Why become a member? ×

Anybody tired of the bass guitar merry-go-round ?

Black Coffee

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1397211073' post='2421787']
...If we could, the majority of us would be doing it with everything, jobs, cars, women...
it's just that with most of those, certainly as we get older we can't.
[/quote]

Especially women. :(

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1397164804' post='2421481']
After years of choppin n changing and thousands of quid spent and traded.

I think I'm finally tired and bored and wana settle on something.

The grass sometimes was definitely not greener on the other side with some basses and I have many regrets of ones that got away. And then there's the money that is harder to earn, and doesn't buy as much as it used to; and you near have to give stuff away to sell it quickly now.
[/quote]
Materialistic purchase is an [i]addiction[/i]...i.e. there is a definite, short term high following the acquisition of a new "item" (bass).

But here's the thing...as with any addiction the high doesn't last and the subsequent "come down" leaves the addict with a desire to [i]recapture the high.[/i] To compound this[i] the law of diminishing returns is at work[/i]...the high [i]weakens [/i]after each hit (purchase)...leaving the addict forever seeking the same high that the original hit provided!

A word to the wise...this site is populated by and large by bass purchase addicts.

It's almost as if the central, most important core of the activity ....the human being interaction of playing the instrument to make music...is of no importance!

Don't believe me? Compare the amount of gear related posts to playing tip inquiries on bass chat..........

Edited by White Cloud

I don't understand the relentless drive to constantly flip basses. I've got a P and a J, and a few others. The P was my only real bass for about thirty years. I don't need to rent everything available for a few months at a time. I buy instruments with the intent to never sell them, and in fact have only sold two in my life.

I've known guitarists who think a different guitar will make them a better player. This is an illusion.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1397208405' post='2421743']
As for the 'happiness is a warm P' thing, I've never understood that. Don't get me wrong - I love Precisions, and learned to play on a Fender USA P. But over the years I have always found them far too limited to cover all of the different kinds of music I want to play. Try playing Chic's 'Good Times' on a P - it sounds terrible!

Conversely, I've never understood why Stingrays are always thought of as a 'one-trick pony'. I think Rays are far more versatile than Ps - in fact, if I was only allowed to have one bass I would probably go for a Ray. But of course YMMV.
[/quote]

We agree on this. I love P basses having learnt on a P style bass for years, and growing up with them.

However, they can get a little bit boring. A few years back or more, everyone was 'superjazz' and was yearning for an expensive boutique active jazz. That is still there, but P basses are very much 'it' at the moment, (although they have never been unpopular, its just they are VERY popular at the moment).

The thing that I can't understand personally is the super expensive boutique P basses. Just buy a Fender/similar and be done. You don't need to spend £3000 on a very simple design which may still not sound like a P should.

Ray's are my favourite basses of all time, and always will be. Style, comfort, kicking tone, excellent build quality.

I have a simple way of solving the 'one that got away problem'.... I just don't sell anything. I'm a bit of a hoarder really. I'm really starting to motor on the 'expanding my bass collection' idea, so something is going to break (probably my bank balance... eeek)

I feel I need to look for something new, I've never been bitten by the bass bug like I did with guitars. Haven't a clue what thought.

My first bass was a MIA Custom P - It's a fine piece of machinery and everything I play is compared to that.
I bought a backup bass in the name of a one of those VM Jazz basses - I enjoy playing that too as it gives that different sound.

I play DB now because I bought a MIM Fretless Jazz and loved it - barely play it now mind. I've played stuff in shops and what-not and thought it played nice etc. it's never through my gear etc. so I'm more inclined to put it back on the shelf.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1397211521' post='2421798']

Materialistic purchase is an [i]addiction[/i]...i.e. there is a definite, short term high following the acquisition of a new "item" (bass).

But here's the thing...as with any addiction the high doesn't last and the subsequent "come down" leaves the addict with a desire to [i]recapture the high.[/i] To compound this[i] the law of diminishing returns is at work[/i]...the high [i]weakens [/i]after each hit (purchase)...leaving the addict forever seeking the same high that the original hit provided!

A word to the wise...this site is populated by and large by bass purchase addicts.

It's almost as if the central, most important core of the activity ....the human being interaction of playing the instrument to make music...is of no importance!

Don't believe me? Compare the amount of gear related posts to playing tip inquiries on bass chat..........
[/quote]

Hard to disagree with this.

I think I'd better find a group and talk about my problem.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397212030' post='2421807']
The thing that I can't understand personally is the super expensive boutique P basses. Just buy a Fender/similar and be done. You don't need to spend £3000 on a very simple design which may still not sound like a P should.
[/quote]

I would have agreed in principle, but in practice, only very few Precisions that come out of Corona or even Fullerton are equal to their more expensive counterparts. The obvious counter is "why should they be?". Fender are a mass market brand and their products share many characteristics with mass market consumer products everywhere, a compromise between quality and price (anyone who's ever put together a project Precision for about £150 and found it not hugely different to a £1000 Fender will understand what I'm saying). Whilst I have a strong sentimental tie to Fender Precisions, they are the bass that defined bass, they are on literally thousands of tracks I love, and are played by players I respect, I've always found even the best examples - and I've played and owned a few - a little wanting in plug and play terms.

However, a Precision will always be my go to bass, and if I could find a Fender I find as playable and as toneful as my Yamaha - a far more expensive Precision - I'd be all over it like a rash!

