Why become a member? ×

Bass - the easy option?

geoham

I think bass has an easier learning curve than guitar to begin with... you can pick up a bass and play a simple line more easily than stretching for chords on a guitar.

[i]BUT![/i] The easier learning curve levels out in due course and there comes a point at which bass and guitar are equally technical and challenging.

Disclaimer: I say this as someone who is mediocre on bass and a total beginner on guitar... so I may be taking poop.

As an aside, something my guitar playing friends always struggle with when having a go on bass is muting. They always struggle to play 'cleanly' on bass without creating a din of string noise. So I think there are lots of subtle technicalities to bass playing that look easy in practice, but are more devious to master.

Oh and metal isn't rubbish. I say that as both a dad and a once teenage metaller :)

As said bass is easier to get started on but once you start trying things like upright slap bass you realise it isn't a walk in the park. I have long stopped getting offended by the "easy guitar" comments. And let's face it, sometimes it is great fun to play a really simple line that is totally effective.

Some bass is easier. Some isn't.

Learning a few Beatles songs on guitar - not so difficult. Depending on which ones! Some are two chords...whereas the bass is jumping around.

The other thing that bass doesn't have as often as guitar is tube driven/overdrive tones. Yes, a lot of bassists use it, but a guitarist can cover up a LOT by using distortion or even just cranking for a hair of gain.

Really high gain stuff in drop D is incredibly easy to play.

Metal? Difficult? Yes, some of it definitely is difficult on bass. Some of it isn't.

Emo? Emo is technically a genre born from the undergound hardcore/punk scene, when the ex members of the 80s hardcore bands wanted to do something new. It was labelled as 'emotional hardcore' because it was basically noisy/more punk version of what we call indie.

Check out bands like Texas Is the Reason, Cap N Jazz, Appleseed Cast, Cross My Heart, etc.

Modern 'emo' is just a term for poor over produced bad rock with kids with black side partings/whinging teenagers. As usual, the music scene ruined a fantastic genre by watering it down to awful second rate pop rock.

Good 'emo' is often very loud, very melodic, often with odd time signatures, clean to loud parts, odd rhythms, etc.

I play in a covers band where 99.9% of the time I'm playing root notes so compared to the guitarists in the band I have the much easier option. It takes me 5 mintues to find out what notes are being played from somewhere like Ultimate Guitar tabs and all I need to do then is just learn the structure of a song and I'm done.

Guitar is a far more technical instrument with the range of chord shapes and finger picking techinques. Its also far less forgiving if you fluff up a part of a song as it is the leading instrument. The audience always notice if a guitarist messes up as thats what they are actively listening to.

I play both and personally I think Bass is the easier option of the two.

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1399885417' post='2448513']
Oh I forgot, it's a dad thing. Metal is terrible;)
What bands are emo? I'm out of touch myself . ;)
[/quote]

One that springs to mind is Black Veil Brides. I may be a mile off with genres....

A little OT, but I find the idea that how difficult an instrument (or a piece of music) is to play being an inidcator of it's quality a little bizarre...

I'd be more impressed by a guy that can write a good tune with the only three chords he knows how to play, than someone who can copy note for note complicated solos someone else has written...

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1399893389' post='2448645']
And let's face it, sometimes it is great fun to play a really simple line that is totally effective.
[/quote]

I agree, but it still has to be played properly - in time, appropriately muted, etc. etc.
...And while twirling your nipple tassles, preferably. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399845323' post='2448354']
Learning the material is obviously important, but the ability to play bass in time is often overlooked for some reason. Timing is the responsibility of all band members - but as you pointed out, if the bass (and/or drums) go tits-up, it can be train-smash time. :)
[/quote]

Yes... often surprised/bemused when a guy likes to go all over the place with his fills, and yet struggles to hold straight 8's .
I find plectrum players can do that all day every day and sound great and right in the pocket, yet finger style players
can really really struggle. It is odd but it happens a lot.. on Dakota.. :lol:

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1399894881' post='2448666']
One that springs to mind is Black Veil Brides. I may be a mile off with genres....
[/quote]

Ah... now I feel for you...

More interested in image than music IMO...

The guitarist are very technical and often play harmonics with each other - which might be why he's having trouble learning any of their songs.

The bass lines are extremely dull and is just root notes, and the singer make me question my sexuality as I'm not sure whether he/she's a girl with a deep voice or a man dressed like a girl.

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1399897323' post='2448704']
Ah... now I feel for you...

More interested in image than music IMO...

The guitarist are very technical and often play harmonics with each other - which might be why he's having trouble learning any of their songs.

The bass lines are extremely dull and is just root notes, and the singer make me question my sexuality as I'm not sure whether he/she's a girl with a deep voice or a man dressed like a girl.
[/quote]

Awful band. This is why metal/hard rock gets such a bad name.

As a few people have said to me, its almost like there isn't a big surge of bands at the moment, like we are waiting on a dip for the next big thing/ground breaking band. Nothing seems to be very exciting.

