Why become a member? ×

Entwistle bass pickups

cachao

I was surprised that, so far, no one has reviewed Entwistle bass pickups, neither the p or the j models.

Alan Entwistle is a UK guitar and pickup designer, who claims over 30 years experience in the field. He has designed pickups both to his specifications, and to those of others, including Chris May of Overwater.

Having recently bought an Overwater/Tanglewood Classic Jazz, I was disappointed by the low output of the pickups compared to a Wizard Thumper that sits in a beat up Aria precision copy. So, I switched the Wizard into the Overwater, and there was an immediate improvement in volume, and overall tone. I guess many of you guys will be familiar with the now sadly defunct Wizard company.

Needing a replacement p pickup for the Aria, and having had good experiences with Entwistles j bass pickups, I purchased an Entwistle p bass pickup. Not one of his ceramic models, but the new PBXN neodymium one. I installed this in the Aria, and the clarity, and output were staggering. Even more so than the Wizard in the Overwater.

For a while I thought this might be due to some qualities of the cheap Aria, the wood, the density...whatever.

Today, I installed the PBXN into the Overwater, and it sings, and growls, all with great depth and clarity. Just like the Aria.

I am going to use it at rehearsal tomorrow, and will feedback further then.

BTW, did I mention the price?

No. About £25. I only have experience of one quality p bass pickup, the Wizard, but most replacement pickups cost a significant sum. I think the PBXN is a bargain, although I may have to get the jazz version now, as the stock Overwater j pickup is overwhelmed, and quietly sobbing by the bridge.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1398336150' post='2433010']
They look very interesting and everyone seems to think highly of them. The price of these things is incredibly low too!
[/quote]

Yes - which makes you think other pups may be a bit overpriced, to say the least. Surely not!! :huh:

I replaced the stock bridge pickup in my Tanglewater Classic J with the Entwistle JBX (I think that's what it's called). I liked the actual sound of the stock J, but found it rather quiet compared to the stock P.

Possibly the best tenner I've spent on bass gear.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just ordered and recieved their Neo magnet PBXN and JBXN but there was a hiccup and got sent a Jazz for neck instead of Jazz for bridge. I've been dealing with Alan's official stockist ( pickupsplus - Simon Twine ) and they're real nice to deal with. Very fast on communication and threw the pups in the post real quick. I had them the next day.

So cannot test them out yet, but man these things weigh a ton. The magnets are incredibly strong too, and from 1.5" away from each other, the Jazz and P were making each other repel.

They're also pretty deep in dimensions - think Dimarzio DP123's - and have yet to find out if they will sit low enough in the pickup routs to get under my low string action. Check the depth on that P pup - its monstrous !

Edited by fleabag

Yeah they are. I contacted the builder Alan Entwistle, and depsite being in China at the time doing business, he replied the next day and put me onto Simon Twine at pickupsplus

Alans website http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?cat=bass

And where to buy from pickups plus http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Entwistle-JBXN-Neodymium-pickup-for-bass-guitar-/231141252091?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item35d1179bfb

I've also mounted the Precision and only had to cut down the foam underneath my other pickup. Good fit too, but havent used it in anger yet,
as Simon has thrown a Bridge Jazz in the post, and will check them both out at the same time

No probs Ben - and if you dont want to use Ebay, here's Simon Twine's email at pickups plus.

[email protected]

Thats how i got mine - Alan Entwistle had forwarded my email to Simon, who contacted me and then after a chat, he sent me a paypal invoice direct. The prices are no different to the Ebay listed one's, so it doesn't matter how you order them

Jeeez - just fired up the bass after installing the bridge pup which arrived today, and the output compared to the Nords is an eye opener. Actually, an ear opener.
The magnets on these are just mental

The lows on the neck pup are delicious, almost piano like, except my strings are not new, but even so, not at all mushy with just the neck wound up ( no bridge pup ) and the tone full on.

The poles are easily height adjustable, but they dont screw up or down as it might look, they just push up or down. Nice touch though - all 8 poles are independantly height adjustable. Did i mention the magnets on these are just plain mental.?

The jazz pup is rich and thick, probably akin to a DP123, but with a tad of extra clarity maybe ( its been a long time since i had a set of DP123's so take with a pinch of salt ) but you could funk all day with the bridge pup. What great values these are !!

PS if you install a set, dont forget to turn your amp down from your last setting

Mild OCD... Should the P pickups be the other way round so that the "Entwistle"is in the top left and the "PBXN" in the bottom right like the Jazz pickup?

Really intrigued by these pickups. They look great! Trying to think of an excuse to install one of them in one of my basses, even though I totally don't need to.

I dont suffer from OCD so it it matters not to me which way round they are., and TBH, it was placed in that way due to how the wiring underneath played ball when making it clear the bottom of the pickup, so i didnt squash wiring when i screwed it down :)

But dammit all sir, they DO sound fab ! My description is probably a little lacking to say the least, but thats all i got :)

Just installed a JBXN to match the PBXN in my Tanglewater. The difference between the stock jazz and the Entwistle is stark. The stock pickup was a snivelling wimp compared to the JBXN, and the two pickups now match beautifully. Power? Got it in spades.

At the price, you really should give them a go. Edited by cachao

[quote name='cachao' timestamp='1400579636' post='2455028']
At the price, you really should give them a go.
[/quote]

Yes, at this price point you don't normally expect all the bells and entwistles....

Seriously though - I've never even heard of these pickups before! At nine quid each for J pickups I might have to give 'em a try...

Pickups that are cheaper than strings?!?!?! How did that happen? :o :D

Edited by Conan

Conan, the neos are about twice the price of the ceramics. I have the jazz ceramics in my old Merica neck thru, and they sound great too.

I wish I knew how to make some pickup surrounds, though.

Edited by cachao

I put a pair in a Washburn when i started playing again and was very impressed, might try one of the neo jazz ones in the bridge position of my jazz with the mm humbucker in the neck position to balance things out a bit. shame he doesnt do any soapbar or mm pups.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1400811048' post='2457228']
You'll be impressed with the neo Jazz bridge pup - the low mids are sublime
[/quote]

Cool! I kind of had my heart set on EMG or Wizards as my replacement set, but I'm seriously inclined to give these a go... :gas: