Why become a member? ×

NBD: MIJ Fender Jazz 75, 70s spacing... but what about those EMGs?

mcnach

Hello, my name is mcnach and I am a bassholic.
I've been without a bass purchase for all of 6 days.

But this time it's a little more special.

When it comes to looks, I am a big fan of natural bodies (ash, in particular), and maple fingerboards.
When it comes to Jazz basses, I quite like them pickguard-less.

A couple of years ago I bought a CIJ Fender Jazz 75RI in this forum. It has white binding and white pearloid blocks as markers, which I vastly prefer over black... and I wish there were no binding at all, but there you go. It was a very nice bass. It had Nordstrands on and it sounded immense. The grain was not as pretty as in other examples I have seen, so I actually prefer this one with a pickguard on, but it was a great bass. Then the neck pickup died. I got a replacement, and I have a J-Retro for it, mounted on a black plate... but I have not even installed it yet. Busy life, laziness, and having other Jazz basses in working condition just meant I've been putting it off.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a more recent (2009, by the looks of the paperwork) 75RI style bass, MIJ... This one with black binding and blocks (pity), but I don't let that affect me too much... the bass looked beautiful in every way, and it had the 70s pickup spacing that I remember liking quite a bit when I tried one before. The other bass, CIJ, had a standard 60s spacing. And it was reasonably local.

So I thought about it, slept on it, thought about it some more, contacted the seller... and last Monday, bank holiday, I went to meet him and the bass at his band's rehearsal place.

He also had a Barefaced BB2 cab, so I brought mine along and we tried both together. Here's the beast with the seller ('Me And My Bass'). Or should it be the other way around? :P

and this is yours truly with a pose that I don't really know where it came from...

And below are a few more pics of the bass, compared to the older one:

The bass was initially strung with flats (Black Diamond, I believe?) and they were nice, but I like the zing of rounds, so I put some Ernie Ball ones, Nickel 45-65-80-100.

The bass is just lovely to play, but I'm not sure about the EMGs. I want to wait until the strings have a bit more "funk" in them before deciding what to do. It sounds very "clean" and clear. Almost too much, and I know it's not all down to the new strings. It's hard to explain... However, they do sound good live. The bridge pickup alone sounds huge, I just roll down the tone a tiny bit, and it's a lovely fat funk tone. The neck pickup sounds really good too, and very even across strings. With Jazz neck pickups I often find them a bit wild, but this one is very "civilised". However, it lacks the Jazz character and I am missing that. Hmmm... not sure, we will see. I also enjoy how quiet they are... Hmmm. I played my first gig with the bass on Friday and it's a venue where I usually get a bit of hum, but none at all this time.

I'll give it a couple of weeks for the strings to lose the extra zing and then maybe start experimenting with other pickups. I have a few sets of Jazz pickups in my drawer, US Fender, DiMarzio Model J, the Nordstrands from the other Fender Jazz... I like a traditional look on these basses, so probably the Fender or Nordstrands will be the ones. The Nordstrands are humbuckers too. They did not exactly sound like a traditional Jazz, but they kept a lot of the vibe while sounding bigger and fatter in a way I really like.

Ah, what a crap review this is... :lol:
Yeah, I still don't know what this bass is really like! :P
It plays really nice, and looks great, so I think it's just a matter of getting the right pickups in.

The 70s vs 60s spacing... well, it is hard to say. I remember noticing a difference that I really liked, years ago. Now, not sure. But the EMG is such a different pickup, that I am not sure I can compare them to the other Jazz basses I own. With both pickups on, the characteristic nasal tone is there, but not the way I remember it (with standard single coil passive pickups)... I also remember finding the bridge pickup soloed a bit thin for my taste, which this one isn't... but that's probably down to the EMGs. The Nordstrands (NJ4SE) are pretty hefty sounding, while sounding "Jazzy", so they may be a good choice. Or maybe even the Model Js, if I find chrome colour polepieces, that's very "70s"... Also, I intended to keep this bass passive... but I have a J-Retro with "Jazz-looking" knobs on a lovely Korean Squier, and I may just cannibalise it.
Ah, so many choices!!!
Not going to be a boring summer, this one ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1399805369' post='2447772']
Not going to be a boring summer, this one ;)
[/quote]

No it certainly isn't! I too have been infected with the Jazz madness after years of not getting on with them.
Is it something in the air, d'you think? Pollution, maybe..? :D

Edit: Very nice bass, by the way!!

Edited by discreet

Nice bass.

Personally (what else?!) I like EMGs on a Jazz. Actually, I like EMGs on most anything -they're excellent pickiups - articulate, clear, full range and noise free. I once had one of the early AVRI Jazzes from the Fullerton era and I only managed two gigs with it before the electronics were replaced by an EMG setup. It was the noise and buzzing which got to me. I suspect that if you're used to it, it's less of an issue but it still bugs me.

So I vote for keeping the EMGs.

That means you could sell me your DiMarzios for my Aria rescue project here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234069-1977-aria-rescue/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234069-1977-aria-rescue/[/url] :)

Enjoy the new bass!

Cheers

Ed

Very nice mate. I've opted for ash body and maple board on my ACG J Type.

Chuck the dimarzio model Js in, best jazz pickups around they are, if a cheap enough jazz cane up with a set already in and snap it up right now.