[/quote]

I think this is spot on.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1397216560' post='2421867']
However, a Precision will always be my go to bass, and if I could find a Fender I find as playable and as toneful as my Yamaha - a far more expensive Precision - I'd be all over it like a rash!
[/quote]

The Yamaha's are lovely!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397218717' post='2421892']

The Yamaha's are lovely!
[/quote]

The yamaha BB2025 basses are absolutely beautiful but i think they are 19mm spacing and I can't get on with that as well as smaller spacing. The BB1025's aren't too shabby either.

Here I go again....

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1397164804' post='2421481']
After years of choppin n changing and thousands of quid spent and traded.

I think I'm finally tired and bored and wana settle on something.

The grass sometimes was definitely not greener on the other side with some basses and I have many regrets of ones that got away. And then there's the money that is harder to earn, and doesn't buy as much as it used to; and you near have to give stuff away to sell it quickly now.

Anybody else feel fed up with it or am I just getting old?
[/quote]

Be glad that you've tried a lot and (hopefully) found out what works for you and what doesn't.

Then go custom. ;)

[/quote]

To be fair, it's also populated by drug addicts and alcoholics... ;)

Compare the amount of gear related posts to playing tip inquiries on bass chat...
[/quote]

Tru dat. Page after page of tech stuff and GAS-related posts, but not much about actual [i]playing[/i]. Look at the low turnout for the monthly Composition Challenge - you'd think that listening to and discussing other members' music would be top priority, but it isn't.

Are we musicians or consumers? Probably both - and more the latter if anything. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397221897' post='2421945']
Tru dat. Page after page of tech stuff and GAS-related posts, but not much about actual [i]playing[/i]. Look at the low turnout for the monthly Composition Challenge - you'd think that listening to and discussing other members' music would be top priority, but it isn't.
[/quote]
...you sir, are on the money!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1397225520' post='2421992']
I don't have this problem with basses, since I exclusively play peaveys... only strings so it's a bit cheaper :lol:
[/quote]

A five string peavey grind is the bass I owned the longest. Lovely piece of kit.
Simple, heavy, solid and bombproof. Looks pretty cool with the mahogany and maple I think it was

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1397234115' post='2422115']
A five string peavey grind is the bass I owned the longest. Lovely piece of kit.
Simple, heavy, solid and bombproof. Looks pretty cool with the mahogany and maple I think it was
[/quote]

Absolutely, I've got a couple of Grinds! The Newer ones are also available in black, and I'm sure the upper mids are a bit punchier!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397221897' post='2421945']
Tru dat. Page after page of tech stuff and GAS-related posts, but not much about actual [i]playing[/i].
Are we musicians or consumers? Probably both - and more the latter if anything. :)
[/quote]

They're bass guitars, there's not much that can be said here about playing them that hasn't already been said here a thousand times. This forum is far more about buying and selling (an ranting in OT) than about musicianship, always has been. Nothing wrong with that, if it didn't have FS and OT it would probably have less than 1000 members, about 100 of them regular posters :)

Dear holier-than-thou P bass club,

Just stop it, please. By "it" I mean the whole "a P bass is all you need" thing. Not everyone here believes it's as inevitable as dying you know. Last time I checked, Church of Precision Bass wasn't a recognised religion, guys.

I'll be going through the Pearly Gates playing my RD, ta. Y'know, after my death by stoning.

Lots of love,
Your favourite Gibson bass playing freak.

;)

Edited by neepheid

This is such a great topic, so thank you to the OP.

I've been thinking [u][b]a lot[/b][/u] about this recently. A few years back I was completely settled with my collection, but then I had to sell most of it to put down a deposit on a flat purchase. I let go of amazing basses, including 2 pre CBS basses which I had taken a lot of time to ensure were excellent examples, but the reality was to get on the property ladder so I was cool with letting them go to get out of 16 years of flat sharing.

I ended up left with a Music Man Sterling, which I wasn't that into, so I put a Precision pickup in it, but I was still not happy.

Luckily in the last year I've been able to buy some lovely guitars again and I have been waiting for the ones that 'settle', just like my old collection did.

If i can find a bass that I can't fault (in terms of how it suits my style), then it stays. But if I get a re-occurring niggle then no matter how much I like the bass, it has to go for one that I'm enjoying more than questioning.

After a solid year of going through some great basses, I reckon I'm pretty much there now. This collection won't be as good as my previous in some ways, but it wil be equal in that I have some excellent basses which I don't question or critique, just simply love owning.

For me that's the key, to have a few basses that suit me and also suit all the styles I like.

Edited by Chiliwailer

I think if i had the money to buy the instruments i wanted it would initially be great to start collecting them.....but in reality unless you can have 1000's of pounds of basses sitting around doing nothing most of the time then it's great.

The best bass that i have had and loved playing todate was an old early Squier JB so not expensive at all which i sold when i was skint :-(

I'd love a Ricky but don't have the £'s so have just carried on with my old Ibanez and a Vintage that i have.....in the scale of things they are no means top drawer examples of the instrument but are both quite playable for me at my level.

But if i win the lottery....watch this space lol

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1397305880' post='2422638']
I think if i had the money to buy the instruments i wanted it would initially be great to start collecting them.....but in reality unless you can have 1000's of pounds of basses sitting around doing nothing most of the time then it's great.

But if i win the lottery....watch this space lol
[/quote]

True......either that or become a test pilot for fodera or something you love - if you don't love fodera.....