Why become a member? ×

Left-Handed Horror Stories

mcarp555

I would have thought it would be an advantage for a right-handed teacher to teach a left handed player, because they could sit facing and simply copy the hand position, techniques etc etc.

I am left handed but do a few things (knife and fork eating, for example) right handed. When it came to guitars, I tried both ways on a right handed instrument and chose right handed becaue it felt more comfortable. I did play the drums for a little while and I did that right-handed too. Apparently on drums, there is a distinct advantage for a left hander playing right handed since they can do more complex stuff on the snare etc. I got my own back eventually though - I can now play the French horn left-handed too (think about it....)

Another advantage is if ever someone asks you to play golf, you can say "I can't, I'm left handed".

As mentioned in my other posts; I'm left handed but play right handed - I've never tried to play left handed. So, out of interest, I had a go today by simply turning my right handed bass upside down and using my right hand on the frets. I was all over the place! I could hardly hold the instrument and had very little success at getting any notes out of it at all. It looks like this lefty is staying right-on when bass playing!

• 1 year later...

I got the "oh, you should learn right handed, you'll have an advantage, blah blah dominant hand" crap early on too - luckily,  I could see it was bollocks so it didn't put me off. 

The one that really made me angry recently was a video on ebay with a moron from the US who claims to prove "there's no such thing as a left handed guitar" by doing a series of mundane things with his left hand (writing, scissors, and such), then playing a right handed guitar. I was tempted to do a reply video showing me using scissors. Well, I'm very left handed and do everything else with my left hand, but scissors I can only use in  my right hand. THus proving - by his logic - that there's no such thing as left handed scissors. The prick. 

My paternal grandfather was left handed, but wrote equally well with both hands. Habitually he reached for a pen with his right hand first, because they beat that into him in school in the 20s -even though he did everything else left handed, that became habit. I was lucky - I had a backward pre-school teacher who cracked me over the knuckles for lifting a pen with my left, but it never beat me. That and an idiot craft teacher when I was fifteen who invited the class to laugh at the awkward stance I took to use the tools that were provided and set out exclusively for right handers - that would have been late eighties. I got off lightly, really, but I'm very militant about left handedness, to the point where I feel a bit sold out by lefties who choose to play righty. ;) 

• Like 1

On 27/09/2018 at 20:37, EdwardMarlowe said:

I got off lightly, really, but I'm very militant about left handedness, to the point where I feel a bit sold out by lefties who choose to play righty. ;) 

How do you feel about someone who is totally right handed playing guitar left handed?

The ONLY thing I do left handed is play guitar....... 👀