Why become a member? ×

Zoot Iceni Chaser Bass
£657

Changles

(Edit: Price reduced to £500.

I also recently found the invoice on which the bass is described, and the original, quite faded receipts, too.)

Dear all:

I am selling my Zoot Iceni Chaser Bass, made by Mike Walsh in 2009. I haven't played bass for a couple of years now, and am going abroad for a year in a few months, so it is a good time to be getting rid of things I suppose.

There used to be a little 'build diary' of it on here, but I suppose it was deleted, as are all my labours.

It is on eBay at present. It isn't having much luck on there so I thought to try here.

I would prefer cash on collection.

Also, anyone is welcome to come and inspect it for themselves, without a commitment to buying, of course.

As I cannot put the eBay link in this post with impunity, here is the description which I have there given (slightly abridged):

This fine instrument was handmade for me in 2009 by Mike Walsh, and co., of Iceni Zoot, the Essex-based bespoke bass manufacturers.

The company seems since to have shifted their focus to their Purple Chili bass cabinets, but you can find information on their basses and them in general here: [url="http://www.purple-chili.com/"]http://www.purple-chili.com/[/url]

It is a passive bass; it has Seymour Duncan pickups—a Musicman humbucker at the bridge, and a jazz bass pickup closer to the neck for warmth—with volume controls for each pickup, a very responsive tone control, as well as a switch that changes the humbucker to singlecoil—all leading to the capacity for great variety of tone. It has a very warm tone, along with that important definition in the mid to low-mid range. Its warmth is added to by the Tomastik Infeld flatwound strings I currently have on it.

You will see that it is composed of quite striking woods. I remember that the top is Canadian Quilted Maple, and the thin black wedge which separates it from the other maple is ebony. The fingerboard is a Birdseye rock maple. The stripes of brown running down the neck are another wood, but I cannot recall them now.

The bridge allows either stringing through the body of the bass or the end of the bridge (what I believe they call 'top-loading'). The screw for the E string is quite mangled from one very naughty screwdriver. This would probably need replacing at some point if you wanted to mess around with the set up, intonation, etc. I couldn't capture it in the photos, so that photo is not there. But, from past experience, it is not so bad that it doesn't work in conjunction with a good screwdriver.

It has had a number of dings, so please look at the photos carefully: one it received in transit when a tone knob came loose in the post to me (it used to have metal, telecaster-type tone knobs, since replaced with those from EBS's pedals); the worst ding in the front of the body is from when a vile fiend dropped his car keys on it; the remainder are from the wear and tear of gigs several times a week for a few years. The most important, I would say, from a practical point of view, is where the finish has come off the back of the neck (see photo). But I played this very happily for a long time with that little flaw, so why shouldn't you?

I am selling this because I was prevented from playing the bass a few years ago when my carpal tunnel syndrome became too grievous not to affect my musical practice in a decidedly negative direction.

Postage is expensive, awkward, and, when involving instruments, risky; therefore, I would vastly prefer cash on collection. This also allows you to come and see the bass, try it out, check that it's right for you, and so on.

However, if you really cannot come to Harrogate to try it (I would offer to meet halfway but do not drive and have no friends), get in touch and perhaps we can sort something out.

I can also include a hard case and/or a double bass gig bag—for free!

It cost £849 new; I am looking for £500. My sincere thanks for your interest.

Edited by Changles
eBay link removed

Lovely bass, I've been tempted by it on FEEBay on and off for quite a while.
If somebody hit the BIN on FEEBay, and paid by PAINPal, as sellers MUST offer, the final sales fees would be £87.10 by my reckoning.

Nice bass and good luck with the sale.
Bump.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1398777753' post='2437491']
Lovely bass, I've been tempted by it on FEEBay on and off for quite a while.
If somebody hit the BIN on FEEBay, and paid by PAINPal, as sellers MUST offer, the final sales fees would be £87.10 by my reckoning.

Nice bass and good luck with the sale.
Bump.
[/quote]

Yes, it is quite cheeky of FEEBay and PAINpal to charge what they do. More like CHEEK-eBay.

Thank you for bringing those charges to the attention of myself and others: let only he who is without pity hit the BIN.

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1398778131' post='2437497']
Including external links to ebay auctions is against forum rules, I believe.

Nice bass though, I have a chaser myself :)
[/quote]

If so, oops, and my apologies go to those afflicted (if any). I am sure the moderators will let me know if it is a problem. I just wished to get it noticed.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1398781102' post='2437528']
I've got the prototype...lovely slim neck on these...GLWTS
[/quote]

That is something I forgot to say, so thank you for doing that for me. The things we forget over the years... I used never to shut up about the pleasure of slim necked basses! Perhaps that is why I am alone today.

you could have also mentioned the near perfect balance (so nice on a strap), how comfortably they sit on your knee when you're playing sitting down and the range of tones....

Mine was originally built with a Graphite neck but trying to get Mike to look for it in his workshop is...well let's say it probably won't happen with the backlog of orders for Purple Chilli cabs...

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather shift this sooner than later.

Therefore, I officially announce a [i]special Basschat offer[/i][i]![/i]

£500!

By special basschat offer, I mean that I can't be bothered to change the eBay price.

I hope that this generates some interest, and look forward to hearing from you.

• 11 months later...

It has not yet sold, although I am waiting to hear back from someone about it just now.

I'll post here as to whether it sells or remains available as soon as I know.

The wheel of the second-hand bass market turns yet more slowly than that of justice!