Why become a member? ×

Appearance of you and band on stage - clothing opinions?

Diablo

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1397134798' post='2421004']
[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/NakedGuitars.jpg.html"][/url]

OR

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/KissGoneWrong.jpg.html"][/url]

Decisions, decisions ...
[/quote]

The weird thing is the metal band are trying their best to look scary but end up looking ridiculous, the other guys.... Genuinely scary!

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1397130047' post='2420944']
I quite like having a 'band uniform' - when I put my gig gear on it's like I'm getting ready for business.

I also think it's good for a band to stand out a bit from their audience - get noticed and all that.
[/quote]

This is the way we do it. We don`t dress outlandishly or anything, but because we all dress roughly the same we have an identity.

Jeans, and Black (music, or biking for the shed builder, oriented usually) T Shirts. ---Classic Rock Band

Don't think we'd manage much else

Half the band complained about the Santa Hats for a 21st Dec gig

Edited by CHW

For the wedding/function band, it's suits and we have branded polos/caps/fleeces for the load-in and out. If we're playing a pub, it's more relaxed, but I tend to wear the polo at least when setting up, and change for the gig.

It depends on the organisation of the gig to an extent - if you're just turning up with a bass to plug in and go, then as BRX says, dress to impress on the way in. But you'd look a bit daft manhandling the PA upstairs in stack heels or looking for an iffy XLR connection in sunglasses...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397125068' post='2420851']The Terrortones always turn up to gigs in what we'll be wearing on stage. It makes an impression when we walk into the venue.

TBH we all dress in a slightly toned-down version of our stage wear in our day to day lives...
[/quote]
^This^

I like a band to make an effort, even if your look is looking like you haven't. I don't care if it's punk, country, whatever the genre - put on a show

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1397159279' post='2421371']
A guitarist I know plays Gretsch, Burns Bison, Danelectro etc style guitars, and his rule when shopping for clothes is [i]'it has to match my guitars'[/i]

He has the most impeccable dress sense.
[/quote]

Get him to wear a US Army uniform with his Dano, if it's good enough for Hendrix

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1397159454' post='2421375']
^This^

I like a band to make an effort, even if your look is looking like you haven't. I don't care if it's punk, country, whatever the genre - put on a show
[/quote]

Disagree, there's something tragic about a band who dresses up like rock stars but play the Dog and Duck.

Interesting thread. I guess it all boils down to whether you're putting on a planned show and going for some sort of branding or whether you're just playing songs. I'd quite like to put a bit more effort into the 'show' side of things, but in practice we just play songs. Black trousers and black Tee is about as radical as we get on the 'showtime' front. At least our songs are mostly originals.

I'm with WPD on that.

I have seen a few bands play the local pubs and bars to the same 20 locals who are in whether there is music on or not and who dress in such a cringe inducing fashion you do feel sorry for them.

I get the argument that they are just having fun and more power to them if it's true but more often than not it seems to be for shock value than putting on a good show.

Edited by throwoff

My personal view is when I go to see a band - mainly originals - I like them to look "like the band". Not so much with covers bands really. But originals bands, where they look just like 4 blokes who were standing at the bar, and then when their stage performance mirrors that, well why would I watch them? I may as well turn my back and just listen.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1397159719' post='2421382']
Disagree, there's something tragic about a band who dresses up like rock stars but play the Dog and Duck.
[/quote]
Guess that makes me tragic then... although at 41 I'm beyond caring what others think of how I look. :)

I suppose it all depends on the type of clientele the Dog and Duck gets on Band Nights. Round these here parts, most of the audiences are pretty knowledgeable about their Music, and there are a surfeit of excellent Bands on the 'circuit'. If you make the effort to stand out from the crowd, it gives Landlords and Punters alike something 'extra' to remember you by, and it doesn't cost a lot either. A while ago, the Band I was in were searching for a 'look' to take on the road, and Asda came to the rescue! :o The Wife told me they had a Sale on, so for the massive sum of £24, we bought 4 black t-shirts and 4 black vests. We wore the t-shirts for the First Set, along with black jeans that we all owned, and vests for the Second. At our second gig, the Landlord came up to us and said it was excellent that we had made the effort to look like a Band, said we had a Professional look about us, and gave us another 3 gigs for the rest of the year. (With a bigger fee, I might add.) Word spread, the money went up, Gigs came rolling in, and all on the strength of a daft 'uniform'. I suppose the fact that we could play well might have helped a bit though. :D

Edited by BigAlonBass

I've got a set of black medical scrubs with the band name embroiderd across the chest where a hospital name would normally be. Thought they might make a change from the biker boots, leather trousers and black vest I normally wear. No conscious band uniform, but we wear black as a matter of routine and it does stand out amongst the surprisingly casual attire most bands seem to wear.

I do take the point that you need to be in tune with your audience and who you are trying to attract.
If you play a typical pub set and looking like it then getting a decent party gig and wage is going to be tough,
and you'll be lucky to break £500 for that gig. Play to another audience and look like you fit in and
those sort of parties aren't done on the same sort of budget so neither would the band be.

Also... we find certain people who have seen us will simply not go to certain pubs... now this may be misguided
on their part or whatever, but if they aren't inclined, they don't turn up. So...this is one of the reasons why you
dump the rough pubs from my POV.
It depends how and where you position yourselves. Of course, you can plan to the ninth degree but
if your opening songs don't work, then you are on the back foot for starters.
People congregate with what they perceived to be their own...

So, for the pub, we look ok....and from that comes the better gigs.

Horses for courses I say.

On the country circuit it's western shirts and hats, and dark trousers (not blue jeans). The drummer has a Hat Exemption Certificate! The shirts are colour themed rather than exactly matched, and changed each set, which makes a good impression with the trad C&W audiences. Yours truly on left, toting Gretsch:

In social clubs, dark trousers and black shoes, and a bright shirt (can't beat a bit of satin):

For rock covers, T-shirts all the way. Me on right with Sandberg:

For dance band work, DJ rig. Me on right with Variax: