Why become a member? ×

Lefty Photo Gallery

sblueplanet

Time for me to share.

IMG_0649.thumb.jpeg.40453329f555a0ac68872e68124671bd.jpeg

IMG_0647.thumb.jpeg.1af2379f8ed2dced6373411055f963a8.jpeg

Left to right:

MTD Kingston 6 string. My frankenbass which has been customised beyond recognition. USA Barts and a Mike Pope preamp with Hipshot hardware. Pickups have been moved into several positions over the years, the router is now my best friend. I installed the luminlays myself which was tense fun.

ACG Recurve. Beautiful beyond words. I went for a completely flat radius and the fingerboard and it is hilariously easy to play.

Fender American Professional II Jazz. PLEK'd by Peach Guitars. Babicz bridge, highly recommended. John East preamp. Ramp from Luca Merlatti at Finger Ramp. I also have a set of Nordstrand Big Bladed waiting to be installed. Fitted with flats which give this bass a very distinctive character.

Hohner B2A. New EMG pickups and preamp make this bass great. Jimmy Egypt did some fretwork and it plays beautifully. 

I'm very happy with the way the basses all complement each other with little overlap of tone.

• Like 4

On 01/01/2022 at 14:54, JohnR said:

Time for me to share.

IMG_0649.thumb.jpeg.40453329f555a0ac68872e68124671bd.jpeg

IMG_0647.thumb.jpeg.1af2379f8ed2dced6373411055f963a8.jpeg

Hohner B2A. New EMG pickups and preamp make this bass great. Jimmy Egypt did some fretwork and it plays beautifully.

Glad you still have the Hohner. I took that bass all round Europe in 2018 as my travel bass. Great fun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnR said:

I love the Hohner. It is always within reach and gets played a lot.

I had one for a while, loved it. Sounded fantastic passive.... Or I just can't get my head around a 2 band EQ!!  If the string spacing weren't so tight I'd still.... Who am I kidding.

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I had one for a while, loved it. Sounded fantastic passive.... Or I just can't get my head around a 2 band EQ!!  If the string spacing weren't so tight I'd still.... Who am I kidding.

2 band eq? Two bands too many for me! My next custom build will be a P-bass with no tone control. Like my Schecter dUg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

That's stunning! Did the MIJ Jazz give you the J bass bug? Hope you're well mate. 

Cheers hope your well👍 still got that Jazz great Bass has a really nice slap tone for a passive 

I actually have another MIJ with rosewood fingerboard that I've had for quite a few years I have a love hate relationship with 4 string Jazz Basses

And mainly play 5 string so ordered the overwater last year 

The build quality is amazing and plays great it has the extended neck so playing the B string on the higher frets isn't a problem

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/04/2014 at 17:47, mcarp555 said:

I need to update my family photo, but here's the herd:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/mcarp555/PS5UG/DSCN6084A.jpg

Back: Right-handed [b]Engelhart [/b]strung left-handed.
Front, l. to r.: Right-handed [b]Kingston[/b], strung left-handed; 1977 [b]Fender Precision[/b]; 1999 Mexican [b]Fender Jazz[/b] (since sold); 2010 or so - [b]Hofner V62[/b] reissue; 2007 or so - [b]Indie[/b] custom finish electro-acoustic (32" scale); 1987 [b]Hofner 187 "Shorty"[/b] travel bass (one of only a handful known to exist; 28" scale).

Here's what I replaced the Mexican Jazz with:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/mcarp555/PS5UG/DSCN7167A_zps0c3203b6.jpg

[b]1967 Fender Jazz[/b], w/bound neck, block inlays & lollipop tuners. Non-original pickups.

And as seen in the [i]Reviews[/i] section, the [b]Gaskell Thunderbass [/b](2013):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/mcarp555/Guitars/DSCN7474A_zpsa96d00ce.jpg

Wow! You have a similar story to me. My first Bass (I'm a lefty) was a '78 Fender P, and I didn't replace my Mexican Jazz but bought a '68 Jazz on which I replaced the cream pick guard with a tortoiseshell pickguard.

Jonny

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bonin-in-the boneyard said:

That sire looks really nice 👌

Crazily it didn't cost much more than the V7, and it was cheaper to get a five string than a four!!?! It's a nice bass, I love the preamp on these. I gigged it the same week I got it, I think. Its very comfortable to play. Still doesn't beat the Stingray though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2022 at 10:59, uk_lefty said:

Updating my family photo... The fretless needs a friend I think.

IMG20220427105723.jpg

I'm thrilled they finally made a production run of the Casady model.  Would have been all over it 10 or 15 years ago, but I can't bring myself to buy any more instruments.