Why become a member? ×

Entwistle bass pickups

cachao

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1461317037' post='3033578']
Its just a coincidence but I agree they do have plenty of bite and growl!
[/quote]

excellent! Might be tempted to buy a pair and modify my cheap squire somewhat, they seem well priced!

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1461317037' post='3033578']
Its just a coincidence but I agree they do have plenty of bite and growl!
[/quote]

Definitely, I've had 2 precisions converted to P/J recently (one Squier CV, and one Fender RW)
The Squier CV has a PBXN and JBXN, and it sounds huge. The RW has a JBXN and the stock Fender P pickup
The CV definitely has that bit more bite, and I'll be changing the P pickup on the RW soon

I really like Entwistle pickups - they're fab for the money. They sound great, and still retain a classic "vintage" type sound too
If they were twice the price, they'd still be amazing value IMO PS. Don't tell them I said that ;)
Also, as someone else already said, the delivery service on ebay was brilliant
I ordered 3 pickups, on separate occasions, and they all turned up 2 days later

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1459383596' post='3016112']
Just bought a pbxn to pop in a Squier Affinity I've got knocking around.
The stock pups are flat, characterless and have no punch.
Will put my two pence worth in when they are fitted.

If I like it then it'll be the tuners next, they're crap too!
[/quote]

I was thinking of doing exactly that with my Squier Affinity! Do you have any sound clips?

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1461265217' post='3033174']
these sound good! Are they good for getting a John Entwistle tone? I can get a similar tone with my new way of playing with a precision, but does this add extra growl like his? Or are the surnames a coincidence? haha
[/quote]

Yes, the surnames are just a coincidence - the pickups have nothing to do with John Entwistle

Edited by Marc S

I have a follow-up to my original post

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A few years back I bought an Overwater Tanglewood Classic Jazz. The first thing I noticed were that the electrics were weak...very low output pickups. Having decided to change these out, I swapped in a simple jazz loom, and installed some Entwistle neo pickups. The volume improvements were immediate. The tone improvements were not. Changes of strings didn't help. It seemed as if there was too much power...clanging overt[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ones...fret clank...horrible. I recently set-up a friends 1980's Jap Jazz, on the face of it, a similar bass, but the contrast was stark. I decided that I would sell the Overwater, but at least do some basic work on it first: Install & cut a new nut, as the previous strings had been very heavy gauge etc.[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I changed the strings out for some old roundwounds, but the problem persisted. As a final measure, I wondered if the problem lay with the neo bridge pickup, a very high output design, with very high magnetic pull. This turned out to be the issue. It was not the output, it was the pull. Once I switched it for a more conventional design (in this case a hum-cancelling pickup from an old Peavey Zodiac) the bass was transformed. No clanking, just much better. Probably a keeper now. Lovely with Chromes. Now setup with a Wilkinson split and a Peavey bridge pickup. [/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The lesson for me was the neo pickups are not suitable for all instruments, and careful matching is needed.[/font][/color]

Edited by cachao

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1461685444' post='3036755']

Definitely, I've had 2 precisions converted to P/J recently (one Squier CV, and one Fender RW)
The Squier CV has a PBXN and JBXN, and it sounds huge. The RW has a JBXN and the stock Fender P pickup
The CV definitely has that bit more bite, and I'll be changing the P pickup on the RW soon

I really like Entwistle pickups - they're fab for the money. They sound great, and still retain a classic "vintage" type sound too
If they were twice the price, they'd still be amazing value IMO PS. Don't tell them I said that ;)
Also, as someone else already said, the delivery service on ebay was brilliant
I ordered 3 pickups, on separate occasions, and they all turned up 2 days later
[/quote]

Thats what i like to hear, a huge p bass sound on a squire affinity. Think I'll do the same!

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1464544183' post='3060227']
A little bit of info, if your routing isnt deep enough for the long pole piece studs these use, just hacksaw the bottom off till theyre flush with the magnets, it makes no difference to the tone or output, ive done it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip :)

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1461099043' post='3031543'] Has anyone got the dimensions of these pups. [/quote]

Available on the website under the ´Support´tab

[url="http://www.entwistlepickups.com/index.php"]http://www.entwistlepickups.com/index.php[/url]

Guest MoJo

Anyone had experiences of the PBX and JBX (Non-Neo) pickups? Are these a little more tame? Do they still have a good level of clarity and articulation?

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1465208354' post='3066046']
Anyone had experiences of the PBX and JBX (Non-Neo) pickups? Are these a little more tame? Do they still have a good level of clarity and articulation?
[/quote]

I have the JBX's in a Harley Benton Standard Jazz and I think they are really good. I cant compare to the JBXN's but I do have the PBXN in a HB P bass and to be honest I dont really like them - the sound is just too big for my liking and I havent really found a tone that I am happy with. PBXN may be for sale shortly!

I will try and actually answer your question this time :) ....

Will definitely be tamer than the JBXN's but still a good output level. I have had no complaints at all, clear and articulate enough for my purposes doing rock covers. I guess it does depend on what exactly you are looking for but for the price, a great set of pickups imho.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

STOP! CHECK THESE! Alan ENTWISTLE made in Brittain. THe uninformed think of the OX but they are unrelated except like him these PU's have HUGE Power and Tone. I have Geezers and Quarter Pounders and they are more Powerful than the Geezers and have more power and tone than the QP's and half the prisce of both of them I have just put them in my newish MIM P and they have double the volume and tone than the Fender Alnico's that i took out. These things are the best and most bang-for-buck Bass Modification in History. There are 2 types the better arethe Neodymium magnets and the Ceramic Magnets which are cheaper. I was going to not tell anyone about these so that less players would be comparable to me tone but hey!...in live one gets what one gives. Here are some links http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?cat=bass AND reviews https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/235314-entwistle-bass-pickups/

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anyone can help. A friend of mine helped me fit a P and a J of the entwistles today. They sound fantastic....amazed at how much of an Improvement they are. Obviously my stock pickups weren't up to much esp the J. Quick technical question though..... When we were fitting them..... the magnets came off the P pickup and we didn't pay too much attention to how we reattached them. After fitting and testing the d and g string sound amazing on the P pickup but the E and A are much quieter. Is that possibly to do with us reattaching the magnets the wrong way? Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

On 29/11/2020 at 17:51, Paul C said:

Is that possibly to do with us reattaching the magnets the wrong way?

Aye, that's exactly what's happened. 

How do I know ?  Experienced the same thing, only in my case it was slightly worse.

Only came to light after I'd sold the pickup to a fellow BC'er 😱

Flip one of the magnets then revel in the power of the Entwistle 👍

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had dropped Entwistle JBX & PBX in a Yamaha TRBX174? I have an Entwistle Dark Star in a 7-string guitar and love it, and after reading through this thread I'm pretty sure I want to put the J/PBXs in my new bass now, too. But, saw some people mention fitment issues. 

They r quite a deep pickup with the larger magnets but with my bass, after removing the old crappy 30 yr old foam it was fine. I think someone posted the approximate depth of the pickups on this thread if u want to check up front. 

@Iron1

28mm rings a bell for the split-p.

The magnets arent the problem, only 6mm x 6mm. It's the pole pieces are long screws.

Dab of white paint on the bottom of pole pieces, drop in the pickup cavity. Still sink holes for the poles. White paint gives the position of the holes.