly bizarre.

Each unto their own, peeps. It's harmless enough.

At best, it's another way of sharing with community. At worst, it's a platform for arseholes. But that's the internet for you...

I've posted half a dozen or so bass playing vids to YT, and have watched many others. It helps me pick up tricky basslines of songs that my band will often end up covering, and I'm happy to give back with songs or basslines that I like from players I admire. I've had some moderate praise for this, but never any negative feedback.

Granted, I don't dress up like a drag queen or anything else outrageous. But I suppose performance and entertainment are parts of the job description of being a musician; the medium that people choose is irrelevant, and I suppose YT is as good as any.

Groove on,

BB

I saw an interview with some hasbeen old pop stars doing that 'Big reunion' thing on ITV today and they actually struck a chord (excuse the pun!)...

They stated that they didn't enjoy music/performing/recording the first time around due to the pressures and intensity of the schedule. Like RhysP, they felt everything was a chore and a hassle.

They then stated that they are enjoying it so much second time around because they now appreciate what they had. They flippantly dismissed the experience the first time around and felt it was hassle and hard work. But after not having it, they released how lucky they were to be getting paid to do what they love (even if that meant working hard and dedicating lots of time to it).

If you love it, don't take it for granted and if you don't love it, move on to something you will love and make way for someone who wants in :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1400272295' post='2452599']
...they are enjoying it so much second time around because they now appreciate what they had. They flippantly dismissed the experience the first time around and felt it was hassle and hard work. But after not having it, they released how lucky they were to be getting paid to do what they love...
[/quote]

Great. :)

Edited by discreet

I uploaded some stuff online like this but I didn't mean to show off or anything. It is nice to get constructive feedback from others, I did it with study peace of music that I don't play with band and I heard it is god to record yourself and listen and look how you do as it sometimes helps. It is almost like doing recording in studio as you cant make mistake ...

That is my personal thought for it, and I have done it just once

• 1 year later...

Most people watch sports events because they enjoy the game... or they are a player... or once were... all hobbyists are like that... Bassists are just one more group of people with a passion for some human activity... and they want to connect with others of the same ilk and share their common interest... I don't watch piano covers... but I enjoy bass covers for the above reason...

Bass players are no different from anyone else... but like motorcyclists, skiers, truck drivers and circus clowns, we belong to a definable interest group... we ain't pianists and we ain't hoofers... but we enjoy pulling the big strings that lay down the bottom of every tune, make people want to move, make guitarists want to play, turn the drums into a band, decide the name of the chord, rumble the chairs, make bars rich, get hypnotized by the groove, get people together, and since the year 0 A.L.F. (After Leo Fender) give meaning to the word Rock...

I also focus on fingering technique and fingerboard patterns... because there are countless ways to play a bass line on the bass, it's of interest to see how other bass players tackle it... if you write the bass line in musical notation, there is one unique bass line... however, there are many paths on the fingerboard... Simandl or One Finger Per Fret...? one string or three strings...? 8th fret on the E string or 3rd fret on the A string...?

Since many bass lines in the past have been buried in the mix, it is ear-opening to hear the bass on top of the mix... somebody has taken the time to dig out every nuance of Penny Lane and push it out front... and pursue a certain tone for a personal sound...

Also, watching the bass line being played cuts down on the time the watcher will spend trying to lift the line from scratch...

And some bass players just catch your interest, like Sarah Jones or Constantine Isslamow... Sarah got me interested in melodic bass lines while Constantine covers the rockier bass lines... both have plotted out a course on the neck with which I can compare to my "fingerboard navigation" and appreciate the resulting delta... and there are many others to choose from...

I intend to make some bass covers when I get some time... to add my favourite tunes and genres to those of other Bassers... hopefully, to garner constructive criticisms on tone, fingering, patterns and articulation... or gain affirmation from other struggling pluckers... My only hesitation is whether to sit or stand... show the head shot or just focus on the neck... to talk before and after or to remain silent...

But its a strange bass player who walks into a pub or bar and doesn't have a look at the bass player, their gear, their bass face, their stage presence, their technique and tone... or at least introduce themselves... after all, we are all String Navigators...

There's no doubt there are a few ladies out there who could wear more when recording, I think all the ones I have watched have been at least as talented as male uploaders so I don't think it's fair to say that they are advertising in any way,
Some seem embarrassed like Marta but not many male uploaders give a confidently delivered five minute spiel either

Fair play to them, I say

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1399971695' post='2449387']
May be some of them are hoping to get spotted by people/bands looking for a bassist.
[/quote]

This is why I would do it. Not in the hope, but as a promo video to point people to. Maybe link to it via bandmix. If that's possible.

We have band clips for landlords to watch (a lot of them are requesting them now) so why not personal promos?

It does people good to get out of their comfort zone. If that's what Youtube uploads do for them it's fine by me. It's also a handy way of picking up how to play stuff. What's not to like. As with everything, there's an 'off' button if you don't like it.

I did my first two recently. The first one was to contribute something to an owners' group and practice a song I had to learn for a wedding (the potential ridicule of unkind souls concentrates the mind wonderfully) and the second one was to demonstrate the sound of a customised guitar to a far flung friend.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1399998223' post='2449760']

There are various reasons why I enjoy playing to an audience, whether it be live or on a YouTube video. I do admit there's an element of w***ery and egotism in there though :D

I don't get why people want to seek praise from strangers either. But I do like it :lol:
[/quote]

Strangers come up to me after gigs to talk to me. I love it.

Blue

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1400137580' post='2451020']

This. Usually even if they are wrong or badly played you can get a handle on something just by watching the playing position. Increasingly my ears are not so good so any help I can get is great.
[/quote]

I can usually find at least one one cover where the guy nails it with great footage of the neck and finger positions.

It makes it easier than me learning a cover on my own. A real time saver.

Blue

Personally, I treat Youtube as the "go-to" when learning a new cover. It's taken over from trying to find a tab of the tune (though Songsterr also gets regular visits).

You can find versions of most songs you're likely to cover (excepting Pallas's Arrive Alive. :)), and it can make things a lot quicker and easier. Especially for that one little run that you just can't twig. The one that turns out to be ridiculously easy.

So I'm all for folks putting bass covers up there ... good, bad or whatever. You can take something from most of them, even if it's just noticing that it would be easier to play something in a different position to what the guy in the video is attempting!

I think that only a small percentage of people do it for ego-based reasons, and amn't really sure why it bothers anyone!