Why become a member? ×

Music scanning software ?

ML94

Hi guys,

Is there any software available which will recognise music notation and input the data itself. What I'm asking for is something like a plug in which are used in sibelius where I could scan in a peice of music and it would create the chart itself without me manually adding everything in ?

I know i'm being lazy but it would be a great help !

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1396691197' post='2416422']
There's a notation ocr program called photoscore, made by sibelius's creators. It used to come bundled with sibelius, at least it was up to v6. I havent upgraded since then, so it may have been dropped.
[/quote]

I heard about this but didn't know it was true. Will definitely look up !

I have "OMER" (€20) from Myriad software (www.myriad-online.com), for which you also need to have one of their other products, Melody Assistant (€30), or Harmony Assistant (€70).

How well it works depends very much on the quality and complexity of the original, and how good your scanner is.

Free trial versions (with limited printing capabilities) are available from their web site.

Myriads own brief description:

OMeR converts a printed musical score in a music file you can hear, modify and print with Melody Assistant or Harmony Assistant. If you often copy printed scores under Melody Assistant or Harmony Assistant, and you own a scanner; OMeR will greatly ease your job.

OMeR will drive your scanner, collect one or several pages and analyze them to generate a musical document useable directly under Melody or Harmony.