Why become a member? ×

NAD: Ashdown CTM-100

TheRockinRoadie

Hi All,

Happy New Amp day to me (well, technically Wednesday)!

I took a trip up to Birmingham on Wednesday to pick up a shiny Ashdown CTM-100 all valve head. I thought i would make a thread as i know theyre rare beats on here.

I must say I'm really impressed with it so far. I was a bit worried that the 100W power stage wouldn't be loud enough for my three piece band, but coupled with my Genz-Benz 2x10 cab, it doesn't have any problems at. The sheer force it uses to push the air doesn't even compare to my ABM & MAG heads (300W each), even though it isn't as loud. I love the valve growl from both the preamp and the power stage, which pushes nicely. I little more clean headroom on the output stage would be nice, but I'm not picky as it sounds awesome.

As Mark Gooday says in the CTM300 video, it doesn't do radical EQ changes, but if you're like me and want a vintage valve amp tone, then there's more than enough flexibility to cut through the mix at gigs. The 'Deep' switch gives a really thuddy low end tone, but scoops the mids just that little bit much to cut through live. The 'Bright' switch makes the top end really bright, and is very 'zangy'. Mellow seems to pop a lot of mids (and therefore drive) back in when on the Deep switch is also pushed in, but i don't notice it so much without - maybe I'll notice the difference playing live.

So far I've only used it with my Lakland 44-02, with the pre-amp set flat, so still have the Jazz and Washburn to try. i'm looking forward to plugging in my Precision most!

I'm really looking forward to my next gig on May 10th, to see what it sounds like through the PA.

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/21ajshz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/dw3lv4.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for looking :)

It's true - and it just moves the air in a different way.

When i stand in front of the cabinet with the 100, it's like being punch in the leg every time you hit a note. You juts dont get that with the same cabinet and the 300W heads.

It was just about loud enough for a full blown rehearsal, but I want to see how my PA handles it, and check the DI sound. Should be fun!

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1398503851' post='2434703']
It was just about loud enough for a full blown rehearsal...
[/quote]

Then you must be in one hell of a loud band, my friend.
When I rehearse with my Burman 100W the master is at 9 o'clock and I'm wearing ear protection. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1398502066' post='2434677']
Hi All,

Happy New Amp day to me (well, technically Wednesday)!

I took a trip up to Birmingham on Wednesday to pick up a shiny Ashdown CTM-100 all valve head. I thought i would make a thread as i know theyre rare beats on here.

I must say I'm really impressed with it so far. I was a bit worried that the 100W power stage wouldn't be loud enough for my three piece band, but coupled with my Genz-Benz 2x10 cab, it doesn't have any problems at. The sheer force it uses to push the air doesn't even compare to my ABM & MAG heads (300W each), even though it isn't as loud. I love the valve growl from both the preamp and the power stage, which pushes nicely. I little more clean headroom on the output stage would be nice, but I'm not picky as it sounds awesome.

As Mark Gooday says in the CTM300 video, it doesn't do radical EQ changes, but if you're like me and want a vintage valve amp tone, then there's more than enough flexibility to cut through the mix at gigs. The 'Deep' switch gives a really thuddy low end tone, but scoops the mids just that little bit much to cut through live. The 'Bright' switch makes the top end really bright, and is very 'zangy'. Mellow seems to pop a lot of mids (and therefore drive) back in when on the Deep switch is also pushed in, but i don't notice it so much without - maybe I'll notice the difference playing live.

So far I've only used it with my Lakland 44-02, with the pre-amp set flat, so still have the Jazz and Washburn to try. i'm looking forward to plugging in my Precision most!

I'm really looking forward to my next gig on May 10th, to see what it sounds like through the PA.

Thanks for looking :)
[/quote]
I've got the big brother to the amp, the CTM300 and christ does it move some air and punch you in the midriff when through a 410 or 610! The tone is just unlike anything I've ever used yet, it's crisp and sweet with plenty of cut but it has that boom and thunder from the bottom end also, and that's just set flat with my Precision! I like boosting a bit of the mids to about 1, pushing the bass to 2.5 and cutting the treble to 11 or leaving it flat! Just gives a rounded cutting tone. Push the front end and it burbles and growls and makes me smile with joy, the back end when pushed is just obscene! Ashdown have got their whole valve series perfect in my opinion!

• 6 months later...

how did the head hold up in the end?

im seriously considering looking at one of these as a replacement to my current class d head but worried about the volume, well i say worried its just a big drop from 1000w to 100w!

but the fact i use an 810! hopefully this should push enough air that its not really a problem, and i as use alot of effects any chance you know if it plays well with fuzz and dirt pedals?

andy

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1416247107' post='2608297']
With the right cab this is a very giggable amp, I absolutely love mine :)
[/quote]

well id be using it mostly with my 810, i like the sound of 100w i just cant help but think 300w would be overkill for my needs, i used to have an old orange 140w head but back then only had an 115 cab, and to be loud enough for my old three piece band it would be basically overdrive sound.

its between the 100w and the ad200 but this one has a di which puts it ahead and is obviously cheaper.

andy

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1416243945' post='2608245']
how did the head hold up in the end?

im seriously considering looking at one of these as a replacement to my current class d head but worried about the volume, well i say worried its just a big drop from 1000w to 100w!

but the fact i use an 810! hopefully this should push enough air that its not really a problem, and i as use alot of effects any chance you know if it plays well with fuzz and dirt pedals?

andy
[/quote] My 200w Buster (valve) is pretty powerful vs my 900w Genz head, not to spark the age old "tube vs class d" arguments. There is the 300w version of this Ashdown head, right? I'd say that is going to be plenty powerful.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1416260536' post='2608503']
No problem gigging my CTM100 (with 2 x 210s) in a loud band. Admittedly there's not a huge amount of clean headroom over our usual backline vol, but I haven't needed it so far. Sounds ace.
[/quote]

not so worried about clean headroom as i never have a clean sound always heavy fuzz or dirt.

and the 300w version does look like a monster but i want something thats just right as i very rarely use the terror past one! so thinking the 300w might be a bit much as i dnt need massive headroom

andy

Guest monsterthompson

don't forget the rule for volume increase - double the wattage gets you 3db, which isn't terribly noticed my most people. If you push a big enough cab, the speaker displacement should be a bigger factor than the 100w rating.

well ive sent an email now to a local shop asking them about prices, thie minimum ive had at a gig was a 410 so im thinking of maybe taking a gamble might even try my ctm 15 thro the 810 if that almost copes (i doubt it) then the 100w will be fine plus gives me the option of going for all valve dirt with out killing people.

thanks for your help guys

andy

For what it's worth I have a CTM300 and it's an utter monster! I've barely pushed it past 8 o'clock! I use it through a Laney 410, which isn't great as ideally I need a better cab, but that's another matter! The 100 will almost certainly be fine for your needs. My 300 is such a beast I'm thinking of picking up an Aguilar TH500!

I do like these.. :D It's an itch that hasn't gone away!

As a rule I don't particularly get on with the Ashdown but if these are what I think they are under the skin then I'm probably going to love them. Not sure if there's any local tho, Academy of Sound are my dealer and thats nearly all ABM and MAG models..

The 100w model would probably do me nicely..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1416302262' post='2608740']
I do like these.. :D It's an itch that hasn't gone away!

As a rule I don't particularly get on with the Ashdown but if these are what I think they are under the skin then I'm probably going to love them. Not sure if there's any local tho, Academy of Sound are my dealer and thats nearly all ABM and MAG models..

The 100w model would probably do me nicely..
[/quote]

I've got to ask - what do you think it might be?