Why become a member? ×

Tool for tightening switchcraft 152B jack

rhythmbug

Got a loose jack and need to tighten the nut but can't seem to fit a spanner in the cavity, there's not enough room (it's a Warwick Corvette). Tried a set of needle nose pliers but to no avail.

Is a deep socket drive + ratchet the only other option, if so what size do I need?

Cheers

I'd be inclined to try tightening it from the front of the bass.

If you can jam a couple of screwdrivers from the back of the socket - placed opposite each other to prevent the nut from turning - then you might then be able to turn the circular front face of the jack socket using a pair of pliers. I would put plenty of masking tape around the socket front to protect the body finish just in case something slips.

If the socket is likely to turn much then it might also help to desolder the wires on the socket first (making a careful note of where to put them back first).

I had the same sort of problem,just recently fitted this type of jack, albeit a Bass Collection bass,i adapted a thin cranked bike spanner,..had to grind one side so it cleared the cavity side to be able to get enough turn on the nut.
The spanner size is 9mm
hope this may help Ady