Why become a member? ×

Guitar shops in NYC area

Kempy535

Rudy's shop is well worth a visit. A few years back I had all but purchased a boutique bass there, but when I turned up to collect it and pay it became apparent that the agreed selling price did not include sales tax, inflating the price considerably. Not sure if this is standard sales practice in NY, so be sure if you are making a purchase that the price being quoted is the full sales price, avoiding any nasty surprises.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1398077081' post='2430091']
Rudy's shop is well worth a visit. A few years back I had all but purchased a boutique bass there, but when I turned up to collect it and pay it became apparent that the agreed selling price did not include sales tax, inflating the price considerably. Not sure if this is standard sales practice in NY, so be sure if you are making a purchase that the price being quoted is the full sales price, avoiding any nasty surprises.
[/quote]
Yes it's normal here in the US
I'm in Orlando ATM

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1398077081' post='2430091']
[/quote]
I was informed by the sales person that if I was to go ahead with the purchase I would be able to get a tax refund at the airport. He was mistaken

Also

If you're made of money and looking for some serious vintage there's Chelsea Guitars right under the Chelsea hotel

http://www.chelseaguitars.com/repairs/

Pretty serious place visited by well known people.

I was taking turns trying out this vintage Jazz with this Aussie stranger when a tramp walked in and started taking to the guy behind the counter.

It was only when me and Aussie left, he asked me did I realise who the trampy bloke was, 'course I didn't....turned out to be Walter Becker (if you're into that).

Edited by Jah Wibble

I've just come back from nyc last week. .. Can't help you on the guitar shop front as I wasn't looking for any but what I can say is wear the most comfortable pair of footwear you can find. .. Be prepared to walk miles and fall into bed shattered. .. And don't waste a second. ..cram it all in. We did a hell of a lot in 4 nights and had an absolute blast

enjoy mate. . You'll love it

• 2 weeks later...

Back from NYC. Only managed to go to Sam Ash and Rudys. Its been a few years since I have been to a music store and i was a little little disappointed with both to be honest. Both shops only had a tiny selection of basses :( Nothing really grabbed my fancy and I found the service in Sam Ash to be really poor. I think ill just stick to buying stuff off of BC

There was much walking to be done :D I feel like we covered a couple of hundred miles by foot. Also all of the taxi drivers were lunatics. Interesting places but I'm not sure I am in any rush to head back there.

talking of nasty surprises.....you may get tagged for import duties when coming into UK, unless you can somehow prove that you already owned the guitar and took it out with you or maybe that it was a gift (no idea if that would work tho).
i think if you can prove that you are exporting the guitar, you shouldn't have to pay the local state sales tax anyway; but I could be wrong about that.

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1399306789' post='2442955']I found the service in Sam Ash to be really poor.

There was much walking to be done :D I feel like we covered a couple of hundred miles by foot. Also all of the taxi drivers were lunatics. Interesting places but I'm not sure I am in any rush to head back there.[/quote]

Welcome to the NYC experience. Shame that Manny's is no more, that was worth a trip all alone.
I went into Times Sq HMV having watched "Dusk Till Dawn" that morning (it was the breakfast TV film :blink:) I asked a uniformed assistant "where do you keep your movie soundtrack CDs please?" to which she replied, with the Jerry Springer hand in the air and the jutted jaw "Do I look like information??".
Also - out for dinner with friends one evening - the waiter came back to the table - TWICE! - to complain his tip wasn't high enough. One section in the guidebook I bought was on "how much to tip & to who"........taxi drivers 20%, your room maid $10 a day & a scale on restaurants depending on how good - or bad the service was (even if it was bad you tip! :lol:) etc. I loved it & enjoyed playing the game.