Why become a member? ×

Bridges

go4mo

Hello !

interested in hearing about your experience with bridge selection

i would like more sustain - clarity - without compromising warmth and body.

thinking brass/chrome is the idea.

about to swap out the stock bridge on my fender jaguar modern player - looking at either the schaller 4 roller, or the hipshot A (although i do believe some neck shimming imminent with the later, so, .. most likely not ..)

comments?

cheers
mo

• 7 months later...

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1418820215' post='2633629']
I like the build quality and components on the Gotoh bridges.
I've used Gotoh and Badass on some of my Fenders.

There will be many who disagree but I think the Badass is overated and overly expensive.
[/quote] This and I have tried many bridges and always have gone back to the good old BBOT as they say if it ain't broke don't fix it

• 1 year later...

I have just replaced the BBOT bridge on my Custom Shop '64 Jazz as I was having trouble with losing the sound of my G and D strings in the mix. I replaced it with a Hipshot A style bridge and I have to say it has made a real difference both to the sustain (much, much improved) and the articulation, definition and presence of the notes in the higher register are far, far better. It is a very easy modification to carry out (let's face it, I managed to do it!) and worth every penny.

It was very much a leap of faith but I would recommend it to anyone.

• 4 years later...
A question about my Epiphone t bird i changed to a hipshot super tone bridge and the reason i changed was the original 3 point bridge was pulling one of the studs that held it clean out of the bass? so i stripped the 3 point off and glued the ferrel back in using gorilla super glue, after leaving overnight i put the hipshot in and bolted it down, after restringing the bass i noticed the action was really high so i started adjusting until the saddles bottomed out and the action was still way too high? i couldn't believe it i thought the hipshot would solve my problem with high action? pretty expensive to be mucking around like this tbh not happy so i had two options mill some off the bottom of the bridge (didnt fancy) or shim the neck, i decided to shim the neck using business cards i released the neck and started with one card and it was better, but there was still no adjustment on the saddles so i installed another card and at last i had adjustment but i had to lift the saddles right up to set the action? after setting a nice action with no fret buzz, i tuned to concert and both posts suddenly pulled out of the guitar? why do these posts pull out? grrr, i love the sound of this guitar but i doubt i will ever have the pleasure of gigging it, with all this going on, can anybody explain where i went wrong?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure this is the right place but  NBD new bridge day to me anyway.

Found a pro bass player clearing out his drawer on Gumtree. He does some setup work for guys in London and he had about 6x 5 string bridges all quite fancy for around 25-35  and 3x4 string vintage style bridges for £5 each which I bought as he is only 6 miles from me.

I rather like em and will find a home for sure for the brass one.16752648063101122978881317518995.thumb.jpg.a8783273de5753675b80121f8bf63453.jpg

I always loved the classic Fender folded bridge. So simple , and easy to adjust. Leo had a knack for making things that were easy to adjust , unlike some other manufacturers. They were also simple and cheap to make.

Genius.

And yet recently took a metal adjustable bridge off a Danelectro and replaced it with a popsicle stick. The wooden Dano bridge sounds better , and there is a sweet spot for it!

Also went the other way and replaced several 3point style bridges with Hipshots.

I’ve been suffering some bridge madness.