Why become a member? ×

Lefty Photo Gallery

sblueplanet

• 1 month later...

Hello - I'm relatively new to this forum.  It seemed more fun to introduce myself to my fellow lefties first.  I've been playing bass in bands in New York for almost 30 years.  Got married and now I live in Chelsea, London.  At 53, I'm not sure if there's anything left for me to play in, although I have to admit that gigging in London never gets old - unlike me.  

Here are some piccies of the basses I've acquired over the years.  I brought them all with me to the UK so who knows....

37926_453873516800_94073206800_5315737_5106943_n.jpg

DSCF6662.jpg

IMG_8780.JPG

Thunderbird JT banner.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Agent 00Soul said:

Hello - I'm relatively new to this forum.  It seemed more fun to introduce myself to my fellow lefties first.  I've been playing bass in bands in New York for almost 30 years.  Got married and now I live in Chelsea, London.  At 53, I'm not sure if there's anything left for me to play in, although I have to admit that gigging in London never gets old - unlike me.  

Here are some piccies of the basses I've acquired over the years.  I brought them all with me to the UK so who knows....

37926_453873516800_94073206800_5315737_5106943_n.jpg

DSCF6662.jpg

IMG_8780.JPG

Thunderbird JT banner.jpg

Awesome collection! What's the middle one? 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Awesome collection! What's the middle one? 

The black one?  It's a Frankenbass.  It started as a 1993 Fender Custom Shop 61 Jazz.  By the time I bought it in 2001 it had been played to near death, and bits gradually failed.  So the neck is now a Warmoth and the front pick-up is a Duncan P-bass to replace the original J-bass after the electronics also went kaput.  I think the only original thing left is the body and the hardware.

Edited by Agent 00Soul
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 30/04/2021 at 10:10, uk_lefty said:

Family got updated recently, and it's time for a spring clean... Can you guess what era of music I have a preference for? 

IMG_20210430_100708_edit_14990133663336.jpg

Got yourself a Washburn Status. I've had mine since new in 1989. It is the one bass I will never sell.

1 minute ago, kevham said:

Got yourself a Washburn Status. I've had mine since new in 1989. It is the one bass I will never sell.

Yes, I've got an 80s band starting so when it came up I just pounced on the guy selling it! Not sure about the pre amp but when you play it through a Trace Elliot it's phenomenal... So much so I bought a Trace Elliot too! 

4 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Yes, I've got an 80s band starting so when it came up I just pounced on the guy selling it! Not sure about the pre amp but when you play it through a Trace Elliot it's phenomenal... So much so I bought a Trace Elliot too! 

Can't get more 80s than that. Status and a Trace. Classic. I picked up a Status S2 during lockdown. My dream bass when I was a kid.

9 hours ago, kevham said:

Can't get more 80s than that. Status and a Trace. Classic. I picked up a Status S2 during lockdown. My dream bass when I was a kid.

Saw they had a lefty on their site, rang up and got a cost..... Then the Washburn came up within a few days at 1/6th the cost, it had to be done! Might send it off to Status and ask if they can upgrade the pre amp for me. Its very comfortable to play and it's knocked my jazz bass out of rotation.. 

New bass incoming. Risky wee bid on eBay but it turned out to be a good one. Much better than the similar age Squier I had and a bit better than the Mexican Fenders I've had in the past.

For less than a couple of hundred quid, it does make me wonder why I have spent thousands on some basses!

Ok, the finish is a bit naff but the hardware and pickup are spot on for the money and it plays very well.

IMG_20210804_165948689~2.jpg

IMG_20210804_165957550~2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rasher80 said:

@kevham

Are they as good as they're implied to be?

I've always been intrigued by these basses. 

It all depends on your expectations I guess. The current V4 Reissued basses retail at about £300 new but you can pick them up for nearer £200. That is well below Squier classic vibe (£350). It is also well below the other budget contender the Sire P5 (£400).

