Why become a member? ×

Lefty Photo Gallery

sblueplanet

• 1 month later...

Well.... Here's the family today. The Washburn/ Status goes to a new home this week. It was fun while it lasted, it's a lovely, lovely bass but the collapse of my 80s band and joining something very different means it's unlikely to get the attention it deserves. The bitsa is also up for sale. Everything else is in use! The plan is to get down to four basses and stay there....

IMG_20211208_120624.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Well.... Here's the family today. The Washburn/ Status goes to a new home this week. It was fun while it lasted, it's a lovely, lovely bass but the collapse of my 80s band and joining something very different means it's unlikely to get the attention it deserves. The bitsa is also up for sale. Everything else is in use! The plan is to get down to four basses and stay there....

IMG_20211208_120624.jpg

Well well well.... Used the bitsa at rehearsal last night (first gig with the new band tomorrow) and it sounded incredible. I used the rehearsal space Orange amp which I despise when using my Stingray but using passive DiMarzio pups it was P bass perfection every step of the way from fingertip to earhole. Think I'll reconsider the sale!

On 08/12/2021 at 12:07, uk_lefty said:

IMG_20211208_120624.jpg

You've sold the Washburn Status? And the Japanese Jazz is gone. My collection is positively stable in comparison!

8 hours ago, kevham said:

You've sold the Washburn Status? And the Japanese Jazz is gone. My collection is positively stable in comparison!

Yeah it's moved a bit. Since the covid pandemic I think this is the chain of events...

Sold my MiJ Precision to fund the MIJ Jazz.

Bought an Aria SB Elite that I fixed up but ended up selling because I bought the Washburn Status.

Built up a PJ Bitsa.

Bought a fretless Warwick but sold shortly after.

Sold the MIJ Jazz to @Bonin-in-the boneyard

Bought an Epiphone Jack Casady.

Also in that time I've started and folded an 80s band, left the band I've been in since 2016 and joined an established local covers band.

I also bought and sold a Trace Elliot amp and have replaced my cabs with Ashdown ABM Neos. I shipped out my multi effects and got a Helix and have ended up building a board around it. Working at home 5 days a week for 2 years surrounded by music gear isn't so healthy I think!

I have lots of guests over in December and my office/ music room has the sofa bed. It was getting unwieldy so when it was £1 selling on eBay I put up the Washburn because it wasn't getting use and it sold at full value, not even an offer made! I was quite surprised, the price was highish but fair. The bitsa is also up but I'm really not bothered if it doesn't sell, it's coming to my gig tonight as a backup.

I want to keep to five basses at most, four ideally. If I get enough money in I might get a high end jazz bass, or just any Sire, I miss my old Sire a lot.

Edited by uk_lefty

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I put up the Washburn because it wasn't getting use and it sold at full value, not even an offer made! I was quite surprised, the price was highish but fair. 

The rarity may have something to do with it :)

And it's still cheaper than a real Status! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

The rarity may have something to do with it :)

And it's still cheaper than a real Status! 

Exactly. I saw a right handed up for a grand and I put mine up for £850 buy it now. I included a very good quality guitar gig bag, some brand new Elites strings and I had to spend some cash on getting it ship shape after I bought it so it was all fair I think. A few months ago Status had a lefty S2 in stock on their site, I thought it must be cheaper than ordering one so I enquired. I won't be having a real Status!

On 04/11/2021 at 16:49, Agent 00Soul said:

That is one Goth looking bass!

Thanks. 

At rehearsals, my violinist (who's also a bassist in another band) was super excited to get an up close look. Fortunately, my bandmates are all righties so no need to fend them off from taking my bass home with them. 

On 12/12/2021 at 10:28, kevham said:

Current family (l-r)

Status S2 5-string

Overwater custom P

Washburn Status S1000

Spector Euro LX

Vintage Icon P-bass

Schecter dUg Baron-H

IMG_20211212_102504960.jpg

IMG_20211212_104556498.jpg

The body on that Spector looks quite a lot smaller (in a good way) than the others, I'd never noticed that before. 

16 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

The body on that Spector looks quite a lot smaller (in a good way) than the others, I'd never noticed that before. 

Yes. The Spector has a small body and it is very nicely sculpted. It is super comfortable to play although it is not as light as the Overwater.

• Like 1

Here’s a photo of my Sire Marcus Miller P7 5 string.

So far mods are: Chrome knobs replacing the existing cheap black plastic one’s, and a custom-made red tort pickguard which replaced the stock one which was de-laminating. 

