Why become a member? ×

Avoid shipping anything musical with Myhermes

itsmedunc

I recently got a text from DPD saying my parcel had been successfully delivered (address in Manchester) which was kinda strange as I hadn't sent anything! it was probably a customer putting the wrong mobile number in rather then an error by DPD though.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1399557362' post='2445291']
Most courier insurances don't cover guitars or other instruments, not just MyHermes.

I gotta say, I've used them quite a lot and have never had a problem.
[/quote]
Ups have been just fine

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399561198' post='2445354']
Yes - but another one of their options is called 'Interparcel Standard', who have been UPS the several times I've used them.
[/quote]
Yep quite right and they have always been early or on time, even to Northern Ireland on a bank holiday

MyHermes lost a laptop I sent but luckily I got the insurance as I'd paid extra to have it signed for. Equally due to a tiny error in the postcode they messed a buyer of mine about despite the Town being clearly marked on the package. They deliver for Lands End and do their collections fine but its usually someone in the family car delivering in between picking the kids up from school around my way...

Not too impressed with home delivery network. Bought something from amazon , who used these as a third party. Cards through door/not delivering when you wait for them . Depot for collection was too far from my address . There is a lot of competition out there. One would think that bad service was minimal.
Maybe it is. There are too many people in the world now. Too many cars/vans/bikes/ lorry's ...

I've used them (Hermes) myself to send low value stuff, and I've bought quite a number of things that've been delivered to me by them, and I've not personally had amy problems.

I have, however, had 'issues' with others that some are recommending as better alternatives...

ISTM they're all much of a muchness.

Hermes don`t actually deliver the parcels themselves. The way it works is Hermes deliver to sub depots or peoples houses and they deliver the parcels for a fee. Anyone can do the delivery job, all you need is a car and a phone. I used to do work for them and delivered the bulk parcels to punters houses and the sub depots and there are some right dodgy characters amongst them.

Also the way that packages are handled inside the warehouses is scary. I have seen guitar shaped parcels at the bottom of the large cages that they use with heavy boxes piled on top. Fragile labels are a waste of time, the guys in these places earn crap money and don`t give a toss on the whole. I would say this is true of most of these courier companies.

Unfortunately in this day and age, these companies are a necessary evil.

UPS/Interparcel have been good when I've used them. Same with DPD, but their system seems not to care what size the parcel is - several times I've had emails saying "You must be in to sign for this", I've not been there, and they just stuffed t through the letterbox (mostly these have been CDs).

MyHermes have been poor at best. Their local depot is not open the hours their website claims it is, for a start.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1399581074' post='2445677']
...the guys in these places earn crap money and don`t give a toss on the whole. I would say this is true of most of these courier companies.
[/quote]

Driving's not a lot of fun, particularly in the south east. So stress, minimum wage, the necessity to do about 120 drops a day to make anywhere near decent money... probably no job security... to be honest I think I'd be less than fussy about the actual goods after a while. :(

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399561746' post='2445366']
MyHerpes, Sh1tty Link, ParcelFarce, Royal Fail, PooPS, Nodel, FedUp... any other good courier names?!
[/quote]

Oh yes, Sh1ttyLink.

Anyway I was expecting a parcel. This particular time I wasn't in. They left no card (I found all this out later). Now usually when you get a card it tells you they will try again tomorrow unless you phone. As I didn't get a card I had no idea they were going to try the next day. They tried again the next day (I wasn't in) and left no card again. The first I know about any of this is when the seller emails me that the package has been returned to him after two failed delivery attempts.

Naturally I phoned CityLink to say I never got a card through the door. I was told (hold on to your hats) that it is their policy not to put cards through addresses that are flats for security reasons. Now given that I live in London where most people are living in some sort of flat/shared accommodation then that kind of kills their London operation existing. Also as it happens I do have my own post box anyway. In the end the seller resent it but I think he swallowed the cost (I certainly wasn't going to pay for CityLink's ineptitude). It seems CityLink expect you use telepathy to judge whether a delivery has been attempted.

In this day of mobiles it seems all courier comapnies are incapable of using this amazing technology to see if we're in. I have to say on this front Amazon is brilliant with texts telling me my parcel is on its way and one after it's been delivered (which is a good security check).

I always use the Interparcel/[s]UPS[/s] edit DHL - what is the matter with my brains -option and have never had any issues. And my feedback is a hot topic - I am now on quite chatty terms with the local driver!

I would say without exception with every other courier I have ever used or tried to use there has always been a problem or potential problem - late to pick up, no shows, late delivery, damaged, small print exclusions from insurance etc.

