Why become a member? ×

Lefty Photo Gallery

sblueplanet

1 hour ago, rogerstodge said:

The Player series are pretty much faultless, how do the 2 compare Graz?

For the price I'd have to agree with you rogerstodge, the Player does represent excellent value for money👍

My thoughts are, looks wise they're very similar despite the price difference, both are pretty lightweight. There of course are difference's which I would expect considering that the Professional is more than double the price of the Player. Not that you would probably notice playing down the Dog & Duck on a Saturday night.

The Player has a slimmer neck profile less chunky compared to the US. Sound wise the Player sounds brighter, more modern if you know what I mean, probably down to the maple neck & less vintage sounding pickups.

I'm playing in three piece covers band & I'm now wondering if the more modern sound is more suited to the material we play 🤔

Edited by graz66

7 hours ago, rogerstodge said:

Thanks for that Graz, I went for the white one with the pau ferro neck in the end, I don’t have a US one any more to Compare it with but I think I prefer it to my Ric’ which says a lot.

I don't think you can really beat the Player for value for money. I originally had a Stingray & the US Precision, but moved the Stingray on. The sale did fund the purchase of the Player, however i'm now having a slight case of sellers regret. Lol 

Edited by graz66

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/11/2019 at 19:56, kevham said:

Here is my Mexican Jazz with Hipshot tuners and black Kickass bridge.

IMG_20191110_195211454.jpg

I had a similar one. Mine was early 90's, very heavy and quite beaten up by a previous owner. But it arrived with lightweight tuners and a Badass II bridge. It was a great gigging bass that went through quite a lot of upgrades but always felt comfortable to play. Kinda regretting letting it go. The early 90s MIM stuff has a bad reputation but for what it was I loved it. Must just mean the current MIM stuff is amazing! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a while since I contributed to this thread... My jazz basses, a Sire and an MIM Fender, were sold off at the end of 2018 when I felt guilty about splashing out on a brand new Stingray. I regret being jazz-less now though have to admit the Stingray is just SO good and versatile and perfect for live gigs I need to remind myself you can only play one at a time! 

I have very recently acquired a beaten up Aria SB Elite 1 that needs lots of attention. If its financially viable this 1984 monster may be resurrected as a Fretless... 

I also bought myself a Squier CV Tele as a Christmas present to myself, seen with the Ray! 

15881657631658411150971070558258.jpg

IMG_20200123_222909.jpg

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

Cool! One of those Aria's has been for sale here for quite some time. I believe it only had frets 1-7, and had the rest pulled. Cool and rare beast. 

I was tempted on that one, might still be if mine is beyond saving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I'm new in this forum and I saw there is a lefty topic, I thought it was mandatory to share my bass!

Here is my JB62 MIJ Fender built in 1992. When I bought it almost ten years ago, the guy told me one of the pickups wasn't an original but I don't know which one.

I like the sound of it but, quite recently I was thinking of changing those pickups. Even though, I know that a passive will never be as punchy as an active without some extra devices, do you think it is worth upgrading my pickups?

If you know a better place to ask this question, feel free to redirect me.

IMG_20200509_164405.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phnod said:

Since I'm new in this forum and I saw there is a lefty topic, I thought it was mandatory to share my bass!

Here is my JB62 MIJ Fender built in 1992. When I bought it almost ten years ago, the guy told me one of the pickups wasn't an original but I don't know which one.

I like the sound of it but, quite recently I was thinking of changing those pickups. Even though, I know that a passive will never be as punchy as an active without some extra devices, do you think it is worth upgrading my pickups?

If you know a better place to ask this question, feel free to redirect me.

IMG_20200509_164405.jpg

Good evening and welcome! Lovely bass that must be! I've got an MIJ P bass and it's awesome. I did a gig in 2018 where I played half with a new Sire 5 string vintage jazz and half with a beaten up 90s MIM Fender jazz, reputably a sh!t vintage for MIM Fender. However, it had Bartolini JB-75 (I think that's the model?) pickups and a few other tweaks and on playback it just sounds that little bit more complex and sophisticated than the Sire, which was an excellent excellent bass. So I'd say Bartolini.. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2020 at 21:52, uk_lefty said:

Good evening and welcome! Lovely bass that must be! I've got an MIJ P bass and it's awesome. I did a gig in 2018 where I played half with a new Sire 5 string vintage jazz and half with a beaten up 90s MIM Fender jazz, reputably a sh!t vintage for MIM Fender. However, it had Bartolini JB-75 (I think that's the model?) pickups and a few other tweaks and on playback it just sounds that little bit more complex and sophisticated than the Sire, which was an excellent excellent bass. So I'd say Bartolini.. 

Thank you for the warm welcome! So for you, an upgrade is not a bad idea? I guess Jb-75 pickups wouldn't be the best choice for me since my bass is a JB-62 reissue. I'll check around what are the possibilities for me.

2 hours ago, phnod said:

Thank you for the warm welcome! So for you, an upgrade is not a bad idea? I guess Jb-75 pickups wouldn't be the best choice for me since my bass is a JB-62 reissue. I'll check around what are the possibilities for me.

Good point! It made a subtle difference to my bass. I've not played many MIM Jazzes but just think I either got lucky with a good one or just had a good bond with it. Your MIJ will be a lot better. Personally I wouldn't want odd pickups in a bass so would swap them out but there's a huge amount of replacements to choose from. Bartolinis don't have the exposed pole pieces so don't look authentic. The ones I had sounded good but to me never screamed "70s" so I guess it's just down to what you think sounds good for you. If you go online there's loads of sound clips. If you wanted it all to be authentic 60s then Fender 60s reissues may be good? 

• Like 1

Tidied up my guitar corner.

Current collection:

1989 Washburn Status S1000

2012 Spector EuroLX TW

2004 Fender Jazz MIJ

2019 Schecter Baron H dig

I'm looking for a nice P bass to round it off.

IMG_20200511_210741548.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kevham said:

Tidied up my guitar corner.

Current collection:

1989 Washburn Status S1000

2012 Spector EuroLX TW

2004 Fender Jazz MIJ

2019 Schecter Baron H dig

I'm looking for a nice P bass to round it off.

IMG_20200511_210741548.jpg

Lovely jazz bass 😍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, whynot said:

I remember having a shall I or Shan't I moment with an Aria just like that in Rockbottom of Croydon years ago. In hindsight I should have.

Once it has a working pickup I can confirm in full... But for now, it just feels nice in my hand. I do like The feel of a neck thru bass. 

1 hour ago, whynot said:

Hardly played bass for the past 4 months so thought about time I made the effort. Took scratch plate off my short scale Elwood for a change. Bit of a clean up. Considering some new strings!

IMG_20200714_174743_resized_20200714_060535741.jpg

Looks great! How do you find the B string on the 30" scale?