Why become a member? ×

E & A for plain gut... needs to bow, slap and pizz

Hey Gang,
I'm looking for Innovation string ideas to pair with plain gut G & D. I've been using wound gut but I go through them pretty fast. These will need to have a similar tension to the wound gut (lower than steel but higher than weedwackers.)
I tried golden slaps a couple of years ago and liked the tension but the bowability (at least for my skill level) was too diffucult. Slap and pizz were great.
I also tried 140B orchestra and they bowed well but the tension was a little much for slap.
(I'm coming to the conclusion that string diameter has more to do with slapability than tension for the E & A strings... ie bigger is better.)

Opinions?? Rockabillys?? 140H Honey??

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I would say that your best bet would be the Rockabillys - they have a flat wound outer wrap which gives more contact area for the bow than the slaps, so there's more grip - not as good as the steel wraps as the nylon is naturally non stick, but some people do like them for bowing as they have a slightly breathy almost baroque sound...
Cheers,
Daf