Why become a member? ×

My local cash converters

My local cash converter seems to have some quite reasonably priced budget instruments. Currently they have a Hohner Arbor bass with P and MM pickups. Not a high level instrument, but it seemed to have a nice action and looked usable, and worth the £45 it is being sold for I would think.

There was also a Benson P bass for £20. I considered buying it to have a go at hacking with it by refinishing it and defretting it, but after checking, it's not clear that the truss rod is functioning correctly.

I've never been sure about buying from pawn shops, but this one seems to have some interesting inexpensive things in there.

In the old days before everyone was 'web savvy' you could get some real bargains in those type of places....

Now everyone is clued up on how much stuff is worth...Even charity shops ask market value for the more interesting things..

I remember my brother buying a cheap camera..... with a Leica summicron lens screwed on it !!!.....He was a happy man .....

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1397843450' ]
and a lot of hygienically Challenged people!

[/quote]
Sat next to a local one of those on a bus the other week. 35 minutes bus journey. Had to wash all my clothes, take a shower and wash the INSIDE of my nose to get rid of the whiff!
Awakes my inner snob..

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1397843900' post='2427942']

Sat next to a local one of those on a bus the other week. [/quote]

Well there is your problem right there! If you use Peckham Chauffeurs (Bus drivers) for your transport you are bound to catch all sorts of nasty things from the assembled masses. I've even had to ban the staff from going on public transport less they bring those nasty bugs or smells onto the estate.

My local Cash Converter type of shop had an unexpected bargain a while back. It was a Logan String Melody that the staff thought was a broken home organ since it didn't make a very organ like sound. I guess it was obscure enough that they hadn't been able to find one on eBay to check it's true value. I walked away with it for under a ton. Got outside the shop and did a spontaneous jig with delight, turned and saw a bunch of people at a bus stop giving me a funny look ...

Although I've not been near for a while, our local shop is usually more expensive than to buy new, I've seen Squire Affinities in there for £200. They also stock a lot of cheaper end fender copies etc that they want £150 for. Most of which you'd be sick if you found. They manage to flog iPhones that look like they've been run over and tv's that are half the price new at Curry's.

There are a lot of track suit wearers in there too. They never seem to buy anything though?

My local Crack Converters were trying to sell a rebadged squire pbass as a jap fender. When I pointed out the fake decal the guy went white. Seemingly the week before he bought in an American strat for £500 and tried to sell it for £650 before it was found to be a very clever fake. The singer in my band got it for £40 from the guitar shop down the street that offloads the "mistakes"

[quote name='Davetbass' timestamp='1397912791' post='2428540']
I have a morbid fascination with the place...

You can't beat a 70 year old woman dressed as Eminem or the classic shiny, red trackie bottoms with black slip on shoe combo👌
[/quote]

Me too ..... I always pop in to browse . I am sure one day i will find a 1962 fender jazz that has been re badged as a squire with a £145 price tag -:)

I am a bit obsessed with my local, pop in every week.
You just never know what you will find!

They do usually try it on by charging too much at first but give it a couple of months and the price steadily drops.
You have to play the waiting game and pounce at the right time before somebody else does.

I bought an ESP LTD D-4 there last week for £210, absolutely mint condition, like new.

But yes, they are awash with crap instruments that make me sad.

You just reminded me ,a few yrs ago. My brother bought an Swr workingman 10 for £70 .. I was asked if i wanted to put an offer on a mint condition 70s looking Peavey bass that they had for ages.. I didn't know what i was looking at so declined . Anyway it weighed 4 tons..... They had it up for £240 .. I saw the same bass(not the actual one) on Andy Baxters site for £550 ..... Gutted - :(

Edit...just checked it was a peavey t40

Edited by Ktmman

[quote name='Davetbass' timestamp='1397912791' post='2428540']
I have a morbid fascination with the place...

You can't beat a 70 year old woman dressed as Eminem or the classic shiny, red trackie bottoms with black slip on shoe combo
[/quote]

How much did they want for her?

[quote name='wotsy' timestamp='1398041780' post='2429850']
I've seen a Cort gb34a in Cash G for 105 quid, which seems quite cheap to others I've seen advertised on the internet, does anyone know if it's a good price and if it's a decent bass please?
[/quote]

Good evening, wotsy, and welcome to the forum...

Assuming it's in good general condition, with nothing broken, I'd suggest that that's a pretty good price for a pretty decent bass.We have had a similar bass (5-string version...) for several years now, and it's been played on a very prestigious stage by a top player (his own bass was busted, so we lent him our Cort...). He was well pleased, and 10,000 festival-goers couldn't tell the difference. It's not a Musicman, nor a Jazz, but has enough character of its own. Nicely built, good value for money.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1398043643' post='2429854']
Good evening, wotsy, and welcome to the forum...

Assuming it's in good general condition, with nothing broken, I'd suggest that that's a pretty good price for a pretty decent bass.We have had a similar bass (5-string version...) for several years now, and it's been played on a very prestigious stage by a top player (his own bass was busted, so we lent him our Cort...). He was well pleased, and 10,000 festival-goers couldn't tell the difference. It's not a Musicman, nor a Jazz, but has enough character of its own. Nicely built, good value for money.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, that does help, I'm looking at a couple of basses this week but if they fall through I'll check it out closer if it's still there, nice one. :)