Why become a member? ×

Trouble soldering a wire back onto the output jack

ChaosAD

Hi there. I am trying to fix my friends bass guitar but, for some reason, I just can not get my solder to melt :\
At first I tried a 30w iron. Didn't work.
Then I tried a 40w iron. Still didn't work.
So I tried a 100w soldering gun. Solder still won't melt.

It is absolutely frying me now. It's not industrial strength solder or anything like that. Just stuff I got from maplins.

I have tried leaving all the soldering irons on for 20 minutes or so and trying, still nothing.

Am I missing something? or am I being dumb? Or is my solder not really solder? I'm so fried it's actually starting to stress me out a bit lol.

This is my solder (is it definitely solder?)

Well I called my dad to ask him (as it's his stuff) and, apparently, it's not actually solder. It's industrial strength locking wire that he uses when fixing aircraft's and you wouldn't be able to melt it even if you used a flame thrower.
So that solves that one lol.

Y'know I looked at that and thought, 'that looks like locking wire to me'...

The biggest difference, apart from the fact that it won't melt, is the solder will be bendy and break easily, and locking wire is as stiff as a board and razor sharp on the end.

http://www.doctortweek.co.uk/shop/article_144/Solder-18SWG-(1-meter)---Low-Temp%2C-Fast-Flow%2C-proper-solder!.html?sessid=qu6QmpmDu3X0tqBAqCZwU2WxrNDpuhT5y1J5gHBWDHy8UJ0DezSiv2LfFgULyTS7&shop_param=cid%3D19%26aid%3D144%26

That'll do nicely.