Why become a member? ×

Anybody know much about this Status?

karlfer

Reserves on eBay really does annoy me, why not just put it as the starting bid? Even more confusing is i think there is a 3.5% insertion fee for having a reserve, assuming his reserve is best part of a grand (as suggested by his hundreds saving on a new custom one) that is £35 just for insertion. Fee for having a starting bid greater than £100 is £1.30. Seems a bit of a no brainier to me. Unless i've completely misunderstood their fees policy. Anyway rant over, it is a nice looking beast.

Does anyone understand the point of a secret reserve? I've never understood why sellers set them, or why, when asked, they won't disclose. Having bought & sold (highly successfully) on Ebay for years, I've never understood the point of this practice, & obviously never done it.

From what I've observed previously, I won't be surprised if this bass doesn't even reach its mysterious - and likely eye-watering - reserve. A lovely bass but the reserve would put me off in a big way.

Jon.

I don't get the reserve thing either. It would make sense if someone bid high enough so that their bid went automatically past the reserve (i.e. if the reserve was £100 and you bid more than that it would automatically bid you up to £100) but it doesn't seem to work like that. There have been several times when I've finished as the highest bidder with my maximum bid much higher than the final price but the item still hasn't made the reserve.

With the number of free listing opportunities on eBay these days there's nothing stopping you from starting at the minimum price you want for an item. I've sold lots of stuff on eBay and have yet to pay a penny in listing fees.

Edited by BigRedX

I have a Retroactive J. It's not a T-Bass, as it doesn't have the "Ergonomic tuning system". It's more like a Super J, with graphite neck, streamlined body and active electronics. Status did the J and a P as well in the early 2000s.

FWIW I don't think they are building this model anymore unless you ask really nicely!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397738606' post='2426964']
I don't get the reserve thing either. It would make sense if someone bid high enough so that their bid went automatically past the reserve (i.e. if the reserve was £100 and you bid more than that it would automatically bid you up to £100) but it doesn't seem to work like that. There have been several times when I've finished as the highest bidder with my maximum bid much higher than the final price but the item still hasn't made the reserve.
[/quote]

Then you didn't bid enough to get over the reserve. It works exactly like that.

[url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/reserve-price.html"]http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/reserve-price.html[/url]

"If your maximum bid is the first to meet or exceed the reserve price, the effective bid displayed will automatically be raised to the reserve price."

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1398016395' post='2429582']
Then you didn't bid enough to get over the reserve. It works exactly like that.

[url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/reserve-price.html"]http://pages.ebay.co...erve-price.html[/url]

"If your maximum bid is the first to meet or exceed the reserve price, the effective bid displayed will automatically be raised to the reserve price."
[/quote]

Well in that case the reserve must have been set unfeasibly high...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1398270037' post='2432315']
Good work! They are cracking basses, if I ever consider selling mine please shoot me :)
[/quote]
Just got the kids to bed and had a little play for the first time , and it's just a lovely bass . Was after a high end jazz keeper , and in my mind it's up there with the real top stuff , for a fraction of the cost .