Why become a member? ×

Zon Sonus TJ5
£2200

JimJammSpaceMan

[color=#ff0000][size=6]THIS BASS IS NOW SOLD[/size][/color]

Hello.

Here are the specs for my beloved Zon that, along with my '74 Precision going up later today, I am reluctantly having to sell:

- Zon Sonus Todd Johnson Signature
- 5-string
- 34" scale
- 17.5 mm string spacing
- Spalted alder body (absolutely goregous in the flesh: looks like burnished gold)
- Figured black redwood burl top with matching h/stock
- Bubinga tone plate
- Bartolini soapbar pups
- Zon's Polyfusion TJ3 band preamp
- Side front facing dots
- Phenowood fingerboard
- Ramp installed down at the Gallery in London
- Zon hardcase (not pictured)

Sonically and visually speaking this is a stunning instrument. It has a piano-like quality to its sound: the lows are crisp and defined, not flabby or muddy, the mids growl like a snarling, hungry dog, and the highs sing mellifluously like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music.

I have used this bass live, on recordings and in theatre work and it has served me well in each setting.

If you would like more pictures then just ask and I can send some more your way.

I am looking for money only (unfortunately I am [b]NOT[/b] looking for trades). Bank transfer would be ideal although I am willing to talk with potential buyers about a payment method that works for them. I am based in Leeds and would welcome local pickup, or I am willing to travel to potential buyers (within reason). If the bass needs to be shipped then I am willing to split the cost of the shipping with the buyer.

Any questions then please just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by JimJammSpaceMan

I had the pleasure of studying briefly with Todd Johnson a few years ago, and he let me play his bass. These are amongst the best basses you'll find anywhere.

Pity this isn't a 6 string otherwise I'd be straight on the train up to Leeds :) .

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1397306295' post='2422643']
I had the pleasure of studying briefly with Todd Johnson a few years ago, and he let me play his bass. These are amongst the best basses you'll find anywhere.

Pity this isn't a 6 string otherwise I'd be straight on the train up to Leeds :) .
[/quote]

It genuinely is one of the nicest basses I've played. It has a clarity to it that's even across the whole range of the instrument, something the you rarely find in other basses.

Playing with Todd must have been quite an experience!

Sure Op doesn't mind me posting a link to where he got it, some really nice pictures in the thread!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-zon-sonus-todd-johnson-5-string-rare-woods-754674/

Very tempted by this?!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1397309352' post='2422689']
Sure Op doesn't mind me posting a link to where he got it, some really nice pictures in the thread!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-zon-sonus-todd-johnson-5-string-rare-woods-754674/"]http://www.talkbass....e-woods-754674/[/url]

Very tempted by this?!
[/quote] when you come up to Leeds to buy this come over mine after to try my warwicksI can have a shot on this!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1397309352' post='2422689']

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-zon-sonus-todd-johnson-5-string-rare-woods-754674/"]http://www.talkbass....e-woods-754674/[/url]

Very tempted by this?!
[/quote]

Not at all: I was going to post myself, but I wanted to show some shots of it in the flesh, as it were, rather than the studio quality shots shown in the original post linked here. The thing I've not really been able to get across entirely is just how nice the spalted alder looks like up close: I described it as not dissimilar in appearance to burnished gold and I think that description is pretty accurate.

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1397321522' post='2422823']
I've played this bass several times and it's one of the nicest basses I've ever played. It sounds incredible and the set up is superb. It really is a fantastic instrument and Jamie is a top guy to deal with and has really looked after it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, Geoff. It really is a wonderful bass and I hope that it can go on to give another lucky owner the same pleasure that it's given me.

These high end Zons are quite simply some of the best instruments I've ever played and the cost of them has risen considerably over the last 2-3 years.

I'd estimate the wait time would be 18 months plus for a new one too!

This also has to be one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1397384702' post='2423352']
These high end Zons are quite simply some of the best instruments I've ever played and the cost of them has risen considerably over the last 2-3 years.

I'd estimate the wait time would be 18 months plus for a new one too!

This also has to be one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, Barrie. Yes, I've managed to play a few over the last two or three years and they are just wonderful instruments. They are also really pretty instruments and this one is certainly no exception.

Edited by JimJammSpaceMan