Why become a member? ×

Not gig? What do you mean 'not gig'?

Bilbo

I'm not sure how people make it work purely as recording artists any more (unless they are part time). The same internet/multimedia approach that is giving them the freedom to do their own thing independently of major labels is also giving others a medium for distributing those recording for nothing. The higher your profile and bigger the fanbase then the more chances are that your material will end up on a free download site. BRX summed it up in post #16

[quote name='2wheeler' timestamp='1396530986' post='2414716'] I agree. I am horrified when I see that people are advertising their basses and amps as "ungigged". What on earth did they get it for then? Did they steal it from a shop window? [/quote]
That's GAS for you, then find out you didn't need it at all

That feeling you get at the end of a night and someone comes up and says, great night, just makes it all worthwhile for me. When I look back and say, I have been partly responsible for giving these people a good time, that's why I love to gig, I can't imagine not gigging even though we are not as prolific as we used to be, it's still a great feeling!

[quote name='2wheeler' timestamp='1396530986' post='2414716'] I agree. I am horrified when I see that people are advertising their basses and amps as "ungigged". What on earth did they get it for then? Did they steal it from a shop window? [/quote]

Some people are happy just doing recording stuff at home, doesn't mean to say it is unused just not hauled in and out of pubs/clubs/theatres/major stadia etc. I got my rickenbacker that way at a very sensible price, not a mark on it when i got my filthy gigging hands on it... ;)

I miss gigging. Haven't done a gig since 2010. :( I love it. And I miss it (did I mention that already?).

Although I am at a point now, with a demanding full-time job, a wife and two kids under 4, where many of the practicalities of being in a very active gigging band are nigh-on impossible, so I'm resigned to the very occasional jam with mates, and messing about with composing on my computer and making silly things with my looping pedal. Eventually I hope to get back into it though, but so much is dependent on finding the right people with the same motivations and expectations as yourself. Basically, I'm massively restricting my options by being 41 and only wanting to play originals, but I wouldn't be happy with anything else, so I'm happy to wait for the right situation.

I'm not in any rush to go back to gigging with the two bands I'm doing at the moment, and I don't think the other players are either. I still do play gigs with other people, backing up singer/songwriters on the upright, but in terms of my own originals I won't be gigging them just for the sake of it. If we get offered gigs that look good no doubt we'll do them but the toilet circuit thing is just too time-consuming. I confess I do feel right at home on the toilet circuit and there's a certain comforting feeling I get from doing those gigs but I'd rather concentrate on writing and recording now.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1396595487' post='2415413']
Well, I'm no ego-driven soul, but even so, the gig's the thing. Quite apart from putting food on the table, there's no point in playing if you don't gig.
[/quote]

We'll maybe, but for ages I didn't gig, due to job constraints, but I still enjoyed jamming or plugging away on my own. There's no doubt gigging is the pinnacle of playing, but plenty folk get enjoyment through just playing

Hmm. Bit disappointed with the lack of tolerance being expressed regarding gigging being the only point of playing music. I can understand why some people live for it but why be so condescending to those who have no desire to gig? I'm sure plenty of people derive loads of pleasure by playing just for their own challenge and enjoyment. What next - no point in reading a book unless it's done out loud in front of an audience?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1396605501' post='2415563']
Hmm. Bit disappointed with the lack of tolerance being expressed regarding gigging being the only point of playing music. I can understand why some people live for it but why be so condescending to those who have no desire to gig? I'm sure plenty of people derive loads of pleasure by playing just for their own challenge and enjoyment. What next - no point in reading a book unless it's done out loud in front of an audience?
[/quote]

Agreed. I do gig, BTW, and I am of the opinion that the most fun (and challenge) that can be derived from playing bass is through playing with others (be it gigging or rehearsing/jamming in private) but it's only my experience and only a personal opinion.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1396606508' post='2415581']

I only ever seem to get "chatted up" by blokes at the end of gigs :mellow:
[/quote]

Ha, when we were a two piece, I used to slag off my mate the guitarist, that he only got approached by boffins because of all his pedals and stuff, whereas, me being the singist,got approached by the birds. Now a few years later, it's our rhythm guitarist who gets all the attention cos he's young and good looking. I keep telling him he's just in the band as eye candy. It's bloody rotten to be invisible now right enough

We've had few gigs in the last couple of years, because the singer had frequent health issues. As a result the rest of us, guitar, bass, drums, had a lot of practice sessions without the singer and with no gig in prospect. Actually it's been good, we've tried new material, had long, rambling Moby Grape style improvisations we could never get away with in a gig, got tighter, and the guitarist turned out to be a useful singer. Now gearing up for gigs with a new singer, but I'll miss the power trio jams.

Thing is, it's playing with other people that's the buzz for me, not necessarily with an audience.