Why become a member? ×

Lefty Photo Gallery

sblueplanet

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My new arrival from the States. Steinberger XL2A
Only problem I have, which was unforeseen, is that the string slots on the headpiece are different widths for each string which means Im unable to reverse the strings, as is the way I play bass. Not sure how to rectify this issue. Beautiful and rare instrument in fantastic condition.

Edited by sblueplanet

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1505057417' post='3369178']
Nice Steinberger, rare to say the least.

Did you manage to source a case (saw the wanted post) ?!!
[/quote]
Still looking. Doesn't have to be a Steinberger case. Will fit in any guitar size gigbag but trying to find a case that is both short in length and narrow like the bass itself.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1505058102' post='3369188']

Still looking. Doesn't have to be a Steinberger case. Will fit in any guitar size gigbag but trying to find a case that is both short in length and narrow like the bass itself.
[/quote]

Have you considered a hard shell shotgun case ? Perfect dimensions, depth and padding - I bought one off a friend for next to nothing.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1505059746' post='3369210']
I suppose the original Steinberger cases were like gun cases so no surprise it fits what you have.
Feel free to upload a pic to illustrate the snug fit.
[/quote]

Can't sorry, had 4 of the Hohners and sold them all !

It was a black RWS case I recall, waffle foam interior !!!

Edited by mxm

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1505054831' post='3369154']
My new arrival from the States. Steinberger XL2.
Only problem I have, which was unforeseen, is that the string slots on the headpiece are different widths for each string which means Im unable to reverse the strings, as is the way I play bass. Not sure how to rectify this issue. Beautiful and rare instrument in fantastic condition.
[/quote]
Thats a cool bass

• 2 weeks later...

And another one removed from the 'if ever at the right conditions' list.

This Fortress 5 string came by at Thomann for a price I was willing to spend on it.

It will probably be turned in another black beast in the future - same way I did my fretless Corvette.

Replaced the chrome hardware with black and put on DR Black Beauties.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my project Squier P Bass that I bought for £120. I've added a Hipshot tuners and a Hipshot extender, a hipshot Kickass bridge and a custom black scratchplate. The bass plays really nicely and I plan to rewire it and maybe change the pickups at a later date.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZhUuPy][/url]

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1507824628' post='3388244']
Did you have the scratchplate made?
[/quote]

Yes - Jacks Instrument Services in Manchester. Really good fit and nice quality. Not cheap but I couldn’t find an off the shelf plate that worked. Plus I reckoned a quality scratch plate would make the whole guitar look just that bit more pukka.

Sorry for not replying earlier, thanks for liking the R**k, the story with the position markers is that lefty 4001 basses had a completely upside down (right handed)neck. Sometime during 4003 production the nice people in Santa Ana decided that lefties shouldnt have to pay a lot of money for an ugly bass that looked like an afterthought, but they didnt go all the way and it would appear that they used right handed fretboards, hencè the upside down triangles. Mine is a 2000 model year and at some later date they deigned to actually make it truly left handed, although the volume and tone potentiometers are right handed audio taper pots wired left handed (anticlockwise) so they are basically full on after less than a quarter turn and nothing much after that. I am currently in the process of getting in touch with an old friend to wire them clockwise! As much as I love the instrument I find the attitude towards left handers a bit poor.

Edited by leftyyorky

Thanks for the history leftyyorky. I looked at quite a few photos of older and newer versions and saw that more recent models had the triangles the 'right' way around but not sure what year that happened. Is it same story with the dot markers on the side of the fingerboard?!

• 1 month later...

New bass in the building, Revelation bass VI.
revelation.jpg
Amazing how they can make an instrument with this build quality for this little money, faultless paint (polish) job, good finished pickguard and properly setup straight from the box.
Of course I had to do some tweaks or it won't feel like it's mine, replaced the chrome pickguard screws with black ones, lowered the nut and did an even better setup.
Also put some foam between the bridge and the strings, they were resonating irritatingly without this.

Edited by blablas
typo