Particularly fed up with Royal Mail at the moment. I tried to send a parcel to France yesterday with a plant inside. Was asked what was inside, I told them. Sorry, can't send plants to France. I know for a fact that, as we are both EU members, there is free trade and passage of plant material (with a very few exceptions). Every year I drive from Holland to France with a car full of plants: lorries come back and forth through France all day, every day, through France laden with all things horticultural and botanical. So there is some tiny bureaucratic nonsense unique to Royal Mail that prohibits this. I ended up going to the next post office and told them, when asked, it was a toy.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1399620494' post='2445854']
This industry is a national scandal
[/quote]

:)
Seeing from other similar threads it's an international scandal, but with different experiences in different countries.
I don't think we have MyHermes here, but it sounds like Hull with their using dodgy characters to do low cost deliveries. In fact that alone probably prevents them from operating here at any rate. Lidl didn't manage to survive in Norway, and neither would MyHermes.

As posted earlier, DHL have been consistently stellar with me, whilst UPS always falsely claim they've attempted delivery at our portcullis (both Alto and young Tenor overlook the drive up to Caterpillar Castle, as I do myself. Also, we have cctv on the other side of the moat).

What UPS also will do consistently is let cheaper packages slip through without duties and VAT, whilst instead putting those small amounts as little extras on the bills of firms who get bigger packages - even mentioning who that cheaper package was for (always the same amount and the same adressee in my case). It's too expensive for the firm to even consider reacting to this, whilst on the other side, His Majesty's Customs are kept satisfied with roughly the expected revenue out of UPS.
I have the evidence in my bookkeeping.
The only thing I've not encountered is that my own firm had to pay for my own private cheaper packages.
I feel like murder and bombs and grenades, I tells ya! If only I had time and money to follow it up in the judicial system.
Of course they'd simply claim "bug in the software".
I beg to differ.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1399588974' post='2445768']
Oh yes, Sh1ttyLink.

Anyway I was expecting a parcel. This particular time I wasn't in. They left no card (I found all this out later). Now usually when you get a card it tells you they will try again tomorrow unless you phone. As I didn't get a card I had no idea they were going to try the next day. They tried again the next day (I wasn't in) and left no card again. The first I know about any of this is when the seller emails me that the package has been returned to him after two failed delivery attempts.

Naturally I phoned CityLink to say I never got a card through the door. I was told (hold on to your hats) that it is their policy not to put cards through addresses that are flats for security reasons.
[/quote]

I had an urgent delivery direct to a client last month, got an email from the supplier saying "CL had tried to deliver, no-one to sign for, carded & returned to depot, will retry the next day". I gave the reception a right rollicking & they accepted it was an unlucky coincidence that they must have been to the loo for 2 minutes, no other possibility.
The same thing happened the next day but that was an essential delivery so something had to happen. When I called their reception again to ask "wtf?" their security guy came on the phone and said "We've got 16+ CCTV cameras here, not only has there been NO couriers in this area this morning there hasn't been any within the approach roads either."
I phoned CL and as I held they checked their trucks GPS and confirmed that that was the case. It still took God knows how many calls before the delivery came back the same day - allegedly with a different driver - and with 5 minutes spare.
It seems to be that they often use private couriers themselves for small items, with obviously varying degrees of professionalism.

Edited by Big_Stu

I tried to send an amp to someone via CityLink. It never got collected by them, but they did try to deliver a large retail display unit on a palate, which my buyer declined.

Another courier sorted my amp in the end, and as a bonus, I had a large retail display unit on a palate 'returned' to me. It's still here, and CityLink showed no interest in returning it to its rightful owner. They still insist that it's mine.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1399641197' post='2446204']
...as a bonus, I had a large retail display unit on a palate 'returned' to me. It's still here, and CityLink showed no interest in returning it to its rightful owner. They still insist that it's mine.
[/quote]

Might as well get into retail then, as you've got the facilities...

I had problems with DPD today, they text me twice asking where I wanted the item delivered, twice I said deliver to the house opposite, so they tried to deliver today, I was out, as expected, tried my next door neighbour who is disabled and can't get to the door so they took it away again!

I needed it for tonight's gig so had to go chasing the driver round town to meet up and collect it, ok it was sorted in the end but it was a hassle I didn't need on a Friday afternoon, DPD's excuse...a computer glitch......B'stards

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1399563472' post='2445387']
Anyone used DPD for sending stuff?

Having stuff delivered by them is marvelous. Best tracking system out of any courier by far.

As far a restricted items, musical instruments aren't on their list.
[/quote]
I've never had a good experience with DPD and I've had several bad ones.