The Vintage neck, hardware, pickup and electrics all seem very robust and certainly compare favourably to any Squier or Sire I have played or owned. This bass plays nicely and sounds pretty good - it is definitely gig ready.

I have seen these V4 basses used by touring bands.

The thing that Iets this particular bass down is the naff 'relic' finish - it's not like an old beat up bass - it looks like a printed finish. However, the current Vintage V4 Reissued  P bass has a much nicer gloss finish albeit you can only get black if you're left handed 🙄.

Overall, I would certainly consider one if in the market for a 'budget' p bass - Squier, Sire or even Fender Player series - the Vintage may well be better value.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This may be better

L-R, Tune Bass Maniac 5, Fernandes P-Project 5, NSD NXT4, Ibanez EHBMS5L, Steinberger Spirit XZ25, GoldTone Fretless MBF, Aria 68-5, FauxFender 4, MIJ Tele, Godin A6, MIJ Tele Thinline, Spirit GT, '88 Steinberger GL4T

Back in Aus: '92 Steinberger XL2L Elite 5 narrow, converted to lined fretless 4 & XL25WL, Warwick Thumb b/o 5 & Corvette 5F, Ibanez SR505, Tune Bass Maniac 4 converted to 5, Musicman Sterling 4

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 4.31.43 pm.png

Edited by glefty
  • Like 1

With my new Overwater incoming, I'm thinking of trying to sell one of mine. Not sure what to let go. Status S2 5-string is a candidate as I don't really play 5-string. Schecter dUg Baron H is the other candidate as I can't really manage the 35" scale with my super small hands.........

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kevham said:

With my new Overwater incoming, I'm thinking of trying to sell one of mine. Not sure what to let go. Status S2 5-string is a candidate as I don't really play 5-string. Schecter dUg Baron H is the other candidate as I can't really manage the 35" scale with my super small hands.........

Interested! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some not so good photos of my beautiful new 2019 Schecter Riot 4 Aurora Burst. There's something of a story behind getting her, basically, at the start of the year I found myself with just enough money to splash out on my first new bass since 2009.  It came down to this and a Schecter SLS Evil Twin, I think the Ibanex EHB got cut from the line-up because seafoam green just doesn't look remotely goth. Originally, I settled on the Evil Twin and placed my order with Anderton's with an initial delivery date of early May but that got moved back by supply issues and by last week I'd gotten fed, saw they had the Riot in stock and switched my order. 

I'm not fond of the nickel round strings, I'm a fan of flats but that's not a slight against the bass herself. The X series EMGs sound fantastic, the neck is smooth and fast, these photos really don't do justice to just how good she looks. Perhaps not super light but also not particularly heavy. Seems unlikely I'm going to have any trouble with warping from the carbon fibre reinforced neck, not that I ever had that issue with my Cort.

I might still consider an Evil Twin down the line, and I still fancy a headless fanned fret in an appropriate colour. But I'm very happy with my Riot here.

Oh, those pedals are great too.

IMG_20211013_174535.jpg

IMG_20211013_174554.jpg

IMG_20211013_174701.jpg

IMG_20211013_190328.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely! I generally don't like guitars and basses with beveled edges in a different finish than the top as it can look a bit too busy (I'm looking at you Kiesel!), but it really suits this model. 

Schecter has to be one of the most lefty-friendly major brands out there! So much of their range is available left-handed, and I love it. I've never played anything other than their C7 Hellraiser 7-string guitar because they're fairly hard to find here in the Netherlands, but they seem great. I didn't get along with the C7 because of the HUGE neck profile, but otherwise it was a lovely axe.

• Like 1

Thanks. I really like the stain they put on the ash, combined with that burst on the burl top it really puts me in mind of the cold of the north and Scandinavia, so much so I nicknamed her The Valkyrie. Yeah, it's great to have so many options. Well, when they can actually be sourced from the suppliers that is.