Why become a member? ×

The great flats dilemma!

geoham

Bear with me on this one..... I don't mean to ramble! Looking for some advice from anyone who's had a similar experience.

Since 2002, I've been playing a Fender Jazz (Mex), which has suited me perfectly in most of my endeavours - from my old originals band to a few different covers bands - ranging from a Rolling Stones tribute act to my current pop/functions band. About 18 months ago, I fitted a Gotoh Bridge and Fender Custom 60's pickups to it, which really brought it to life. Stringwise, I've played 45-105 gauge rounds - either Ernie Ball or Rotosound - for as long as I can remember. I also favoured the neck pickup, or sometimes both. Rarely found the bridge pickup had enough low-end to cut through a mix.

I often found I wanted something else from my tone - I originally thought something with a more powerful bridge pickup, so purchased an Ibanez ATK. I really didn't get on with it, and moved it on after two years.

In September last year, I purchased a Precision bass (again, Mexican). I put a set of Rotosound flats on it, with the mindset that having a Jazz with rounds and a Precision with flats would be a good combination to cover most tones. (The band play a very mixed set)

I liked the flats at first, but before long they sounded like rubber bands to me. I've put a set of rounds back on to it, and I'm perfectly happy with it. It sounds best when driven slightly, working well with a few of our more rocky numbers.

Back to the Jazz..... I was bored one day, and decided to try the same set of flats on that and I absolutely love the sound of them. I particularly like the bridge pickup in a band situation - it cuts through the mix clearly while delivering a better low end than it did with roundwounds. The neck pickup with the tone rolled off sounds great for some oldies (which I'd guess were originally played on a Precision).

So, all good - a Jazz with flats and a Precision with rounds. I can cover all bases, from 'Stand by Me' or 'Mustang Sally' to modern stuff by Kings of Leon, Katy Perry or Bruno Mars.

Finally - to the dilemma! I miss the sound of rounds on my Jazz. What do I do? Some things I've considered:-[list]
[*]Buy another Jazz with rounds (Possibly a 5 string, as the extended range would also be handy!)
[*]Buy a better pickup for the Precision (did the flats sound crap because of that?), and put rounds back on my Jazz
[*]Put D'adarrio Chromes on the Jazz - I've heard they are quite bright for flats.
[*]Keep things as they are - keeping the wife happy! (In fairness, I'd probably limit myself to two basses per rehearsal or gig anyway)
[/list]
So, thanks for reading!

George

Edited by geoham

I'd get another bass (if I could afford one).
I've got Chromes on my bass, the are rather bright for flats, probably on a par with halfwounds (groundwounds).
I far prefer the Tomastik Infeld Jazz flats. They're bright for a flat too, but have a much nicer sound.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1396791926' post='2417346']
I'd get another bass (if I could afford one).
I've got Chromes on my bass, the are rather bright for flats, probably on a par with halfwounds (groundwounds).
I far prefer the Tomastik Infeld Jazz flats. They're bright for a flat too, but have a much nicer sound.
[/quote]

I want to get a five string anyway, been considering a Squier VM. Got a family holiday coming up, so will probably grab one after that. Or may hold out for something a bit more upmarket.

The one thing thats put me off the TI flats is that they are supposed to be low tension. I'm a but heavy handed you see..... How do they actually feel though?

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1396795277' post='2417397']
I want to get a five string anyway, been considering a Squier VM. Got a family holiday coming up, so will probably grab one after that. Or may hold out for something a bit more upmarket.

The one thing thats put me off the TI flats is that they are supposed to be low tension. I'm a but heavy handed you see..... How do they actually feel though?
[/quote]
I went from DR Strings roundwound to the TI strings & can honestly say that although I knew they were a lower tension, it never once crossed my mind when I was playing with the band. I play finger, plectrum, slap & tap. It's not like playing elastic bands. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1396801072' post='2417463']
I went from DR Strings roundwound to the TI strings & can honestly say that although I knew they were a lower tension, it never once crossed my mind when I was playing with the band. It's not like playing elastic bands. :)
[/quote]

+1.

People differ on whether they are "floppy" or not. Personally, I dont find them floppy, though I do have a light touch.

OP, TI's are expensive initially (not in the long run as they last so long), so you have a choice to play with a lighter touch and enjoy the TI's or forget about them, as IMO they dont lend themselves very well to "digging in".

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1396811929' post='2417621']
Keep the Precision as it is, keep the current Jazz as it is, and get a new Jazz and put rounds on it (the 5-er may be a good move).
[/quote]

Think this is some good advice - I'll break the news to the wife!