Bass is an instrument that is easy to learn but incredibly difficult to master.

Some instruments are just fundamentally easier to get started with than others (ever tried to get a note out of an Oboe or Bassoon? :blink: ). Doesn't mean that they're lesser instruments. Just that the learning curve is different.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1399849011' post='2448396']
Metal is rubbish.....again :-( seems a fairly common thread throughout the forum.....oh dear
[/quote]

I don't understand metal and didn't grow up with it so whilst I certainly don't hate metal, it would be more truthful to just say I don't understand or enjoy it. I still like a lot of heavy electronica which would probably rival certain types of metal in some ways!

Back to the OP, I picked up guitar a bit first and then shifted to bass not because I thought it would be easier but because I honestly thought it was cooler. Everyone wanted to be a guitarist when I was 12 so for me it was way cooler to be different and play the bass. Turned out it's easier to get gigs nowadays too! So maybe approach it from that angle.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1399894973' post='2448668']
I'd be more impressed by a guy that can write a good tune with the only three chords he knows how to play, than someone who can copy note for note complicated solos someone else has written...[/quote]

Better known as the "Clown-whore" debate... :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1399902185' post='2448762']
Bass is an instrument that is easy to learn but incredibly difficult to master.[/quote]

True - but I suspect that everyone's version of "mastery" differs. I like to think that I can play reasonably well (within certain genres)... but when I hear a guy like this I feel rather despondent...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nls1HtXQe8E"]http://www.youtube....h?v=nls1HtXQe8E[/url]

Edited by Conan

Doesn't it depend on what and how you play? If all you're playing is root notes then maybe but ask somebody to imitate Jaco and they'll soon change their opinion on bass being easier to play.

A friend of mine has played guitar for years and still only knows about three chords - the major and minor power chords - he manages to blag it successfully. Another friend of mine was playing guitar in a band within 6 weeks after he learned the two Bar chords (E and A string). Lots of guitarists think they can play bass, and may even get away with it for a few minutes, but in reality they struggle with keeping good time and being solid.

Anyway most of them aren't cool enough to be bass players..

How about trading off with the kid? 30mins guitar lesson a week can't bring that much homework, if he does the work you could offer to teach his favourite songs on bass.

You could learn a thing or two yourself ;)

Edited by Bolo

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1399904546' post='2448798']
True - but I suspect that everyone's version of "mastery" differs. I like to think that I can play reasonably well (within certain genres)... but when I hear a guy like this I feel rather despondent... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nls1HtXQe8E"]http://www.youtube....h?v=nls1HtXQe8E[/url]
[/quote]

Yes - everyone's version of 'mastery' differs. I don't get despondent at all listening to that, as it does nothing for me whatsoever.
But then I don't like Snarky Puppy either, so what do I know? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399906247' post='2448824']
Yes - everyone's version of 'mastery' differs. I don't get despondent at all listening to that, as it does nothing for me whatsoever.
[/quote]

Oh, don't get me wrong - I don't like the music, but I am rather in awe of his obvious mastery of the intrument. I feel the same way about Bobby Vega, and much prefer his musicality. B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1399906426' post='2448827']

Oh, don't get me wrong - I don't like the music, but I am rather in awe of his obvious mastery of the intrument. I feel the same way about Bobby Vega, and much prefer his musicality. B)
[/quote]

Ahh. I think the former is a result of lots of practice and the latter has more soul. Whatever that means... ;)

Listening to a rock guitar line and being able to pin it down as 'bending on Fm7 drenched in space echo' is a difficult skill. Same goes with folk where a proper picked version can be impossible until you crack what alternate tuning was used. Guitar chords are rich and complex to the ear as there is rarely just a 1st-3rd-5th note combination, there are usually 3 more strings in play and how chords are voiced/modulated/muted/bent/sustained can make all the difference

Having said that a lot of very proficient guitarists are tab junkies and hardly ever work a tune out for themselves. With bass there is much less tab so you have to get good at listening and finding that true root note for yourself*. Also even when I find tab a lot of the note choices seem bizarre to me (why fly up the neck to play one octaved note?).

I think one of my first steps into bass was learning tracks from 'Beach Boys Party', one of the finest fake live covers albums ever produced. I could hear straight-up acoustic chords playing steady but there was movement in the music, something beyond that made it more alive than my strummed version. It was, of course, the bass**

So the really question is not 'What's easiest?' but; 'Where do you want to be in the music?'.

Do you want to be flying high in the clouds with the piano or the trumpet or the lead guitarist? Or do you want to be down in the earth pushing away incessantly 'move your feet, move your feet, feel the beat'?

*Not always the same note as the guitar chords online, even if they are accurate.

**Yeah, when the Beach Boys spontaneously throw a party Chuck Britz or Carol Kaye always happens to drop in with Fender bass and Ampeg in hand :lol:

Edited by cytania