Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass pimped

Urban Bassman

I recently bought a 92/93 MIM Jazz of ebay for a reasonable price and set about upgrading it.

Here's a before pic [attachment=159271:Jazz 2.JPG]

It was pretty filthy - I think the previous owner, who had it from new, gigged it and chucked it back in it's case and never cleaned it or changed the strings. It was quite grungy to be honest. So I stripped all the hardware of it and gave the body and the neck a damn good clean. Not too many dings despite the abuse and only minor buckle rash. So now I set about obtaining the bit to make it nice again.

I decided that a tort plate was the way to go and The Bass Doc obliged with a nice replacement and KiOgon provided the control plate assembly complete with pots, cap and jack all wired up - lovely job. I bought a Gotoh 201B bridge which I think look great and have a lot more mass the BBOT that was on it.

I was going to look into replacing the Pups but realised that Mexican Jazz basses have the same size Neck and Bridge Pups and all the off the shelf replacement upgrades I could find from Kent Armstrong, Seymour Duncan, etc and even Fender all have the wider Bridge Pup as used on USA built basses. The stock Pups sounded pretty good anyway so I decided to keep them. Has anyone fitted two neck ups to their MIM Jazz without any issues? Or does anyone know of some off the shelf replacements that a made to fit MIM Jazzes? I could find any but my Googling skills aren't that great...would be nice to know either way...

Anyway a new set of strings and tweak on the truss rod and presto, I've got a really nice looking JB that plays nicely and sounds great too!

Here's the finish article.
[attachment=159274:IMG_3116.JPG]
[attachment=159279:IMG_3115.JPG]

Big thanks to The Bass Doc and KiOgon for their help and their fantastic service.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1396568872' post='2415320']
I just hurled or blew chunks or whatever.

Tort on black?!

See a good psychiatrist. Mine's good if you need a number.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[size=4]It must be a H&S issue as well.[/size]

[size=4]Putting a tort scratchplate on a black bass is asking for a slap. :P[/size]