Why become a member? ×

On the hunt for a back-up bass!

action_panzer

My current backup is a Squier Affinity P, which while sounding pretty good is beginning to wear and feels flimsy. It also couldn't be more different to my regular gigging bass (an SR!) so its being relegated to a studio workhorse now!

The kind of thing I'm looking for is this:

Preferably active (I prefer a modern tone to a classic Fender tone - particularly Jazz)
Jazz style neck - nut no wider than 40mm, preferably 38
Under £400 - not fussed if new or second hand

To sum up, I like the feel of a Jazz and the sound of a StingRay, and don't have much cash!

I had thought a second hand Warwick would fit the bill nicely but, and this will make me sound like a fool, I'm not sure I could get used to having no dots on the neck!

The Squier Troy Sanders Mustang looks like a nice bit of kit, but I haven't heard/played one, but I'm not wild about single coils...

As ever, the wisdom and generosity of the Basschat community is always appreciated! :)

Ray 34 or a Sandberg Basic are the two that jump most readily to mind, not sure on the neck profiles of those though. You should be able to pick them up with that budget, but it would be at the top end of the budget.

Mex Fender jazz deluxe? Seems to fit the bill, one went on ebay the other day for about 400.

I'd be careful with Warwicks; they generally add a growl that makes them quite distinctive & not particularly like a jazz. And they have a different shape to the neck - off-set shape so it's wider/flatter behind the E/A string then curves round under the D/G. Or they did when I bought mine anyway, I think it's quite nice but it doesn't feel like a jazz.

Skinny neck/active/under £400 - sounds like something from the Ibanez Soundgear range to me, masses of choice within that price range if you're buying used.

I've had two Japanese SR800s, regret selling both - excellent playable, versatile, lightweight & great-looking basses.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1396425206' post='2413302']
I'm not sure I could get used to having no dots on the neck!
[/quote]

It's really no problem (for me). I thought that too but I found if I do look down at the neck I see the side dots more than I would have seen the front dots.

Also another one for the TRB. I've not played the new ones but the one I have is lovely! :)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1396435385' post='2413468']
I've had two Japanese SR800s, regret selling both - excellent playable, versatile, lightweight & great-looking basses.
[/quote]

Amen to that. I got one recently that had been changed to passive but all the original bits had been kept and were included in the sale. I had it looked at - pre-amp was shot to bits but I got it repaired and put back to stock. It is now a very good bass indeed, extremely versatile.

Another option would be the Frankenstein route - which worked out ok for me. I had a Westone Thunder Jet that I had fitted with a P-Retro. It was nice. I then got an itch to try a Musicman pickup, so I got one on here secondhand, sent the whole lot off to Bass Doc and Howard routed out a space for it then made a scratchplate to fit. Now I've got something unique - it sounds great, plays really well and looks pretty cool too.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1396458637' post='2413953']
Sterling by Musicman Sub are worth checking out. Tried one at the London Bass Guitar Show, was very impressed.
[/quote]

+1. My first thought on reading your reqs' and they have a 38 nut (the standard Ray34s have 41 or 43 from memory)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396431435' post='2413395']
If you don't 'need' a Stingray like sound then the Squier Active Deluxe Jazz (3 band EQ and a slap switch) comes in at under £300 new.
[/quote]

I have one of these. Awesome bit of kit for the money. The Slap Switch is kinda superfluous, but the 3 band eq has a great variety of tones and the neck is comfortable to play, even for someone like me with 'Hobbit Hands!'. I was a bit unsure about buying a Squier initially but I was blown away by the finish quality. A minor tweak on the action and fresh strings was all it needed to get it playing as I like.

[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-deluxe-jazz-bass-iv-active-4-string-electric-guitar-in-black.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CNiKm4Diw70CFanjwgodB1wAGg"]http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-deluxe-jazz-bass-iv-active-4-string-electric-guitar-in-black.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CNiKm4Diw70CFanjwgodB1wAGg[/url]

I have the above but in a five string. It was bought as a back up, but gets used more than my Fender.

Sterling by Musicman Sub are worth checking out. Tried one at the London Bass Guitar Show, was very impressed.
[/quote]

I can recommend these too - I've got one as well as an older USA EBMM SUB - and the SbMM SUB Ray4 is getting more play time. Mostly because it's lighter and my back is giving me grief lately, but it's still very impressive for the money.

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1396475706' post='2414226']
+1. My first thought on reading your reqs' and they have a 38 nut (the standard Ray34s have 41 or 43 from memory)
[/quote]

Yep - Ray34 is 43mm but the Ray34ca is 38mm

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1396440514' post='2413619']
The Fender Modern Player Jazz would work. Not active, but has two chunky humbuckers with coil switches (loads of tones) and obviously a nice Jazz neck.

+1 to that.

They run at about £400 off the peg.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have one like this:

and although it needed a bit of work to set it up, it's very good indeed.

G.

Check out the ibanez ATK range! There are a few for sale on here and they are great alternatives for Stingrays.
One example:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/233476-ibanez-atk-700-in-translucent-blue-5-piece-neck-flamed-maple-top-swamp-ash-made-in-korea/page__pid__2414824#entry2414824

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback - I've decided to shortlist a Warwick Corvette (really really really want a doublebuck....might have to save quite a bit more!), the Yamaha TRB (looks like an absolute steal - i played a BB1500 years ago and it was an excellent bass), and the Ibanez Soundgear range, which have tempted me for a long while.

The Fender Jazz has the feel I'm after but my sound at the moment is all about seriously growly mids and hot pickups - to that end I think the Warwick excels...but it does cost twice what I'm looking at spending.........

Someone mentioned G&L to me a while ago, but when I checked them out they seemed to have 43mm nuts - does this sound about right to you lot? They look like great basses but I'm really not after another chunky neck...

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1396425206' post='2413302']
My current backup is a Squier Affinity P, which while sounding pretty good is beginning to wear and feels flimsy. It also couldn't be more different to my regular gigging bass (an SR!) so its being relegated to a studio workhorse now!

The kind of thing I'm looking for is this:

Preferably active (I prefer a modern tone to a classic Fender tone - particularly Jazz)
Jazz style neck - nut no wider than 40mm, preferably 38
Under £400 - not fussed if new or second hand

To sum up, I like the feel of a Jazz and the sound of a StingRay, and don't have much cash!

I had thought a second hand Warwick would fit the bill nicely but, and this will make me sound like a fool, I'm not sure I could get used to having no dots on the neck!

The Squier Troy Sanders Mustang looks like a nice bit of kit, but I haven't heard/played one, but I'm not wild about single coils...

As ever, the wisdom and generosity of the Basschat community is always appreciated! :)
[/quote]

Find a nice used Jazz bass, and install a John East J-Retro preamp (often found for sale here for around £100).
I'm not crazy about the Warwick Corvette. I owned two, a standard (two J pickups) and a $$. The $$ was pretty cool, the neck felt too long and chunky too, and seriously, a Jazz with a J-Retro will give you a really cool fat growl from the bridge pickup.

Edited by mcnach