Why become a member? ×

Splitting off essentials to there own board.

elephantgrey

I have been putting off my idea of buying a flightcase, and building a board for all my effects (im thinking of making a dual layer board using GORM shelfs and hinges) because every time im about to, i get GAS for another pedal, and the specs increase a little. As such i still dont have an actual board for my effects, and its getting to the point where im thinking about just building/buying a board for my essencials, and then whenever i get around to the big board, just wire the smaller one into it.

So far im thinking just my Compressore, Pollytune, a cheap distortion i dont know the make of*, and my MS60b. But with a little headroom with both space/mA's to add maybe another pedal if the gods of GAS decree it so.

Anyone have any advice on what commercial board would be suitable for this, and what power supply i should look at? so far i have only really looked at supplies that would power most of my collection (atleast 3A with multiple voltages etc) so i have dismissed most of the smaller supplies as just unsuitable.

Thanks in advance for any input.
elephantgrey

*Its a cheap thing that cuts alot of low end out, and sounds terrible in a really unmusical way, but part of me loves it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1398631093' post='2436056']
Parkinson's Law applies to pedal collections - they expand to fill the space available. So no matter what board you buy it will never seem big enough.

In the end you either find yourself with several boards, or one of modest size. Either way you won't be satisfied, but the latter option is at least cheaper.
[/quote]

Im thinking about going with the multiple approach. atleast then i can set up an essentials board, get a dedicated power supply for it and not have to carry about individual effects and a bunch of wall warts (unless i want some of my more fun effects)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1398637148' post='2436158']
Pedal train junior, and a diago power station.

[url="https://www.hotroxuk.com"]https://www.hotroxuk.com[/url] should be your one stop pedal needs shop, all budgets accommodated for.
[/quote]

the junior looks about right, but im thinking of going with an isolated power supply.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1398765710' post='2437292']
GigRig Generator. That way you can also power the rest of your rig from the same PSU when you use it by just clipping in a cable, and have a range of different options for pretty much anything you need.

Liam
[/quote]

I was looking at getting one before i decided to split off these pedals onto there own board, as it was the only one that had enough current. I hadnt thought of running this board with one, then splitting off another distributor onto the other board. Just hadnt occurred to me really. Interesting idea though.

As a side note, i really wish that the gigrig system could do AC, then i could wire my drum machine (Korg ESX1) off of it.