Why become a member? ×

On the hunt for a back-up bass!

action_panzer

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1396799956' post='2417448']
OR...
How about a USA made EB MusicMan SUB? It's essentially another Stingray with a different finish/look, and well within your budget.
[/quote]

Nothing like a Jazz neck though!

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1396863253' post='2417972']
My B4's neck is a bit chunkier than a Jazz though.
[/quote]

That's interesting as my B4FL seems to have the skinniest neck of all my basses! Just measured it against my Squier Jazz and both are 38mm at the nut but the Jazz seems a shade deeper front to back (about a millimetre difference as best I can measure with a ruler).

Aye I do have two pretty fat necked basses at the moment! Looking for something a bit different on the neck profile more akin to a jazz, so I can get around the board a bit quicker and so its less taxing to play - after a 90 minute set on the SR you can really feel it!

Someone did mention a US EBMM sub, but aren't they quite rare now?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396863817' post='2417981']
That's interesting as my B4FL seems to have the skinniest neck of all my basses! Just measured it against my Squier Jazz and both are 38mm at the nut but the Jazz seems a shade deeper front to back (about a millimetre difference as best I can measure with a ruler).
[/quote]

Hmmm, intriguing. My B4 has a nut width of about 40/41mm and definitely feels chunkier than my Squier VM Jazz. Could be year of manufacture differences maybe?

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1396865421' post='2418015']
Aye I do have two pretty fat necked basses at the moment! Looking for something a bit different on the neck profile more akin to a jazz, so I can get around the board a bit quicker and so its less taxing to play - after a 90 minute set on the SR you can really feel it!

Someone did mention a US EBMM sub, but aren't they quite rare now?
[/quote]

The US SUB is rare (it's not being made anymore) but not that rare. You still see them fairly regularly for sale here and on eBay. I waited a bit to get my white one, because I wanted a white one specifically. Then another two appeared the following month :P

Someone mentioned Cort... The Cort GB74 is a bit like a "super Jazz". A MM pickup at the bridge (but at the Jazz position, more or less) and a J at the bridge. Active. Slim neck. Mine cost me only £150 used. Well worth checking out. I find the pickups a bit "polite" but sound good enough, and can always be replaced...

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396943957' post='2418885']
I'd be willing to bet that the MTD Kingstons are made by Cort :)
[/quote]

I wouldn't put the house on it if I were you, Howie - MTD Kingstons used to be made in Korea, but production shifted to China a few years ago.

It's very possible that Cort was the manufacturer when Kingstons were MIK - here's what the Wikipedia entry for Cort has to say:

"Cort’s main production focus is not on Cort-brand guitars, but rather on contract work for numerous other companies. Generally, large companies contract Cort to build lower-priced guitars that have that company’s brand on them. Ibanez, Parkwood, Squier, G&L Tribute series line of guitars are among the most well-known brands that Cort produces. In recent years, small companies known for extremely high quality (and high-priced) guitars have begun contracting Cort to produce budget line models. Avalon, based out of Northern Ireland, sold 8,000 guitars and more than doubled their income from the previous year when they contracted Cort to build a lower-priced guitar for them."

Interestingly, the same entry then goes on to document serious [color=#252525]allegations of mistreatment of factory workers, leading up to mass hunger strikes by Cort workers and even one worker setting himself on fire in protest. Wonder whether that explains why MTD Kingston shifted production to China?! (Not that China's record on factory workers' rights in anything to write home about, but hey ...)[/color]

[color=#252525]Anyway, to get back to the OP: [/color]
[color=#252525]if (and that's a big 'if') you can find a secondhand Kingston Heir, snap it up - problem solved. [/color]