Why become a member? ×

Entwistle bass pickups

cachao

39 minutes ago, Paul C said:

They r quite a deep pickup with the larger magnets but with my bass, after removing the old crappy 30 yr old foam it was fine. I think someone posted the approximate depth of the pickups on this thread if u want to check up front. 

Thx. Yamaha is pretty light on the in-depth info on this bass. But I can always pull the stock pickups out and measure the cavity. 

11 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

@Iron1

28mm rings a bell for the split-p.

The magnets arent the problem, only 6mm x 6mm. It's the pole pieces are long screws.

Dab of white paint on the bottom of pole pieces, drop in the pickup cavity. Still sink holes for the poles. White paint gives the position of the holes.

That's a great idea! Appreciate it.

If I dig these, I also have an Ibanez EXB445 with 2 EMG Select Js in it I might swap out, too. Anyone have any experience comparing those to Entwistles? 

@Iron1

No idea how they would fare against EMG selects but they wipe the floor with Duncan QPs.

Entwistle Neos use a pretty standard wire count  so its quite even Tone, output comes from the super strong magnets. QPs use a high wire count to boost the output, the high count affects the Tone.

• Like 1

@Iron1

Just measured the height of a JBXN I had laying in the drawer. 25mm top of pole piece to bottom of magnet.

If I can unearth the PBXN I'll post the size for it too 👍

Mind I mention Duncan QPs and Entwistles.

Screenshot of a short clip recorded in Audacity. Identical basses, same strings, same pickup heights and same recording settings

Duncans first.

2052593721_DuncanZodiac.thumb.jpg.e79a717cd4aa2e2cdccec1f7d9e0bd8a.jpg

12920598_EntwistleZodiac.thumb.jpg.f69042e2e0adfd96ecce4a60f88e1531.jpg

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

@Iron1

Just measured the height of a JBXN I had laying in the drawer. 25mm top of pole piece to bottom of magnet.

Mind I mention Duncan QPs and Entwistles.

Screenshot of a short clip recorded in Audacity. Identical basses, same strings, same pickup heights and same recording settings

Duncans first.

2052593721_DuncanZodiac.thumb.jpg.e79a717cd4aa2e2cdccec1f7d9e0bd8a.jpg

12920598_EntwistleZodiac.thumb.jpg.f69042e2e0adfd96ecce4a60f88e1531.jpg

Wow, big difference. Thanks for taking the measurements, I'll get mine shortly and see about ordering some pickups! Love this bass, but these stock pickups are a bit lifeless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

@Iron1

Just caught you measured the Neos and not the regular J/PBX. I assume they're the same physical size, right? Might buy a set of non-neos today as there's a shop not to far away that has them in stock. 

44 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

The exact same size. For PBXN/JBXN all that happens is the ceramic magnets on PBX/JBX get swapped for Neodymium.

Valentine's have the dimensions on the product pages.

https://valentineguitars.co.uk/products/ols/categories/alan-entwistle-pickup-design

Thanks!

Is there a huge difference between the ceramic and the Neo? For reference, I play mostly metal (from thrash to death to doom) but I do like writing more melodic stuff from time to time. 

Entwistle's showed up late yesterday. Hopefully will have them installed later today! :santa:

Qn7OZ2c.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
Picture added for those who haven't yet seen the monster poles on the P:

hTSIxGg.jpg

Time to shake the ground!

Edited by Iron1

Got 'em installed and set them at the same height the stock ones were set, then quickly realized they needed to be lowered quite a bit. :lol: 

Not quite sure I have them set at the perfect height just yet, but they are far more articulate than the stock Yamaha pups. There's also a bit of harshness to them I'm not sure I like, but that could be just further height adjustment/a little tone fiddling with my Amp Sim in my Fractal. 

So far, definitely happy with them. 

Any suggestions on perfect pickup height?

• 1 year later...

I have a set on order, bit concerned about the size of the poles sticking out the back of the pickup, can anyone confirm if these are just steel poles and the bars are the neo magnets?  If so then maybe I can replace the steel poles with some shorter ones ?

33 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

If so then maybe I can replace the steel poles with some shorter ones ?

Very bad idea.

Unless you are 100% sure the machine screws have been slipped through a sleeve then you run the risk of snapping the coil wire.

Either trim the machine screws as they leave the magnet or follow my suggestion from the last time.

Use springs not foam to help adjust the height.

Daub white paint on the end of each pole piece.

Drop the pickups in the cavity then remove.

Take a drill with 5.5mm bit and bore shallow holes in the places marked by the white paint.

You don't need to drill deep, that's if you need to drill in the first place.

PBXN are 26mm tall. Pickup cavities are 19mm deep. Underside of strings to face of body normally between 12 to 15mm . 

Setting your pickups to 5mm below the strings is a rather large gap , Fender suggest 2.5mm to 3mm. 

21 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Very bad idea.

Unless you are 100% sure the machine screws have been slipped through a sleeve then you run the risk of snapping the coil wire.

Either trim the machine screws as they leave the magnet or follow my suggestion from the last time.

Use springs not foam to help adjust the height.

Daub white paint on the end of each pole piece.

Drop the pickups in the cavity then remove.

Take a drill with 5.5mm bit and bore shallow holes in the places marked by the white paint.

You don't need to drill deep, that's if you need to drill in the first place.

PBXN are 26mm tall. Pickup cavities are 19mm deep. Underside of strings to face of body normally between 12 to 15mm . 

Setting your pickups to 5mm below the strings is a rather large gap , Fender suggest 2.5mm to 3mm. 

Just received the pickup and attempted to fit it, I thought it might be close but there is literally no space at all like maybe 1mm between the pickup and the strings and when fretted they are sitting on the pickup so looks like I am going to either have to do some drilling or hacksaw off the excess steel pole length

3 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

there is literally no space at all like maybe 1mm between the pickup and the strings

What bass is it going in , cause none of this makes sense.

Industry standard cavity depth is 19mm. Split-P covers are usually 14mm high but Duncan QPs are 17.5mm overall. Split-P foam comes in two thicknesses 13 mm & 18mm, springs are 22mm - 25mm.

Grabbed 7 basses at random and measure from top of body to underside of strings, 14mm clearance. Cavity depth + clearance is the reason springs/foam are needed

There should be plenty of room for the Entwistle PBXN.

When I replaced the stock Duncan QPs in the Scorpio , it was a simple case of one out/one in. 

30 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

What bass is it going in , cause none of this makes sense.

Industry standard cavity depth is 19mm. Split-P covers are usually 14mm high but Duncan QPs are 17.5mm overall. Split-P foam comes in two thicknesses 13 mm & 18mm, springs are 22mm - 25mm.

Grabbed 7 basses at random and measure from top of body to underside of strings, 14mm clearance. Cavity depth + clearance is the reason springs/foam are needed

There should be plenty of room for the Entwistle PBXN.

When I replaced the stock Duncan QPs in the Scorpio , it was a simple case of one out/one in. 

Is a Fender 50s p bass

4 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Just received the pickup and attempted to fit it, I thought it might be close but there is literally no space at all like maybe 1mm between the pickup and the strings and when fretted they are sitting on the pickup so looks like I am going to either have to do some drilling or hacksaw off the excess steel pole length

If you hacksaw them off then they won’t be the pickups or sound you wanted 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

The Force is Strong with Entwistle Pickups!

Thankfully the Force is not neodymium strong with those Entwistle pickups.

Placing them that close together would see the wee Stormtrooper fella decapitated when they snapped together 😃

• Haha 1