Why become a member? ×

Can a j retro do this

marcus bell

Very interested in fitting a j retro into a passive jazz bass, as I love the Marcus miller tone and it will help me get closer to that, but I also really like that warm, burpy jaco' bridge pickup tone, which I usually get by rolling the tone off

Will the j retro be able to do this? As it doesn't have a passive tone knob and I don't want the deluxe model

I've been tempted by a j-retro, but not being able to solo the front pickup in passive mode has put me off.

I guess you could switch the front and rear pickup connectors over but I'd presume that would make nonsense of the controls

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1396539169' post='2414865']
Very interested in fitting a j retro into a passive jazz bass, as I love the Marcus miller tone and it will help me get closer to that, but I also really like that warm, burpy jaco' bridge pickup tone, which I usually get by rolling the tone off

Will the j retro be able to do this? As it doesn't have a passive tone knob and I don't want the deluxe model
[/quote]

If you want the Marcus Miller tone & also keep the passive sounds then why not get a Sadowsky outboard preamp - the preamp in Marcus Millers bass is a Sadowsky.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396556469' post='2415158']

If you want the Marcus Miller tone & also keep the passive sounds then why not get a Sadowsky outboard preamp - the preamp in Marcus Millers bass is a Sadowsky.
[/quote]

Good idea for the Sadowsky preamp.

(Just a note but MM's internal preamp is actually a Bartolini which was fitted by Roger Sadowsky:))

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396556469' post='2415158']
[/quote]

It's actually a Bartolini.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1396557877' post='2415173']
It's actually a Bartolini.
[/quote]
[quote name='Floyd Pepper' timestamp='1396557790' post='2415172']
Good idea for the Sadowsky preamp.

(Just a note but MM's internal preamp is actually a Bartolini which was fitted by Roger Sadowsky:))
[/quote]

Fair enough - the OP will have changed his f***ing mind again tomorrow anyway..... :D

Make sure you demo a J Retro before buying / installing.

It's a very 'marmite' pre-amp and seems to be disliked by as many people that like it.

Personally I find it adds a lot of colour to the core tone of an instrument and the colour it adds is not one I particularly like so I've removed a few from basses I've owned that came loaded with one.

However I know a lot of people that absolutely love them :)