I’ve also just replaced the stock .022 tone cap for a 0.047 one, which has improved the tone of the bass.

Oh, and I’ve fitted D’Addario strap locks too. 

0CA99B3D-1664-4DD9-8933-68238BBD9CB9.jpeg

Edited by Baker69
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 06:53, uk_lefty said:

Yeah it's moved a bit. Since the covid pandemic I think this is the chain of events...

Sold my MiJ Precision to fund the MIJ Jazz.

Bought an Aria SB Elite that I fixed up but ended up selling because I bought the Washburn Status.

Built up a PJ Bitsa.

Bought a fretless Warwick but sold shortly after.

Sold the MIJ Jazz to @Bonin-in-the boneyard

Bought an Epiphone Jack Casady.

Also in that time I've started and folded an 80s band, left the band I've been in since 2016 and joined an established local covers band.

I also bought and sold a Trace Elliot amp and have replaced my cabs with Ashdown ABM Neos. I shipped out my multi effects and got a Helix and have ended up building a board around it. Working at home 5 days a week for 2 years surrounded by music gear isn't so healthy I think!

I have lots of guests over in December and my office/ music room has the sofa bed. It was getting unwieldy so when it was £1 selling on eBay I put up the Washburn because it wasn't getting use and it sold at full value, not even an offer made! I was quite surprised, the price was highish but fair. The bitsa is also up but I'm really not bothered if it doesn't sell, it's coming to my gig tonight as a backup.

I want to keep to five basses at most, four ideally. If I get enough money in I might get a high end jazz bass, or just any Sire, I miss my old Sire a lot.

Ah yeah that was me on eBay, I’d been saving to get a Status but whilst I had a fair bit saved I still had quite a way to go so when I saw the Washburn it was the perfect opportunity at the perfect time. Was going to get an American jazz but instead went for the status and can honestly say that the bass plays beautifully and considering it’s a bit of a rarity and had a gig bag plus strings, the price was more than fair for the quality of bass, I’ve struggled putting it down 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Washy131 said:

Ah yeah that was me on eBay, I’d been saving to get a Status but whilst I had a fair bit saved I still had quite a way to go so when I saw the Washburn it was the perfect opportunity at the perfect time. Was going to get an American jazz but instead went for the status and can honestly say that the bass plays beautifully and considering it’s a bit of a rarity and had a gig bag plus strings, the price was more than fair for the quality of bass, I’ve struggled putting it down 

Ah great! It is a fantastic bass. I find it easier to slap than any other bass I've had, even the Hohner B2A. I LOVED using it on 80s covers through a Trace Elliot, but notice your Marshall gear in the photo, you have great taste in bass stuff! 

It was a lovely bass but my sound right now is all about the Stingray, the PJ Bitsa and Jack Casady are backup to that so really it would have been sat unused in its case, which is a crying shame.

35 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

What's the junior like? A red one came up on eBay a while back but I know nothing at all about them.

Really likeable once you loose the stock bridge and sort the drab paint job out (imho).  Plus the pick-up offers a bit more range than you’d expect from a shorter scaled Gibbo.  

I’ve always loved the original Les Paul Jr. double cut form (especially in TV Yellow) so was chuffed that they did them left handed.

Not horrifically priced new, so could be a bargain if you pick one up used.

1 hour ago, mxm said:

Really likeable once you loose the stock bridge and sort the drab paint job out (imho).  Plus the pick-up offers a bit more range than you’d expect from a shorter scaled Gibbo.  

I’ve always loved the original Les Paul Jr. double cut form (especially in TV Yellow) so was chuffed that they did them left handed.

Not horrifically priced new, so could be a bargain if you pick one up used.

Ah is your white finish a refinish? I saw a red one on eBay for less than six hundred and it went quickly. I like that each year Gibson seem to do a lefty bass, the SG, the Thunderbird and then this. The SG Bass would be my preference but would much prefer it full sized, I'm not keen on short scale basses..... Yet.

That LP Jr looks lovely, and the white finish looks great! 

Someone on a Dutch forum that I visit frequently added a chrome pickup cover with pickup ring à la old Thunderbird. I thought that was a lovely touch too! The mounting ring is fixed to the pickguard with double sided tape rather than screwed, to make it reversible. There's foil on the inside of the pickup cover, because the pickup stopped working when all the pole pieces touched the metal. 

83FDE587-7F49-4344-952A-065ADBB35439.jpeg.bc89999321cc763d49d2648a6b2b64b2.jpeg

• Like 1