Why become a member? ×

Electronic Drum Kits - any advice?

redbandit599

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1400687928' post='2456127']...I think we are getting there, and probably without the e-kit route coming in to play. :)[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Great practice tonight, we all really like the rod things, my mate turned up with a variety of types and not only are they just that bit quieter we all really liked the quality of the sound. Just took a little of the initial crack out of the drums but left us with a nice fat drum tone.

The overall levels just dropped a smidgeon and the mix was so much cleaner as a result. Good stuff.

My drummer uses an e-kit and it works really well. He sends a mix to a small desk next to him that then sends out to the main desk and then he has a return into his in-ear monitors.

This allows him to re-mix his own sound on the fly whilst being able to have a full band band mix through the in-ears. At least I think that's what he does!

He also has a powered floor monitor that points directly at me - I get to be in charge of the overall volume on this and the simple bass/mid/treble controls. It allos me to set a decent monitor volume so I'm getting some live 'feedback' from his playing. There's a second monitor fairly close to me that has a full band mix going through it as well.

He uses 'real' cymbals which sound nicer to my ears than the processed sounds out of his kit.

In terms of an foh sound his kit sounds really good but I do miss the crack of a live snare firing straight at me (although I'm sure my long term hearing much prefers the controlled volume from the floor monitor).

People regularly compliment our overall live sound and especially the fact that the drums sit really nicely in the mix.

As a 'performing musician' I miss all the clatter, noise and vibrancy of a live kit but as someone who plays in a band that venue owners pay to produce a quality live sound the e-kit is definitely a winner!

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1399931478' post='2449199']
I love E kits. When drummy gets the urge to para diddle all over the rehearsals I can just turn him off.
They do look sh*t though.
[/quote]
The drummer in our band has one, other than a few extra wires you cant tell, I think most people think of practice kits and the pad type dont they?

• 5 months later...

I've ordered a set of each, and beaters (and spare tips; I don't know how they last, of course...); I'll advise as to usefulness. I often use brushes (for their effect, not for volume reduction...) and didn't like rods much, so these will be interesting to hear. I'm not a 'thrash' drummer anyway, and can quite readily control volume from ordinary sticks, but it can be very useful to 'let rip' a bit for certain music, but reduce volume (notably for recording...). Yes, they're more expensive than sticks (which are, however, £20 a pair...), but with a bit of luck they'll outlive me. :blush:
To be continued..?

our drummer wanted to go to electronic kit, my view was,( and everyone else in the band) we are in an 11 piece modern blues band, and to have an electronic kit on stage would look right out of place, and also the acoustic volume on stage would be non existent and me as a bass player and indeed the rest of the band needs to bounce of the vibe an acoustic kit gives, which then brings up the question of him also bringing an on stage monitor so he can hear it, but the rest of us ?? so ok the brass have monitors so you can add some kit from the desk to them, then the singer has a monitor so again you can add some kit from the desk to him, our percussionist has one also, already the whole thing is starting to get messy and the time to set up and sound check is already 2 hours+, and he was always last to the gig.......... the added time setting up and sound on stage issues for me my biggest prob was it just looks s£!t on stage, you cant be a kick ass funky blues band with an electronic kit no matter how good it is. if i went to see a rock band and saw a electronic kit on stage i would walk because i want to see a drummer getting off on what he does its all part of the visuals of a good rock band.
I have a Roland TD12kv+ in the studio and its great to get tracks down and sounds the mutz nutz, i would be lost with out it, but on stage, no.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1428229220' post='2739262']
our drummer wanted to go to electronic kit...
[/quote]

This way of thinking was prevalent in the early days of electric bass playing, where the double bass had reigned king for decades. It seems to have died down somewhat since, though. :mellow: