Why become a member? ×

Best shops in London

libertino

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1397670931' post='2426346']
I know the internet is killing the High Street etc, but truthfully, try stuff out in stores and get it cheaper online. In this day and age, I'd never buy anything from Denmark Street.
P
[/quote]

Then once the shops close down as the internet has nicked all their trade where are you going to try stuff out?

Wunjo are pretty competitive on pricing - don't believe the ticket price, and they're great people in there.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1397671760' post='2426364']

Then once the shops close down as the internet has nicked all their trade where are you going to try stuff out?

Wunjo are pretty competitive on pricing - don't believe the ticket price, and they're great people in there.
[/quote]

The online shops will have to have a returns policy. Basically a 7 day trial. It's the way the market is now.

It's possible that any shop after your custom will price match or even better an online price - you're able to talk directly to the person selling the amp; it might need to be the manager but you might get a really good deal (having seen this done with electronics gear on The Gadget Show).

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1397670931' post='2426346']
I know the internet is killing the High Street etc, but truthfully, try stuff out in stores and get it cheaper online. In this day and age, I'd never buy anything from Denmark Street.
P
[/quote]

This is the mistake most people make. The really clever customers try stuff in the shop and ask the shop to match/beat an Internet price. 9 times out of 10, they get a better deal.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397673558' post='2426385']
The online shops will have to have a returns policy. Basically a 7 day trial. It's the way the market is now.
[/quote]

And then the online retailers go out of business because they are shipping and returning so much gear (which they then have to sell as returns or B Stock) or alternatively, prices will start to rise.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1397677672' post='2426457']

And then the online retailers go out of business because they are shipping and returning so much gear (which they then have to sell as returns or B Stock) or alternatively, prices will start to rise.
[/quote]

Possibly so! Not really our issue to worry about.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1397675082' post='2426412']
This is the mistake most people make. The really clever customers try stuff in the shop and ask the shop to match/beat an Internet price. 9 times out of 10, they get a better deal.
[/quote]

Last bass I bought in a shop? Warwick Streamer, Bass Centre, Wapping (yes, [i]that[/i] long ago). Last amp? I think it was an Ashdown Mag combo, also a looooong time ago. Everything else has been blind purchases; I kind of know what I wanted and I've shopped around. I have a ton of gear. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1397671760' post='2426364']

[/quote]

Went to the Wunjo bass shop two weeks ago, great guys in there, great atmosphere and service and they were more than willing to do a deal on the basses I was looking at. They also told me they compete with online prices, I would definitely go there and will be buying from them in the future.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1397686412' post='2426593']
It will be when you can't feed your GAS any more because there aren't any retail businesses left. . .
[/quote]

I'm quite lucky to not really be thinking of anything else apart from the easy to order brands. I've tried a few more expensive brands and just didn't bond so well. A shame but it's just the way it is. If it isn't a Musicman or a decent Fender (a little more difficult to pick out!) I usually forget about it.

Luckily they are pretty easy to get hold of, and as local stores I've tried are fairly expensive, I always use online/mail order now. I even bought a decent guitar pedal through Amazon the other day. Factory sealed, cheapest price online, superb service and returns (although I'm keeping it). I've even seen quite expensive bass pedals on Amazon recently.

I never suspected the market would turn out like this but as Bass Gear and Bass Direct are a good distance from me, and work is manic, I don't get time to travel to try gear and try new things. I'd also need a hotel so it wouldn't be a cheap trip.

If I were down near those stores or close id use them more, without a doubt.

One example - I pop to a local store, they are very helpful and friendly. I ask about a Fender P bass, nothing unusual, white/tort/rosewood. Its special order. I can't send it back unless there is a major fault, and if there is, they will just try fix it. Now, I want to use this place as they are genuinely nice guys, but the risk that comes along with isn't worth it. I would have to wait, inspect it in store, (under pressure as well, I don't like that) then get the bass home. A Fender P is not a rare/expensive instrument, lets face it, they are readily available.

What are the options? Buy it online/mailorder and if the bass isn't great, (not all Fenders are) then you don't have to worry.

I would really like to try a Carvin. If I like it, I would order one, but I can't locally/within the area.

