Why become a member? ×

Pino Playing Fretless With NIN

HowieBass

If that first track had just been any track, then I would have been very impressed with his playing, but it isn't, it is sanctified by NiN, which brings back a lot of memories, so no, I would say he f***ed it up badly! Luckily, I saw them at scala before he joined, so I didn't get to hear that version, I got to hear the proper one. Sadly I am seeing them again in may, so that will be a bit disappointing, but they might not play it, there is a lot of other stuff.

I am sure he can bring something to the new stuff, hopefully they aren't going to mess up too much of the older stuff.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396381327' post='2413007']
Pino is on the new album.
[/quote]

Yep, it is a very different album, very melodic, not very NiN which is reasonably interesting and undoubtedly will grow on me eventually. I guess even the angriest of us have to cheer up at some point! There is nothing that bad on it, although a lot of it is very much the sort of music you listen to while doing something else.

It's called progression, NIN was put to sleep a few years ago, the beast has now arisen but in a different form. Good bands progress and experiment. I've loved NIN from the early nineties and seen them many times. I prefer their raw industrial but respect the progression and his need for change.

Rich

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1396428521' post='2413351']
It's called progression, NIN was put to sleep a few years ago, the beast has now arisen but in a different form. Good bands progress and experiment. I've loved NIN from the early nineties and seen them many times. I prefer their raw industrial but respect the progression and his need for change.
[/quote]

Agreed with the progression, that is what the newer albums are for, clearly there have been several different groups with the same name, the stuff up to further down the spiral, the stuff to the end, and now the new stuff, that is fine, I like them for their own merits.

Just for me, he totally wrecks that track, I can see no merit in it at all (although I do actually like the bassline in its own right).

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1396431597' post='2413401']
I'm fine with that version, it's quite different and has a nice bassline. If I want the original spiky angry version I can just put Pretty Hate Machine on.
[/quote]

This is true, I could stay at home and not go to the gig, but that isn't really the point is it?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1396455354' post='2413896']
This is true, I could stay at home and not go to the gig, but that isn't really the point is it?
[/quote]

Yeah, as I can't afford these kind of gigs then I don't have the choice to see them live - I wasn't implying that your situation is the same as mine. Seems like a decent bunch of musicians anyway.

Undoubtedly good musicians, although I have never seen NiN without good musicians.
Saw them at scala last august which was billed as the warm up for this tour so not sure why Pino wasn't with them yet, but it was great to see them at quite a small venue, which made for a good gig, bit of a different atmosphere than the O2 as you could actually reach the stage at scala. Josh Eustis was playing bass (and alternately most other things), and he seemed pretty good, not that NiN really ever had any challenging basslines!

Based on those clips , I think Pino fits his style effortlessly into NIN's music, and, more surprisingly perhaps , he seems to look perfectly at home, too.

I suppose avid fans of the band might take exception to different arrangements of their music to accommodate the style of a new musician in the band, whoever it might be, and they are perfectly entitled to do so, but as a (very) casual listener of NIN's music myself , I think resurrecting Pino's languid, futuristic fretless playing style from the early 1980's is a bit of a masterstroke on Trent Reznor's part. .

I know Trent was influenced by the music of Gary Numan , and it was on Gary's 1982 album I Assassin that Pino first came to prominence as a fretless stylist [i]par excellence[/i]. I am sure that history has influenced NIN'S current choice of bass player. I would think Pino could excel in the context of NIN's intense electronic musical textures , not least of all because it is in fact very familiar ground to him.

Edited by Dingus

Thanks for the post! I have NIN downward spiral (somewhere) and there a moment on that album are incredible, others not so much IMO. Sort of fell away from them and This Song in particular reminds me of what I really love about them.
I have to admit (ducking for cover) that I knew of Pino and the respect he gets on these pages, but never really studies his stuff. Holy bat crap! I've been missing out spectacularly!! I love his groove on sanctified, and now I want a fretless... Made the mistake of going into my local music shop to see a second hand stingray 5 fretless staring me down.

Havnt been able to stop watching this clip though

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396647672' post='2416172']
I sometimes think that Pino has one of the best jobs on the planet :D
[/quote]

Hell yes! Putting aside the fact that he's playing with The Who, John Mayer and NIN to name but a few, the variety of stuff he's doing is inspirational. And yet he always sounds like Pino, while managing to fit in with what he's doing and serve the band/tune entirely...that's what gets me. A player's player.

I'm sorry to buck the love, but I wish NIN had given PP a wide berth. There's a whole other topic about this elsewhere. This is not the band I've grown to love over the last two decades any more.

I don't give a rats ass about progress or talent on show; the whole vibe/edge has gone from the band right now. This is about aggressive as Paul Young.

Disappointed.