I always notice a difference in the spacing too, I prefer the 60s spacing myself, and again went for a similar spacing on my build.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1399980460' post='2449512']
Nice bass.

Personally (what else?!) I like EMGs on a Jazz. Actually, I like EMGs on most anything -they're excellent pickiups - articulate, clear, full range and noise free. I once had one of the early AVRI Jazzes from the Fullerton era and I only managed two gigs with it before the electronics were replaced by an EMG setup. It was the noise and buzzing which got to me. I suspect that if you're used to it, it's less of an issue but it still bugs me.

So I vote for keeping the EMGs.

That means you could sell me your DiMarzios for my Aria rescue project here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234069-1977-aria-rescue/"]http://basschat.co.u...77-aria-rescue/[/url] :)

Enjoy the new bass!

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

Well, the EMGs may be growing on me! I had a rehearsal tonight and it was pretty loose, lots of time to mess about, and mess about I did. As the initial zing of the strings starts to fade, the resulting sound is much more to my liking. Not as Jazzy, but... it's a good sound. And I love how silent they are... Hmmm. Will I convert in the end?

If you decide you don't like the EMGs after all, I'll buy them from you!

My old Geddy Lee had EMGs in it and I loved its tone. My new(er) one has the original Fender US vintages in and I'm not so keen on the sound...

Fickle buggers ain't we? :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400053838' post='2450157']

My old Geddy Lee had EMGs in it and I loved its tone. My new(er) one has the original Fender US vintages in and I'm not so keen on the sound...

[/quote]

I think there's an EMG J set in the for sale section just now.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1400020163' post='2450049']

Well, the EMGs may be growing on me! I had a rehearsal tonight and it was pretty loose, lots of time to mess about, and mess about I did. As the initial zing of the strings starts to fade, the resulting sound is much more to my liking. Not as Jazzy, but... it's a good sound. And I love how silent they are... Hmmm. Will I convert in the end?
[/quote]

Yep- that's you now- slippery slope!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400053838' post='2450157']

[/quote]

I'll keep that in mind. But yesterday was a revelation. Once I got over the "hmm, it does not sound like a typical Jazz" and let myself enjoy the "this sounds pretty good regardless", I started to really like it. Like I said, I need to wait until the strings are "tamed", I hate the initial extra brightness, once they settle, we will see.
It's not like I don't have other Jazz basses for a "traditional" sound ;)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1400059940' post='2450241']
:gas:

If we manage to arrange going for a beer sometime I should bring my wife, you make me look great :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

It's my mediterranean good looks. You sure you want to do that? ;) :P

Are you a little bit tempted to swap the necks over ?

I got bitten by the jazz bug after thinking I needed a P bass and selling a delicious DJ4 Lakland. I put the Model J's into the next jazz I got and loved the sound. I'm currently on a P/J with Fralin's for the 'best of both' but wouldn't mind another Jazz for balance :) All natural with maple and white blocks would have to be the one - a Lakland ACDJ4 would be the ticket :)

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1400061087' post='2450258']
wouldn't mind another Jazz for balance :) All natural with maple and white blocks would have to be the one [/quote]

Have a try of a CIJ Marcus Miller. Brilliant basses with awesome necks. Not sure about the preamps, but presumably it would be easy to replace them with passive circuitry.... Well worth a look!

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1400056629' post='2450190']
I think there's an EMG J set in the for sale section just now.
[/quote]

Hmmmmm..... <heads over to the for sale section...> B)

Edit - a bit pricey for me at the moment... :(

Edited by Conan

I love EMGs personally. On their own they are far too hi-fi, but in a gig situation the entire band noticed the difference. The lead guitarist has a great ear and remarked that there was so much air in the sound that, even cranked up loud (the way i like it on stage), I wasn't 'getting in anyone's way' sonically speaking.

That said, on my 70s Jazz I have Wizards in - but whilst I love the sound, whenever I use that bass we seem to get into a volume war. When I use my bitsa with the gold EMG pickups in (P/J) there's never an issue.

+1 for swapping the necks on those two, I can't stand the black binding either. I notice they just started making the Geddy Lee with pearl blocks and white binding... what a shame it's waaaay out of my price range.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1400061087' post='2450258']
Are you a little bit tempted to swap the necks over ?

I got bitten by the jazz bug after thinking I needed a P bass and selling a delicious DJ4 Lakland. I put the Model J's into the next jazz I got and loved the sound. I'm currently on a P/J with Fralin's for the 'best of both' but wouldn't mind another Jazz for balance :) All natural with maple and white blocks would have to be the one - a Lakland ACDJ4 would be the ticket :)
[/quote]

The thought crossed my mind... ;)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1400184025' post='2451658']
Thats a real beauty :)

Love it. Now what you need on that my son is a nice dark wood veneer scratch plate ;)

A Jazz - you know it makes sense

A
[/quote]

if I follow your advice I'd end up with a gold-plated bling-master Jazz... erm, no, thanks! I'm not man enough to pull that one off :lol: :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1400233539' post='2452043']
if I follow your advice I'd end up with a gold-plated bling-master Jazz... erm, no, thanks! I'm not man enough to pull that one off :lol: :P
[/quote]

Nice merkin btw :D

A