This isn't just musical instruments. It's across a lot of industries. I buy half my new clothes off ASOS...superb service and price.

Who knows what will happen over the next few years.

Edited by Musicman20

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I didn't realise my idea of going to a shop was such a divisive subject! For what it's worth, I do sometimes succumb to buying some things online (accessories mainly), but always prefer to make big purchases in a store, for the pre- and after- sales service. And also small purchases like picks and strings, because what's 50p difference, especially if you've enjoyed a browse and play on some instruments.

Great if you're always stocked up but when you break a string or snap your last pick on the day of a gig, the internet's not going to help you!

Bass Gallery and Wunjo are both fairly near to me so I'll have a look in both, thanks for the suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Just to update on this, had a great experience at The Bass Gallery this week.

Took my Jazz in for a setup, and my Stingray for an electronics fix. The guys (Martin and John) couldn't have been more helpful! They did a fantastic job on both, for a great price, and we had a long chat about all things bass! :)

Amazingly, despite having lived in London for six years now (and in Camden borough for one and a half) I had never heard much about, nor was particularly aware of the existence of The Bass Gallery! Will go there all the time now though, and all the beautiful basses! Good lord...Like a kid in a sweetshop! :o

Agreed, I think what separates the Gallery from other shops if been to London is having Martin and John on site. When you need something done with a bass you can call in and go down stairs to the workshop and talk to the guys that know. When it's time to collect it, they show what the've done and invite you to plug in and try it out. They have done some outstanding work for me over the years, all at very reasonable prices.
None of this 'leave it with me and my tech will collect it next week'.

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1403602459' post='2484258']
Agreed, I think what separates the Gallery from other shops if been to London is having Martin and John on site. When you need something done with a bass you can call in and go down stairs to the workshop and talk to the guys that know. When it's time to collect it, they show what the've done and invite you to plug in and try it out. They have done some outstanding work for me over the years, all at very reasonable prices.
None of this 'leave it with me and my tech will collect it next week'.
[/quote]

The exact opposite of my experience with them! I left a bass with them for a setup when Martin wasn't there, didn't hear anything for over a week. when I called for an update they said they hadn't touched it as they didn't know what I wanted them to do to it - despit my leaving written instructions :blink:

Reports are very variable - some people find them helpful and friendly, others (like myself) have had nothing but bad experiences. I won't go into too much detail as I've said it all beofre and someone invariable jumps on me for being a trouble maker, or worse, a liar.

As for the OP, I have in the past asked the Gallery to price match and have been met with point blank refusal.

Gallery have priced matched an Aguilar cab, which, iirc, was very very competively priced, but there needs to be give and take.
For the convenience of having a central London shop, you will expect the cost of that to be passed on in some form.
I'd far rather call them and see what they can do than go to an online store and I can't for the life of me work out
how people can buy a bass NEW online without playing and seeing it. This is asking for trouble, IMO...but if you want to go to the hassle
of returning the thing and there may be a cost to that as well...

Me, I would rather drive 2 and half hours to Twyford after I have given them a quick call about what I am after... and see and hear
it for myself. That extra effort will be worth it as I will get exactly what I want ( as I've demoed it ) and I don't sell the gear for a loss
a few months later because I didn't do enough research or wasn't quite sure in the first place..

For this reason, I don't feel the need to go the Gallery ..though, of course, I would, if they had what I wanted.
Both shops ( BassGear and The Gallery ) are great, as are GAK and I like Andetons as well.

IMV, you need these outlets to see and hear your gear and you really REALLY don't want to see them disappear

+1 Wunjo Bass on Denmark St.

Went in to buy a bargain basement Squier P as a backup, had a nice chat. Working in luxury retail myself I really value people going out of their way to make you feel comfortable in what many people see as an intimidating atmosphere. Point in case: the first thing they said as I came through the door (besides hello...) Was 'if you want to try anything out, just yell...'

So I had my first ever go on a Rickenbacker even though I was only spending £150. They must get that about 10 times a day and you'd never have guessed.

True gents, great service, I'd rather keep them in a job than someone with a spreadsheet for an online retailer.