Why become a member? ×

Do I go b3k or vintage microtubes?

Patchbass

Hey guys,

Now after getting my abm 500 and 410 I am now starting to get some money together again and basically I know I either want
a b3k or a vintage microtubes but I really can't choose and I understand they're quite different animals but I love the sound of both and i'm
not in a position to try them both out but I want a fairly tube like OD that can go from nice breakup to some nice grindy bright sounds that cut through the
mix like an explosion ;) so which one do you reckon will suit me more for a warm sound but also something that can get quite extreme and tear through the mix!
Or do I just have to get one and the other later? ;)
Cheers,

Patch :)

Edited by Patchbass

I've played both. The Vintage nails tubey but isn't what I'd call bright even with the Era knob cranked. The B3K doesn't sound like tubes to me at all, more like scooped, fizzy and metallic.

The Vintage has more low end than the B3K; you really need the blend on the B3K to bring it back in, whereas the VMT has plenty of lows even set to 100% wet.

Basically, if you like classic tube amp sounds, go Vintage. If you like modern and aggressive, go B3K. Or save for both!

If I had to choose one from the two it would be the Vintage (or Vintage Deluxe if funds allowed).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1398976579' post='2439720']
I've played both. The Vintage nails tubey but isn't what I'd call bright even with the Era knob cranked. The B3K doesn't sound like tubes to me at all, more like scooped, fizzy and metallic.

The Vintage has more low end than the B3K; you really need the blend on the B3K to bring it back in, whereas the VMT has plenty of lows even set to 100% wet.

Basically, if you like classic tube amp sounds, go Vintage. If you like modern and aggressive, go B3K. Or save for both!

If I had to choose one from the two it would be the Vintage (or Vintage Deluxe if funds allowed).
[/quote] ahh thats helpful thank you :) but seems like both is the only option right now and I need to narrow it down to one really ;) I would love the sound that Nick gets on here if it helps for more of an idea http://youtu.be/WlMzuzud8U4

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1399041616' post='2440373']
yo, i live in leeds and have both pedals if you wanna come try them, but my availability is pretty slim as im about to go do a million gigs until the end of the month
[/quote] That's very kind thanks and I don't live far away but I probably won't be able to make it over for a while anyway but thank you :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1398976579' post='2439720']

[/quote]

I was intending to start a topic about this and it appears I don't have to.
I owned the b3k and I thought it was as you had said - fizzy and metallic.

I was planning to try the b7k thinking the eq would help me sculpt the sound better but maybe not.
On reading your post would I be correct in understanding that the vintage will nail tube grit spot on ? And the deluxe will add the cherry on top?

I had the Vintage, very dissapointed, difficult to say why but just didn't have the wow factor that the B3K gave me.

Having owned all but the Vintage Deluxe, I have stuck with the B7K [new model]. EQ vital in dialling in the right tone, its a superb pedal. Valve-type sounds can easily be achieved dialling off the treble and warming it up.

So the b7k with the eq is doing the business for you. I don't see any other thing here for me other than to buy both and just see for myself.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't bothered starting with effects and just sticking to my policy for 25yrs of good bass + good amp and dig in hard for dirt. If nothing else it was cheaper.

Thanks

Edited by bassman344

Based on that video, definitely the Vintage. If you were going after a modern metal/industrial sound, kinda grindy like Tool or Karnivool, then B3K/B7K all way.

If you wanted one pedal for both sounds then B7K or VMT Deluxe have cross over due to the extra EQ. But they cost almost as much getting both the standard pedals!

The VMT is the closest pedal to tube power amp distortion I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot. Also, it doesn't fart out on the low notes with a hot bass like so many others do. The Era knob gives a bit of tonal variation, mellower to the left and more aggressive to the right, but it sounds a bit too dark through my Orange Terror Bass, which is itself a really dark sounding amp. Sounds amazing through a brighter amp though, but if you happen to be an OTB user, you'll want the VMT Deluxe or a separate EQ pedal.

I recently borrowed this VMT from someone and liked it so much I've just forked out for a VMT Deluxe! I've been through so many drive pedals lately, but for now my overdrive GAS is well and truly satisfied, at least until the forthcoming Wampler bass overdrive comes out!

Unless money is a real issue, I wouldn't get a B3K or a VMT. The EQ makes such a difference; to my ears the B7K set flat is not a great sound, and that is the stock B3K sound. The lack of a traditional tone control or any kind of EQ on the B3k/VMT is a real limitation.

I am tempted to give the VMT sound another go by trying the Deluxe, as I can imagine some of the issues I had with the VMT may be resolved by this (I don't tend to touch my amps eq).

Edited by Kev

Tone is subjective, and pedals all react differently to various basses, playing styles and amps. I had high hopes for the B3K but returned it the same day. After that I wasn't expecting much from the VMT yet I loved it.

Yet other people, like Kev above, had the opposite experience! All are valid opinions though. The only way to tell for sure is to get both and return/sell the one you like least!

It's a catch22 situation here and darkglass have you by the short and curlys.

Tempt you with what's possible with the baby of the family and tease your hard earned cash later for the beast which undoubtedly will be the mutts nuts.

I'm resigned to the £285 package , just which one ?

I agree with the flat eq on the amp too, that way you never forget your settings.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1399069657' post='2440838']
Buy both, sell one, you will lost 10% perhaps, max. Best way :)
[/quote] That is the best way but sadly I don't have the funds but I do plan to maybe buy the b3k later down the line but for now I'm pretty much sold on the VMT, cheers :)

I have the Vintage and it's my only 'always on' pedal. Love the tone it gives me, really warm and the blend function makes is very useable without losing bottom end. It gives me a really nice hint of dirt without destroying my tone. I also run a Big Muff Clone after it if I want ridiculous over the top fuzz. Works well, although I really need to get a paralooper so I can blend my clean signal with the Muff.

I got my Microtubes Vintage on the Talk Bass forums second hand, and paid about 1/2 the going rate over here. The seller was kind enough to doctor the customs declaration so I didn't get hit with tax.

Edited by bisonkills

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1399134250' post='2441407']
Have you had a look at the SolidgoldFX Beta? I'm hearing nothing but good stuff about it. Might be worth a look?
[/quote] I shall definitely look into it thanks :) hope it doesn't make my situation harder ;)

When I tried both out I found that the B7K was the way to go, covered a lot of the ground of VMT and all of the B3K. The EQ really makes the difference with these and gives you the options you want with this kind of investment.