Why become a member? ×

Milk Crate Alternatives

Perry

Raising your cab off the ground is never a great idea because you lose the extra low-end efficiency you get from coupling with the floor. If your problem is hearing yourself, tilting the cab up slightly so that the sound is directed to your ears is a better option IMO.

Good quality keyboard stand is perfect.
I've had my Ampeg 4x10 and amp sat happily on one for many gigs.
The tilt back amp stands are useful too.
As stated above you may lose some ultra low end because of loss of the coupling effect with the floor, I happen to think that's no bad thing in most venues and helps clear some mud.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400056183' post='2450183']
Raising your cab off the ground is never a great idea because you lose the extra low-end efficiency you get from coupling with the floor. If your problem is hearing yourself, tilting the cab up slightly so that the sound is directed to your ears is a better option IMO.
[/quote]

Yep...agree, not something I ever want to do,
Positioning of the cab is the one thing and you don't have to get too close to other
big sound sources. For example, I don't want the keys stack near me...
... and then I learn to play with a sound that
doesn't need so much bass. The bass never lacks bottom but some ppl just
don't give themselves much chance by running or wanting too much bass
and then having situations where they have to get rid of it.
If your sound has clarity and the band are sensible with their EQ, hearing
yourself should n't be an issue either

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400056183' post='2450183']
[/quote]

I lift my cab off the floor to prevent this coupling from happening. I have subs up front on the PA, i don't need any more sub-bass up on stage to muddy things up and mess with the drum mics. I also prefer to hear my sound tight and defined, any trouser flapping bass is EQ'ed at taste.

Different views on the same subject ;)

I use one of these when I need to hear better on a small stage - great for the money: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stand-Stagg-GAS-3-2-Monitor-Amplifier-Amp-Speaker-Floor-Stand-Folding-00693-/191154473577?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item2c81b1ca69

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1400155408' post='2451245']
I lift my cab off the floor to prevent this coupling from happening. I have subs up front on the PA, i don't need any more sub-bass up on stage to muddy things up and mess with the drum mics. I also prefer to hear my sound tight and defined, any trouser flapping bass is EQ'ed at taste.

Different views on the same subject ;)
[/quote]

Can't your eq deal with the excess bass? Having a cab on the floor shouldn't produce excess sub bass or stop you getting a tight and defined sound. Virtually all bass cabs have been designed to be used on the floor.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400162035' post='2451336']
Well if it works, fair enough. I suspect that judicious use of the bass control could have the same result, but DB and hollow wooden stages complicate matters. :)
[/quote]

I've often wondered if a tiny version of the Gramma pad for the spike to sit on would help with that.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400160732' post='2451316']
Can't your eq deal with the excess bass? Having a cab on the floor shouldn't produce excess sub bass or stop you getting a tight and defined sound. Virtually all bass cabs have been designed to be used on the floor.
[/quote]

Unless you have a full parametric EQ on your amp you can't dial back the lower freqs that come with floor reinforcement, most amps only offer parametric on the mids. Luckily i can get away with it when i use the Thunderfunk but not with the F1X. Anyway raising the cab alwways helps me hear the bass sound better.

Milk crate alternative:
From eight bits of the stuff from the picture below, weld a little fourlegged frame "table" that will fit nicely over your cab during transport, and will protect its corners. Glue foam rubber on its top so the cab will not slide off during the gig, and/or make sure the cab's feet will fit within the frame.
Can't describe it better with my English.

Edit: have one of the legs somewhat shorter and weld a length adjustment screw thingie on it.

I'm not too fond of the coupling either. Then again, I'm not preoccupied with the lowest frequencies more than once in a while, and find that most bands I've heard have too little clarity and too much boominess.

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/vinkeljern_zps257bba42.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by BassTractor

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1401141036' post='2460590']
[url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=61"]http://www.markbass....etail.php?id=61[/url]

It folds flat for carrying.
[/quote]

Only works if you have enough distance from the cab to you in order to get enough angle to reach your ears. In most situations (pub gigs) we are playing with our backs agaist the cab. A table/chair/stand will be needed.

I have a couple of these:

I use one like shown in the pic to raise my S12T so i can get the top driver/tweeter to ear level:

the other one i use with one arm taller than the other so i can get my Promethean at an angle: